Quote:
Originally Posted by poconoboy61 View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/21/us...w-nytimes&_r=1

http://www.latimes.com/nation/nation...#axzz2twhANx4F

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...-marriage-bill

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-26299559

http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...tml?tid=pm_pop

http://www.examiner.com/article/ariz...ay-legislation

Yeah, I guess no one really cares. It's only made the New York Times, Los Angeles Times, the Chicago Tribune, the BBC, the Washington Post, and the Examiner, but I guess other than that and the 5.68 million returns in Google regarding this law, it's not really being talked about.
I don't know why you're up in arms. I'm just telling you that I've yet to hear the story, locally, 5 hours west of Phoenix. I also haven't heard of it nationally due to other big, more concerning media stories that are dominating the airwaves.

A potential law in Arizona just isn't as big a news story as it's being made out to be yet. It'll be big news once Brewer signs it into law.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2014, 5:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo the Dog View Post
I honestly haven't heard a word until today. I think most people are watching the Olympics, concerned about the drought, the Ukraine, local goings on etc...nobody really cares about a local law of another state that doesn't affect them.
I think you spoke too soon. It is currently the main story on just about every major news site as I type and on every news channel as a feature story.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2014, 3:41 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksteady View Post
I think you spoke too soon. It is currently the main story on just about every major news site as I type and on every news channel as a feature story.
It's a silly bill/law that won't hold up. I doubt Brewer will sign. The story is now gaining steam, especially since the Olympics ended and Kiev, Ukraine has stabilized. I first heard of it here on SSP 2/21/14. As it gets closer to Brewer either signing/or not, it'll be a more prominent news story in the media.

I wonder if people will be outraged, boycott US corporations that do business in India because of their Gay sex ban with a penalty of 10 years imprisonment? The Olympics didn't leave Russia for their anti-gay laws. I have a feeling we'll keep employing Indians and conducting business with that country of over 1 billion people.

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/29/wo...-ban.html?_r=0

Old Posted Feb 25, 2014, 5:23 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo the Dog View Post
It's a silly bill/law that won't hold up. I doubt Brewer will sign. The story is now gaining steam, especially since the Olympics ended and Kiev, Ukraine has stabilized. I first heard of it here on SSP 2/21/14. As it gets closer to Brewer either signing/or not, it'll be a more prominent news story in the media.

I wonder if people will be outraged, boycott US corporations that do business in India because of their Gay sex ban with a penalty of 10 years imprisonment? The Olympics didn't leave Russia for their anti-gay laws. I have a feeling we'll keep employing Indians and conducting business with that country of over 1 billion people.

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/29/wo...-ban.html?_r=0
Americans are, rightfully, held to a higher standard. When other countries have backwards, intolerant policies, we're not shocked. When it happens in the US, we're disappointed.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2014, 1:52 PM

We're a Phoenix-based entertainment site startup. Here's a cool Skyscraper TV show that's wrapping up tonight - we previewed it today.

Preview: Season Finale Puts the Spotlight on NYC's Tallest and Most Luxurious Condo Tower - Super Skyscrapers www.TVFirstLook.com

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 5:52 AM

Arizona in running for $5 billion Tesla battery factory

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...5-billion.html

I really hope our leaders make a strong push for this, because you know Texas will be. This will bring high paying jobs, and further diversify our economy. And with the Apple, Intel, Google Fiber, and Phoenix Mart the area could become the next Austin in terms of becoming a tech hub.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 3:05 PM

Quote:
http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...5-billion.html

I really hope our leaders make a strong push for this, .
They are.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 3:37 PM

I doubt we have much chance after the SB1062 bullshit, unfortunately.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
I doubt we have much chance after the SB1062 bullshit, unfortunately.
Lets hope her veto tells business leaders we are truly open for business and hope they aren't already tainted by this stupid bill. Time will tell...

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 5:01 PM

I love the media bias.

CNN three days ago: Headline: ARIZONA PASSES ANTI-GAY BILL

CNN today: sidebar link: Ariz. Gov. vetoes anti-gay bill

That's just as hurtful in reality. Now tons of people who don't know any better or read anything else think it was passed and supported by everyone in Arizona and is now law. If the media was less sensational, rational people would understand it wasn't supported by a majority of businesses and people in Arizona and isn't likely to (and didn't) become a law.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 7:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
I love the media bias.

CNN three days ago: Headline: ARIZONA PASSES ANTI-GAY BILL

CNN today: sidebar link: Ariz. Gov. vetoes anti-gay bill

That's just as hurtful in reality. Now tons of people who don't know any better or read anything else think it was passed and supported by everyone in Arizona and is now law. If the media was less sensational, rational people would understand it wasn't supported by a majority of businesses and people in Arizona and isn't likely to (and didn't) become a law.
It's not really media bias. I think the story was building each day and the new pressures from companies and politicians rose to high levels. Since it came to a crescendo last night CNN's website and the actual CNN (including most all media outlets across the country) were doing wall-to-wall coverage. They actually broadcasted the entire speech by Jan Brewer and talked about the Governor's veto non-stop. I don't think anyone is confused with the outcome. Most of the headlines on it today are smaller because the balloon has popped.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 8:38 PM

Phoenix one of 8 cities in the running for the 2016 Republican Convention

http://www.azcentral.com/news/politi...onvention.html

While I don't agree with their platform, a convention of this size is a welcome and needed shot in the arm for our revamped convention center and new/revamped hotels. Unfortunately, this guy is our cheerleader.

Former U.S. Sen. Jon Kyl, R-Ariz., is chairing Phoenix’s effort to secure the GOP convention. Phoenix was a finalist for the party’s 2012 convention, but lost out to Tampa.

“I don’t know that we have a really great shot, but I think we’ve got a good shot,” Kyl told The Arizona Republic in January.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 9:09 PM

^ It'd be nice, not sure how the looniness in the State House will effect that though. It still is surprising to me we didn't get it in our Centennial Year when our State Senator had just been the prior cycle nominee.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
^ It'd be nice, not sure how the looniness in the State House will effect that though. It still is surprising to me we didn't get it in our Centennial Year when our State Senator had just been the prior cycle nominee.
I agree. Sometimes I just feel like maybe we don't have the right people fighting to secure these type of events like other major cities. I could be completely wrong though. haha Jon Kyl may make a couple of pitches, and then follow it up with comments like he made in the article. The attitude around here seems to be "if we secure a deal then great! If we don't oh well I won't exert any energy to making it happen." I see signs though that mentality is starting to change, hopefully.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2014, 6:01 PM

Quote:
I agree. Sometimes I just feel like maybe we don't have the right people fighting to secure these type of events like other major cities. I could be completely wrong though. haha Jon Kyl may make a couple of pitches, and then follow it up with comments like he made in the article. The attitude around here seems to be "if we secure a deal then great! If we don't oh well I won't exert any energy to making it happen." I see signs though that mentality is starting to change, hopefully.
I wish we had political leaders more akin to ASU football Coach Todd Graham withhis "speaking victory" mantra. Believe it, achieve it, all that good stuff. Too many people in this state seem resigned to being second rate.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2014, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
I wish we had political leaders more akin to ASU football Coach Todd Graham withhis "speaking victory" mantra. Believe it, achieve it, all that good stuff. Too many people in this state seem resigned to being second rate.

Completely agreed! Love them or hate them, we need more people like Colangelo, Gordon, Crowe, Graham. They may not have always had the best ideas...but they have always made things happen in the Phoenix and Tempe area.... imagine what the city wouldn't have if it weren't for those 4 guys alone fighting to make things happen.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2014, 7:12 PM
METRO: Encanto

The reality is that it will not come here, not due to inadequate lobbying on the state's behalf, although that won't help. Both parties want conventions in swing states these days, typically ones that the party isn't sure they can win, to give them an edge. The last two Republican conventions were in St. Paul, MN and Tampa. The last two Democratic conventions were in Denver and Charlotte. Arizona just isn't purple enough. Yet. There is also the perception that it is too damned hot here that time of the year. All the boosterism in the world can't change those things. The smart money is on one of the 3 Ohio cities.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 6:45 PM
METRO: Encanto

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
The reality is that it will not come here, not due to inadequate lobbying on the state's behalf, although that won't help. Both parties want conventions in swing states these days, typically ones that the party isn't sure they can win, to give them an edge. The last two Republican conventions were in St. Paul, MN and Tampa. The last two Democratic conventions were in Denver and Charlotte. Arizona just isn't purple enough. Yet. There is also the perception that it is too damned hot here that time of the year. All the boosterism in the world can't change those things. The smart money is on one of the 3 Ohio cities.
Not going to happen.

http://ktar.com/22/1719390/Report-Ph...GOP-convention

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 11:10 PM

You all need to be at the final ReInvent PHX event tonight if you haven't gone. The Mayor will be there, and there will be snacks, what else could you ask for?

6-8pm tonight at the PHX Financial Center South Rotunda on Central/Osborn. The city, design team, etc. need your input on how to make the best form based code possible for the northern sections of the LRT line.

I'll be there, come say hi

Old Posted Apr 9, 2017, 6:04 AM

So I am spending my first night away from downtown Phoenix in 11 years (not counting vacations) and I drove down to my old place to try to find my cat, the traffic is so bad. I'm glad to be gone. So quiet up here uptown.

Never did find that stupid cat!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest