HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted May 31, 2009, 11:12 PM
Transport Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
Please enjoy some pretty pictures since I dont have any development news to post at the moment:
LOVE Sedona! Only went once while I was living in Phoenix (regret that...). This is a great pic! For some reason, the one's on the website aren't nearly as good...I really wish I could have explored more of Northern AZ.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2009, 5:42 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
http://www.azdailysun.com/articles/2...ont_198566.txt

Quote:
City touts four projects worth $100M

By JOE FERGUSON
Sun Staff Reporter
Monday, June 22, 2009

How would you spend nearly $100 million in taxpayer money?

It is a question the Flagstaff City Council is hoping residents will answer on Tuesday night as it holds a town hall forum on four major projects that will need voter approval to move forward. The meeting will be held in the Sinagua High School Commons from 6 to 8 p.m.

The most expensive of the four proposals is the Lone Tree Railroad Overpass, connecting Butler Avenue to Route 66 just east of downtown Flagstaff. The most recent estimate, according to City Manager Kevin Burke, has the construction of the overpass as well as securing the necessary property costing the city as much as $45 million to build

City planners believe that once Lone Tree is expanded to handle larger traffic volumes and connect to Route 66, traffic volume on Milton Road will decrease. But that prospect will be enhanced only if portions of Lone Tree Road between Butler Avenue and Interstate 40 are widened to four lanes, and a new highway interchange is built.

The widened Lone Tree would force the closure of Kinsey Elementary School, and require the city to compensate Flagstaff Unified School District.

CITY COURT TOO SMALL

A new city court is also being proposed at a cost of between $17 million and $23 million.

A study performed last year by an outside consultant suggested that the city needed a much larger facility -- between 40,000 to 50,000 square feet -- to handle current case loads. The size of the current city court is roughly 15,000 square feet.

The city is also testing the waters on building a new public works yard in west Flagstaff, with an estimated $20 million price tag.

The current facility is no longer adequate to keep up with the city maintenance needs, with at least some work being performed in the yard, not in the garages.

If approved, the city would eventually move the public works yard out of the location near Flagstaff Middle School.

Several departments have expressed interest in the property, but the city's environmental sustainability manager, Rebecca Sayers, said the soil might need to be cleaned up first before any department could move in.

She said large fuel tanks have already been removed but the building might have some surface contamination from being used for decades by the city to repair heavy machinery and vehicles.

LAP POOL FOR AQUAPLEX

The city is also interested in building an eight-lane, 25-meter competitive lap pool adjacent to the Aquaplex for roughly $10 million. A competitive lap pool had been part of the design in the voter-approved 2004 aquatic center bond, but was eliminated to save projected costs of building the current Aquaplex.

Burke said there is some discussion by councilmembers that the city should build an Olympic-size swimming pool, which would be 50 meters long. But if the city moved forward with the larger pool it would need to be build somewhere else and would likely cost more than $10 million.

While the Council has given tacit approval to the four bond proposals, Burke is encouraging residents to speak up about bond projects they might want to see on the November 2010 ballot.

"It is a town hall, so bring it up," he said.

Joe Ferguson can be reached at jferguson@azdailysun.com or 556-2253.

Four bond projects

Lone Tree Railroad Overpass $45M

New City Court $17M-$23M

New Public Work Yard $20M

New Lap Pool $10M

Total: $92M-$98M

If you go...

Town Hall meeting to discuss capital projects

Tuesday, June 23

6-8 p.m.

Sinagua High School Commons

Old Posted Jun 23, 2009, 6:39 PM

If someone has posted this already, I apologize, but this bridge is pretty amazing. It is the new Hoover Dam bypass which will be completed in 2010, assuming funding doesn't dry up before then:
http://www.hooverdambypass.org

Here are some recent shots from the above link (these are all from March 2009, I believe it is now actually connected in the middle):

And a render of the completed bridge:

Old Posted Jun 23, 2009, 7:27 PM

Damn, it was fun to drive on top of Hoover.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2009, 7:47 PM

To each his own, its a fucken pain in the neck driving through the Hoover dam. Why does my 3 & 1/2 hour drive to Vegas have to turn into a 4 & 1/2 to 5 hour drive because a bunch of tourist want to look over the edge. Its just a freaking damn. And don't get me started on the return trip. This past Memorial Day weekend was the fucken nightmare. Two whole hours spent, wasted just trying to get past the stupid check point and idiodic tourists at the dam They can't get the bridge built fast enough.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2009, 7:55 PM

/\ You should have went through Laughlin. Last time I went to Vegas, the pack up at the dam on the drive home started in Boulder City, like 7 miles to Hoover Dam... We turned around and took US95 through Laughlin and it didn't take much longer than a normal/non traffic trip. I also can't wait until the bridge is done. If not for that crane collapse a couple years ago, it would be done right now.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2009, 12:56 AM

Well now you wont have to make a long side trip - all through traffic will use the bridge so tourists only will be permitted on the dam road.

Driving on this should be a lot more spectacular than using the dam anyway, as the bridge looks to be much higher over the river.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2009, 1:37 AM
High Voltage

The bridge will be a welcome relief to travelers between Phoenix and Vegas, or anywhere else one is going using this route, when completed. But dam (pun intended), this thing is taking FOREVER to complete.

Last edited by TAZ4ate0; Jun 24, 2009 at 1:48 AM.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2009, 2:52 AM
Nigel

Please correct me if you find this canuck to be wrong, but the Hoover Dam is in Arizona or Nevada? And therefore I'm going to assume that this bypass is on the Arizona side?

Old Posted Jun 24, 2009, 2:54 AM
Nigel

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
Well I know Kaneui had a Flagstaff thread over at SSC (maybe you can encourage those folks to migrate here?), but I figured now that we have our own Southwest forum and we won't be making too big of a mess we could start something similar here.

Since Flagstaff probably doesn't have enough development going on to necessitate its own thread, I made this a general Northern AZ thread.

Here are some helpful sites to keep abreast of things in Northern AZ:
The Arizona Daily Sun
The Prescott Daily Courier

So feel free to discuss all the fast paced action in Chinle, Heber or wherever else in this thread.

Please enjoy some pretty pictures since I dont have any development news to post at the moment:

Absolutely amazing! You have such a beautiful state right in your back yard

Old Posted Jun 24, 2009, 7:48 PM
under the influence...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
Please correct me if you find this canuck to be wrong, but the Hoover Dam is in Arizona or Nevada? And therefore I'm going to assume that this bypass is on the Arizona side?
Both sides.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2009, 8:49 PM

A bit more clarification to the above post... the Hoover Dam is on the Colorado River, which is the border between AZ/NV in that area... so the dam is in both states, and the bridge and US93 construction is on the AZ and NV sides... two approaches.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2009, 9:49 PM

Wow, this thing will cut the travel time to 3.5 hours? I retract my previous statement.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2009, 1:32 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigirdbers View Post
Wow, this thing will cut the travel time to 3.5 hours? I retract my previous statement.
Depends on what part of the Valley you're coming from and your speed, but 3.5 hours to Vegas seems like a stretch to me. I think the bypass will typically cut about a half hour off the trip, making my trip from north Scottsdale at around 4.5 hours total.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2009, 6:12 PM

/\Disagree, I was in Vegas in February and in May. The February trip took 45 minutes to cross the dam into Nevada and 1 hour on the return. The May trip was about 1.5 hours to cross into Nevada and just over 2 hours on the return. The actual drive time from Phoenix to Vegas is about 4 hours not including the time wasted at the dam. If you drive at “increased” speeds you can cut that down to about 3.5 hours, again not including the time crossing the dam. The only concerns are the speed traps just before Wickenburg, Wikieup, Kingman and the photo radar about 40 miles past Kingman.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2009, 6:35 PM

Interesting, from Chandler it was always like 5 hours at least.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2009, 6:50 PM
E pluribus unum

Do some of you have JATO packs attached to your cars?

Five, five and a half hours from Ahwatukee...

Old Posted Jun 29, 2009, 7:05 PM
BANNED

I've done it in 4 from downtown...

Old Posted Jun 29, 2009, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
Do some of you have JATO packs attached to your cars?

Five, five and a half hours from Ahwatukee...
If your talking about total drive time then yeah, you're pretty much spot on. But just consider that if it wasn't for the laughable security check points on both the Nevada and Arizona sides that were put in place after 9/11 combined with the time it takes to cross the dam you could easily shave an hour off of your commute without adding those jet packs to your car.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2009, 8:05 AM
E pluribus unum

So I just moved to Flagstaff and noticed there's some kind of half-built "lifestyle center" on Butler and Sawmill. Am I wrong in presuming that's where this Super Wal-Mart is supposed to be built? What's the deal with that town center, anyway?

And why the hell do you practically need a 4x4 to drive on Butler?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest