HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 9:14 PM

Southwest Home and Garden Thread

Sorry for the off-topic (Combusean, delete it if needed) but I went to buy a new tree for the back yard, went in wanting to get a Fan-tex Ash and left with a Walnut tree!

I like the tree type (shade, fruit) but I haven't ever seen on in the Phoenix area. I've seen Pecans and they do well, but never a Walnut.
The guy at Moon Valley Nursery said they do well and I assume they wouldn't sell them if they didn't especially since they are warranted for 1 yr.

So...anyone have experience or know anyone with a Walnut tree in Phoenix?

Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 9:16 PM

No, I don't know if they do well, but proper watering couldn't hurt. What is your watering situation going to be like? What size box was it? 24"? 36"?

Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 9:22 PM

I got a 24" box, they are closing down one of their locations and it was only $75! Pretty tall too...probably about 12' or so.

Watering...it'll be planted in the grass part of the yard and I will probably water it by hand (hose, letting it to slowly water over a few hours at the base of the tree) like I do my peach and ficus.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 9:28 PM

Yeah, slow long watering is definitely good. You should try watering it away from the base of the tree, like near the outside of the branch canopy. This way, the roots will grow outward from the base, seeking the water. It will make the tree healthier and give the tree a better base, making it stronger and more resistant to toppling over due to monsoon thunderstorm winds.

Which moon valley were you at and how long is their sale?

Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 9:31 PM
them bones

^Seems to me that some family friends had some large walnut trees in their yard in south Scottsdale when I was a kid and they were huge. We used to pick up all the walnuts off the ground and wash them for later eating.

Pretty sure they were walnuts...

Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 9:43 PM

Ok, that's a good sign. I called a few other nurseries...two of them didn't know and one of them, Bakers, said that "they do better elsewhere" but that was the extent of it. We had them as a kid (back in Romania) and I'd love to have one here (to accompany the Peach, Orange, Lemon, and Grapefruit trees).

PHX31...two locations are closing down, one at 101 and Chandler and the other at 101 and Thunderbird, it says the sale will last till they sale out. I know sometimes these seem like gimmicks, but they had some really good prices, like 24" box Ash for $40, normally $400 supposedly.

The Walnut was originally $375 and I paid $75 and I also bought a 24" grapefruit for $160, originally $399. The "original" prices are way inflated but the after discount price are pretty good I thought.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 9:51 PM

Damn, I think I paid about $400 (maybe, can't remember) each for 2 elms I bought from Whitfill, which was cheaper than Moon Valley at the time. Moon Valley was annoying, they were like a used car lot. The initial salesman typed up my order, then went in the back to talk to the manager and he played with the prices to get me "a better deal". Then they kept calling me after I said I'm going to think about it and I left.

I'll definitely have to check out those sales... I would like another tree or two in my back yard. But if they are closing down, how will they guarantee your tree for a year? Or will the other Moon Valley's honor your guarantee?

Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 9:59 PM

The tree will do just fine with ample watering. My grandma has had her walnut tree for over 3 decades. Enjoy the tree!

Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post

I'll definitely have to check out those sales... I would like another tree or two in my back yard. But if they are closing down, how will they guarantee your tree for a year? Or will the other Moon Valley's honor your guarantee?
I am assuming any Moon Valley Nursery will honor the warranty, I will double check out.

I know what you are saying about the pricing and used car salesmen type of atmosphere. Im actually going back to check on something as I think I got jipped on the grapefruit tree. Im almost certain when I asked out in the yard, he said $120, but rang it up as $160. Im going to check the price on the tree itself and see.

Oh yea, they also had $1000 priced 32" box for $300 (cash and carry), that seemed like a pretty good deal.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Valley's
Valleys

Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 10:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Valleys

Old Posted Jul 18, 2009, 7:30 AM
this could have been...

glad to see folks are planting trees. i've planted several around my place over the past few years. i don't recommend the Fan-tex ash; i'd choose a diff Ash.
would love to get a walnut tree - my fave nut (or 2nd fave!)
How is your peach tree doing HX? age? size? fruit?

Old Posted Jul 18, 2009, 3:01 PM

Why would you recommend against the Fax-tex ash? I thought that is the kind that they have planted at the Civic Park in downtown and I personally prefer it over Shamel and Arizona Ash because it grows rounder vs those two that grow taller then wider.

Im actually going back to cancel the Walnut for the Fan-tex. The Walnut is great, but I think the novelty could wear off and then it can become a huge mess. Plus, it will be close to the pool and having walnuts fall int he pool and plug up the pool vac could be a problem. Add to that Im reading that walnut trees secrete some sort of oil that kills just about every plant that grows within its drip line, including grass, which is where it would be planted. Seems like a bit too much of a hassle and could be a turn-off for people when it comes to resell later on.

The tree I end up with will go in the grass area, approx. in front of where you see the blue pool float on the pool deck:

Last edited by HX_Guy; Jul 18, 2009 at 3:17 PM.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2009, 4:43 PM
BANNED

Great backyard! I like the pineapple palm (canary island?) and the ficus. You're gonna have nice shade in about 5-10 years.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2009, 4:49 PM
BANNED

Ficus trees.... Ugh.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2009, 5:22 PM

What, how can you not like Ficus? It's the best tree out here in my opinion.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2009, 5:34 PM
BANNED

I like them... Just my place is literally covered in them look on google maps at the complex between camden and artisan. They are just getting old to me because of how many fucking birds sleep in them and shit on you. Seriously, no tree attracts birds like a ficus. They love to roost in them.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2009, 6:38 PM

Yea I can see how there could be too many of them. I've got two and was actually going to do a third but decided to change it up.

To finish off the story, I went back to the nursery and got a killer deal on a Fan-tex Ash. 32" box, probably about 15-18' tall...talked them down to $160! It was originally marked $800 and I know they never actually sell them at full price, but usually they do 50% off so it's still a $400 tree for $160. Not bad right? If anyone is looking for any kind of plant or tree I definitely recommend checking it out, some really good deals.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2009, 7:14 PM
this could have been...

i think that's just it; i wanted an ash that is taller and wider and leafier.
the fan-tex i've learned has a "poodling" effect - long branches w/ clusters of leaves at the end like a poodle's tail. i like it, but w/o researching beforehand, i wish i had chosen a diff. ash.
i love Ficus trees, too. i think they look great on Mill Ave, and wish there more around DT Phx etc. just cuz of the dense shade provided. i do like a variety - i've planted live oak, cork oak, 3 diff pines, chinese pistache, chinese (evergreen) elm, jacaranda and sissoo. and a sycamore, which i love. good that you researched the walnut before planting HX - any tree planted near a pool needs detailed info about what it drops and also if the roots will affect your pool. great backyard - i vote HX's home for the next SSP PHX meet!

Old Posted Jul 18, 2009, 7:36 PM

Your backyard will look awesome once the trees mature... in the mean time it still looks good, especially the grass!

I'll post some before and after pictures of my backyard later if you want. It will show the trees I planted.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest