HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jul 18, 2009, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIXPHX77 View Post
i think that's just it; i wanted an ash that is taller and wider and leafier.
the fan-tex i've learned has a "poodling" effect - long branches w/ clusters of leaves at the end like a poodle's tail. i like it, but w/o researching beforehand, i wish i had chosen a diff. ash.
So you're doesn't look like this? This is a Fan-tex Ash.

A Shamel Ash is very similar tho as I said it grows a bit taller then it does wide, usually 2/3 of it's height in width, plus a bit bigger overall and I didn't really want to over power the yard.
The Shamel is considered a "large" tree growing 45-50 feet (sometimes reaching 80') while the Fan-tex is "Medium-Large" growing 30-45 ft.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2009, 8:25 PM
this could have been...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
Your backyard will look awesome once the trees mature... in the mean time it still looks good, especially the grass!

I'll post some before and after pictures of my backyard later if you want. It will show the trees I planted.
yes, i would like to see that. i'm a fan of flora and fauna, but esp. trees.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2009, 9:36 PM

I found some photos I took back in April at the Civic Park that shows the trees I like and I believe they are the Fan-tex Ash. The one I bought won't be at my house until Tuesday the 28th so I can't take pictures of that one but Im pretty sure it's the same as the ones in the park.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2009, 10:12 PM
this could have been...

yes, that's it. And in the 2nd photo from the top, with the lady in blue, you can kinda see what i was referring to - there are a lot of bare branches, then clusters of leaves.
they must fill in more when they get more mature as in the earlier photos you posted. mine is young.
will the roots cause any problems w/ your pool?

Old Posted Jul 18, 2009, 10:19 PM

Quote:
will the roots cause any problems w/ your pool?
I think it should be ok. It will be close to the pool deck, but the actual pool itself will be about 12 or so feet from the base of the tree. That should be ok I think.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2009, 1:27 PM
BANNED

HX, fyi, when your trees reach maturity just beware that bermuda grass requires full sun. You may have to re-seed with a shade tolerant summer grass under the canopy of trees.

Winter rye will flourish sun or shade.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2009, 5:34 PM
this could have been...

so just to clarify, winter rye works here either in winter sun or summer shade, right?

Old Posted Jul 19, 2009, 6:08 PM
BANNED

no, winter rye will NOT grow in the summer under any conditions. It will die as soon as the temps hit 85.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2009, 1:17 AM
BANNED

You can get winter rye to survive well into June...you just have to water, water, water. And you can start to re-seed as early as September, again, heavy water, until the weather cools.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2009, 4:48 PM

Quote:
yes, i would like to see that. i'm a fan of flora and fauna, but esp. trees.
Sorry for the delay... here are some trees around my yard that I've planted.

The beginning... this is how the backyard was when I bought my house. A mixture of overgrowning bermuda, cinder block sectioning with plants planted in the block holes, bathtubs sunk into the ground being used as a pond, and crappy bushes overrun by bermuda.

I took everything out by hand and installed drip systems and sprinkler systems and put in grass. I put in a block wall and then had Whitfill plant my trees. They were planted just over a year ago in late May, 2008. (sorry all the pictures are crappy it was getting dark)

The back wall area... I have two elm trees (Chinese elm? Arizona elm?) and a row of column ficus beginning to make a sweet hedge/screenwall from the alley and stuff behind. To the right of this picture is my gate and two citrus trees (tangelo and lemon).

The elm trees are probably 15'-20' tall now and have almost doubled their size already. The ficus trees were barely as tall as the wall last year and were much more spread out... it's amazing how fast everything has grown.

I'll prune and shape the elms in the winter:

Ficus hedge approx 8-10' tall:

I planted this ash tree near my house, I can't wait until it grows more and gives me some good shade. It has grown about 2-3' so far this spring/summer and is about 20' tall now.

I have this cool pepper tree (can't remember the exact name) in my front yard, it has to be at least 30 years old.

Here's my pride and joy... The same pepper tree as in the front yard. This grew from a seed on accident next to my citrus trees last year. I transplanted it to the side of the house in the winter and it survived and is kicking ass!

My backyard's flora and fauna:

I have to install some edges around my trees and along the walls (i have about 5' on all sides next to the grass to become planters... and I'm going to put in a paver patio along the house next to the deck I built.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2009, 5:17 PM

HX Guy, have you ever thought about a Sissoo? Besides mesquites they are probably the fastest growing trees that will do well in this desert. Besides buying a mesquite for shade is like having sex without finishing, whats the point?

Old Posted Jul 21, 2009, 4:42 AM
this could have been...

PHX31 - nice yard - you did a great job! What a transformation.
and kudos for using Whitfill, a local business since '46. good boy, doberman.
Canuc and HX - i was also gonna recommend the Sissoo - a nice, fast grower with bright green leaves.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2009, 3:49 PM
BANNED

that dog looks ready to eat someone...

Old Posted Jul 21, 2009, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicelord John View Post
that dog looks ready to eat someone...
You never know what or who might be walking down the alley or trying to break into my house.

But dobermans are the best dogs.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2009, 10:02 PM
BANNED

Agree with Canuc. Sissoo is a great tree that grows like a weed. Go check them out, they seem to be a theme for ASU DT along 1st and 2nd St.

PHX31, that ficus hedge is going to look great once it fills in completely. Nice lush green year 'round.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 4:03 PM
METRO: Encanto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo the Dog View Post
PHX31, that ficus hedge is going to look great once it fills in completely. Nice lush green year 'round.
Agreed. But be careful of frost, they get damaged pretty easily. In early 2007 we had a hard frost that took our ficus hedge nearly a year to recover from.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo the Dog View Post
Agree with Canuc. Sissoo is a great tree that grows like a weed. Go check them out, they seem to be a theme for ASU DT along 1st and 2nd St.
Call me crazy but I don't really like the Sissoo trees...the leaves are too small and they sort of have a "weeping" look to them. Ash tree is where its at for me.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
Agreed. But be careful of frost, they get damaged pretty easily. In early 2007 we had a hard frost that took our ficus hedge nearly a year to recover from.

Yeah, I'm afraid of that. I hope being against the wall and close together and near a building in the back of the alley my ficus might be just slightly warmer than other areas, at least enough to keep them frost-free.

However, early in the winter we had a serious cold snap (late 2008 or early this year). I was worried and put some sheets over my ficus and citrus. It turns out the parts of the trees that were in contact with the sheet were the only portions that turned black from frost damage. I should have just left the sheet off altogether.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2009, 3:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
Yeah, I'm afraid of that. I hope being against the wall and close together and near a building in the back of the alley my ficus might be just slightly warmer than other areas, at least enough to keep them frost-free.

However, early in the winter we had a serious cold snap (late 2008 or early this year). I was worried and put some sheets over my ficus and citrus. It turns out the parts of the trees that were in contact with the sheet were the only portions that turned black from frost damage. I should have just left the sheet off altogether.
Christmas lights work; all of our ficus without lights died during the last frost. They NEVER recovered.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2009, 4:17 AM

/\ great idea!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest