Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 2:28 AM

NAU Honors College Community

New $58.8M, 205k s.f. dorm for honors students under construction:

http://news.nau.edu/honors-community/

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneui View Post

Timber Sky (W. Route 66 & S. Woody Mountain Rd.) - proposed Dark Skies-compliant, master-planned community with 1,300 homes (492 multi-family and 808 single-family) on 197 acres; will include community spaces and connection to Flagstaff Urban Trail System. Developer: Vintage Partners.
Status: annexation and zoning changes approved by city council in November.
http://azdailysun.com/news/local/gov...3c0fd7b98.html, http://vintagevp.com/project/timber-sky, http://timberskyhomes.com/

(courtesy: Vintage Partners)
I've just read that Vintage Partners wants to increase a mixed-use building height up to 95' at Timber Sky. I'd be interested to see how they plan to incorporate that size building into the surrounding development. I'd think neighbors at Timber Sky wouldn't want something that big. I for one, like the idea of building up, not out, but some areas (downtown) are better suited for that than others.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 12:56 AM

2017 Review/2018 Outlook for Flagstaff

As projected, student housing and hotels dominated the Flagstaff development scene this past year. Over 1,440 new beds in two projects were readied for NAU students this fall: Fremont Station (815 beds) and the on-campus SkyView project (626 beds). New hotel openings included a Fairfield Inn (99 keys) and Hampton Inn (103 keys) near Continental Country Club, as well as a Residence Inn (110 keys), the first new downtown hotel of more than two stories since the Monte Vista opened in 1927.

2018 will see even more student housing come online by August, including the controversial Hub (591 beds) and the on-campus Honors College (636 beds). And the student housing pipeline continues, with The Standard (763 beds) now under construction and scheduled for completion in 2019, and possibly a groundbreaking this year for the massive Mill Town project on the current ADOT site, with 340 units/1,221 beds for students, retail and commercial space, and a parking garage. NAU will also see the completion of the Fieldhouse Ice Rink early this year, as well as a new $15M Recital Hall in October, adjacent to Ardrey Auditorium.

Here's an interesting read on Flagstaff's challenges to accommodate the ongoing growth at NAU, while struggling to maintain sufficient affordable housing in the face of spiraling real estate prices:

https://azcir.org/news/2017/07/02/fl...g-traffic-hub/

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 6:30 PM

192 unit for Cottonwood

Figured I would give this one some love,

Not really flagstaff but like much of the state the Verde Valley is having large growth.

http://azbex.com/192-affordable-mult...in-cottonwood/

Quote:
Inspiration at Cottonwood will be a new, two- and three-story garden style apartment community designed to provide workforce housing to fill a growing need for families currently living in, or moving to, the Verde Valley. Developer Inspiration Holding Company, LLC hopes to break ground this summer

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 3:37 AM

Final update: Flagstaff development list

As with my Tucson project list, this latest update will also be my last one for Flagstaff--after nearly 10 years!

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 4:00 AM
E pluribus unum

There's just not much happening here aside from construction for student housing. I'm wondering if the market is starting to cool down?

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneui View Post
As with my Tucson project list, this latest update will also be my last one for Flagstaff--after nearly 10 years!
I'm curious how you tracked development in two separated cities so well?

Just watching the news? Attended Planning board meetings? Or did you have websites you looked at often?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 3:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollymath View Post
I'm curious how you tracked development in two separated cities so well?

Just watching the news? Attended Planning board meetings? Or did you have websites you looked at often?
Having lived in both cities was a plus, and there are plenty of online resources available if one is willing to do the research.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2021, 6:20 PM

Old thread but this is a Verde Valley development;

Anyone have insight on the feasibility here? the whole Verde valley is seeing growth and money due to wine and tourism http://www.redrocknews.com/2021/09/2...d-lacks-water/

Quote:
Utah-based Chromatic Resorts wants to create a resort-based development with extensive waterways on 741 acres in Cottonwood.

In his presentation to the Cottonwood Planning and Zoning Commission and City Council, Chromatic Resorts’ Bruce Barrett explained the site is an Arizona State Trust Land parcel near Camino Real off SR 260. He explained the intent is to work with the Arizona State Land Department to divide the land and auction portions to eventually build a resort village with water recreation areas, residences and a range of amenities.

The vision for the $2B, 10-to-20-year plan features a total of approximately 3,700 residential units, with one-third as a resort, one-third as primary residences mixed between houses, condominiums and townhomes, and one third as short-term rentals or vacation homes. The plan also includes an affordable/workforce housing component targeting residents with household incomes of between $60K and $170K.

Amenities include an extensive series of waterways, publicly accessible water features with a surf park, parks and trails, retail space, and restaurant and entertainment outlets.

The proposal also calls for a community shuttle program covering transportation to area communities and to Phoenix and Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport with the ultimate goal of eliminating the need for outside vehicles completely.

The driving vision, according to the presentation, is to drive tourism, recreation and amenities in the Verde Valley area while providing housing and tax revenue.

The issue of water use raised concerns for some of the members. Barrett said the planned features are not intended as a net consumer of water and there is a possibility of buying water rights from Friends of Verde River, collecting rainwater or using reclaimed water.

Members supporting the plan noted any land use will have a water component, and the proposal could ultimately have lower water use impacts than neighborhood developments or other uses.

Barrett explained that because the plan is so water focused, Chromatic Resorts would not be interested in pursuing the development without that component.

Members of both the Council and the Commission expressed their support that Barrett continues to pursue the project through what will certainly be an extensive review and approval process.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2021, 7:56 PM
Skyriser

It's denser than many suburbs without the water component, plus they have a mix of commercial uses they're proposing.

You're going to have people opposed to the development for its intensity/traffic/etc, the typical nimby stuff but completely fair for a semi-rural small town. Then they're going to have another contingent of conservationists like myself that are skeptical of its water use impact.

Even if it were approved, which just seems unlikely, it'd have to get financed, and I just don't see anyone tossing $2 billion in Cottonwood.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2021, 8:01 PM
Skyriser

Oh, and the developer has no experience. Chromatic Resorts should exist beyond somebody who doesn't seem notable on their own saying they're a "principal" there on their LinkedIn page.

The city should do their own due diligence before they talk to people like this.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2021, 3:57 PM

Great News, Verde Valley is officially recognized as a Viticulture area!

https://www.azcentral.com/story/ente...on/6375325001/

Quote:
Arizona has three major wine-growing regions, but until Nov. 10, only two of them were recognized by the federal government as official wine-growing areas.

On Wednesday, Nov. 10, more than four years after local winemakers first submitted a petition, the Federal Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau designated a roughly 200-square mile area in Yavapai County as the Verde Valley Viticultural Area.

This means that the Verde Valley has officially joined Wilcox and Sonoita as a recognized American Viticultural Area.

Culinary travel guide:Arizona's Verde Valley is a hub for experimental food and drink

"I am ecstatic with this TTB announcement,” said Tom Schumacher, president of the Verde Valley Wine Consortium in a news release. “The Verde Valley AVA petition was submitted to the TTB by the Verde Valley Wine Consortium in 2017. This shows that our arduous efforts to submit the petition have been fruitful.”

Old Posted Nov 13, 2021, 5:53 PM
E pluribus unum

There's a handful of small projects in Flagstaff, but nothing on the scale of what's potentially happening in Prescott or the Verde Valley. I've been a Flagstaffian for over 12 years, and have yet to see a project or development that won't be torn apart or deep sixed by our ridiculous city council.

I don't care either way, but maybe this thread would be more productive if it were renamed the "Northern Arizona Development Thread"?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2021, 7:38 AM
Skyriser

I widened the scope a bit, thanks for the suggestion.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2021, 2:13 AM
E pluribus unum

Cool, thank you!

Old Posted Nov 15, 2021, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
There's a handful of small projects in Flagstaff, but nothing on the scale of what's potentially happening in Prescott or the Verde Valley. I've been a Flagstaffian for over 12 years, and have yet to see a project or development that won't be torn apart or deep sixed by our ridiculous city council.

I don't care either way, but maybe this thread would be more productive if it were renamed the "Northern Arizona Development Thread"?
One thing to watch will be NAH's new 300 bed replacement hospital and health village, as well as the subsequent reuse of the existing hospital and development of the the land around it.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2021, 5:52 PM
E pluribus unum

I'm hoping that happens sometime soon. I don't think NAH's location is in Flagstaff city limits and am not sure how much more (or less?) difficult it is getting projects of that magnitude started in Coconino County as opposed to the City of Flagstaff?

As it stands, getting to the hospital at its current location from any direction (except maybe by air?) can be insanely perilous. I'd expect NAH keeps the land/buildings as standalone medical offices? Or hell, if NAU wants to start a med school...

Old Posted Nov 16, 2021, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
I'm hoping that happens sometime soon. I don't think NAH's location is in Flagstaff city limits and am not sure how much more (or less?) difficult it is getting projects of that magnitude started in Coconino County as opposed to the City of Flagstaff?

As it stands, getting to the hospital at its current location from any direction (except maybe by air?) can be insanely perilous. I'd expect NAH keeps the land/buildings as standalone medical offices? Or hell, if NAU wants to start a med school...
The parcels are within the City of Flagstaff. It will be substantially more accessible for the entire region by all modes. Likely the biggest project the Flagstaff area has seen in a long time, if not ever.

I have some sources on potential future use of the existing hospital, can't relay too much atm but a plan for redevelopment is in the works. I don't believe it is likely that NAH keeps the existing complex. Something to watch.

https://www.flagstaff.az.gov/10/Community-Development
https://www.nahealth.com/expansion

Old Posted Nov 16, 2021, 11:15 PM
E pluribus unum

My gf works at the hospital and we rent down by the airport so we're keeping an eye on what/where NAH wants to start building. I could've sworn it was near Fort Tuthill, which for whatever reason I thought was county land?

If we ever buy a place, I think we'd like to remain somewhat close to the hospital (I work a hybrid wfh so I'm more flexible on my location).

Old Posted Nov 17, 2021, 5:08 PM

Everything north of Fort Tuthill is city of Flagstaff. The land has been purchased and there is a rough site plan at the bottom of the NAH expansion site.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest