HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinko View Post
^Even if just the lots between Van Buren and Hance Park (3rd to 3rd) got filled up with 3-7 story buildings, DT Phoenix would be a vastly different place.

I'd actually rather see that than more office 20-25 story office towers.
That or a mixture in between. As long as they continued with the trend of coffee shops, independent restaurants, etc, etc, I think it'd be fine. Honestly, I'd like to hope for that at this point than get my heart broke over things like CityScape.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2009, 12:06 AM

That along with more affordable living.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2009, 8:08 AM

I like going to the Hooters in Arizona center when i'm out there

Old Posted Nov 9, 2009, 8:21 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofleos View Post
Yeah, San Diego and San Francisco among most other big cities, had more to work with than us.
OK. Here's what San Francisco had to work with:

Source: http://www.livescience.com/php/multi...ick+to+enlarge.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2009, 8:46 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
OK. Here's what San Francisco had to work with:
SF population in 1940: 600,000
Phx population in 1940: 65,414

So I think its fair to say SF had a much larger stock of buildings built in the pre war, walkable, non auto dominated era. I hope your post was a joke, otherwise its retarded.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2009, 3:16 PM

^ I agree. San Francisco in 1906 (when that photo was taken) had around 350,000 people. Phoenix had something like 5,500 people. Phoenix was basically a dusty agricultural village in the middle of nowhere, in a place that was still a territory at the time (Arizona was not admitted as a state until six years later, in 1912). In fact, SF had about three times the population of the entire state of Arizona in 1906.

--don

Old Posted Nov 9, 2009, 3:18 PM
BANNED

BTinSF has a point.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2009, 3:52 PM

^ He does not. SF was a completely different, and much larger city, than Phoenix was back then. Yes, a good portion of the city was destroyed by the 1906 earthquake, but certainly not everything, and what was destroyed was quickly rebuilt in the next five years. Phoenix didn't start to grow on that scale until the 1950s, and let's face it, construction styles changed a lot between 1910 and 1950 in the United States. In 1910, hardly anything catered to the automobile. By 1950, the car was king, and development reflected that.

Geography also played a huge role in how the cities developed. SF sits on a tiny spit of land, surrounded by water on three sides, and is about the same size as the city of Tempe. Phoenix, on the other hand, sits in a broad flat plain. There are no natural barriers to sprawl in Phoenix.

--don

Old Posted Nov 10, 2009, 2:52 AM

I don't see it as it being over for Arizona Center if they can survive this downturn, with ASU started and potentially expanding downtown and more people living downtown in the future, it could still make it bigger then they have.
Initially if they had been able to get an exclusive on say the first Nordstrom,
the first Bloomingdales and Barney's New York it would have been an interesting social/economic thing to see what would have happened. I tend to think people who never came downtown before except for a sporting event would have made it a habit. Just one mans opinion.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2009, 3:38 PM

hahahaha ya I can just see a Nordstroms, Barney's, or Bloomingdales at AZ Center. LOL. There are people in Scottsdale who are afraid of the Biltmore area...I don't think they'll make it down to any of the President-streets

Old Posted Nov 10, 2009, 9:58 PM

I went to the AZ Center today and there was a bunch of activity. It was at 1 pm so im sure it was a lot of office workers and ASU students. I bought something from there.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2009, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXguyinOKC View Post
I went to the AZ Center today and there was a bunch of activity. It was at 1 pm so im sure it was a lot of office workers and ASU students. I bought something from there.
The Greenbuild Conference is in town and I think I read somewhere that they have like 25K attendees so its probably related to that too.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2009, 10:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXguyinOKC View Post
I went to the AZ Center. I bought something from there.
So you now own a bottle of Arizona Gunslinger hot sauce? or a kokopelli? Maybe a shirt that says "I'll give up football after I give up breathing"?

Old Posted Nov 10, 2009, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicelord John View Post
So you now own a bottle of Arizona Gunslinger hot sauce? or a kokopelli? Maybe a shirt that says "I'll give up football after I give up breathing"?
well, a bottle of water and an AZ flag

Old Posted Nov 11, 2009, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynnjamin View Post
There are people in Scottsdale who are afraid of the Biltmore area...I don't think they'll make it down to any of the President-streets
You must be joking.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2009, 11:10 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxPavilion View Post
You must be joking.
unfortunately, he isn't. I deal with people every day that won't go anywhere that has a Phoenix address. I've almost started physical fights with people by telling them Kierland is in Phoenix. They just don't want to hear it and are scared of anything with Phoenix in it. I had a lady today tell me she doesn't go into Chicago because she doesn't want to get killed and stays near her home in Highland Park.

People are just.... stupid.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2009, 11:54 PM

^Thanks John. To be honest, there are people in the East Valley (middle class neighborhoods) who won't even go into Phx because they are terrified of it. All you had to do was ride the LRT during the first free week and listen to people's reactions as they went through... I actually have friends who lived in Greyhawk and moved to Carefree because of the "blight that was taking over North Scottsdale".

Old Posted Nov 12, 2009, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynnjamin View Post
^Thanks John. To be honest, there are people in the East Valley (middle class neighborhoods) who won't even go into Phx because they are terrified of it. All you had to do was ride the LRT during the first free week and listen to people's reactions as they went through... I actually have friends who lived in Greyhawk and moved to Carefree because of the "blight that was taking over North Scottsdale".
Pathetic.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2009, 7:29 AM

Obviously we're never going to see a Bloomingdales at the Az Center but I would love to see stores like JC Pennys, Kohls, Sears, etc at the AZ Center or downtown somewhere. The Urban Form plan zones for those type of stores on West Van Buren between 7th Ave and 3rd ave, so maybe thatll happen someday.

Id love to see a box department store replace that surface lot on Fillmore and 4th St, or perhaps one of the grassy area, or if the movie theater was scaled back in some of that space.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2009, 6:35 PM
them bones

Still, all the wrong locations for big box. I have no problem with larger stores going into DT Phoenix, but they have to be located correctly. To me the best location is just south of the BOB. (I'm talking Target, Home Depot or Costco).

Van Buren is a commercial oriented street, but not that type.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest