HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Feb 24, 2011, 10:58 PM

We have 2 first rounders this year. We are notorious for giving away draft picks. At least we are keeping the higher of the two this year.

Brooks may eventually get to the levels he was at last year, but I don't think Dragic's ceiling is that high.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2011, 12:09 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
^If you look closely at his stats the level he was at last year wasn't very impressive. Sure he scored 19 points but he was chucking up a load of bricks to get there, he's a very poor shooter and a poor defender.

Id be fine w/ just Dragic for Brooks I guess but I hate losing the pick.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2011, 8:29 AM
BANNED

I thought for a minute that Dragic could learn from Nash and within a few years of patience by the Suns, he'd develop into "the man".

Guess the Suns thought otherwise.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2011, 4:29 PM

The DALLAS MAVERICKS (2011 NBA CHAMPS)

KEEP THEIR CORE (Dirk & Jason Terry) but add SHAWN MARION & a few others and now SHAWN MARION has a ring.

The SUNS organization (not speaking of nash and the other players) do the exact opposite (kill the core and not get any closer to a ring),

So congrats to Shawn

Old Posted Jun 14, 2011, 5:27 PM

Yeah I feel like the Suns have put themselves in a weird spot. They weren't willing to spend big bucks to keep players like Joe Johnson or Marion (I agree with not paying Amare though). However, they also aren't willing to scrap the team and rebuild because they'll lose money. It's almost like they're content with being average, if that means staying in the black. Suns fans have been spoiled with a lot of success (not titles) so we're a hard group to please. If it doesn't look like we can rebuild through free agency in the next couple of seasons, they should seriously consider rebuilding through the draft. It'll be shitty for a while, but teams often have to tear it down in order to build it back up.

I guess I'm happy for the Mavs, but just feel Suns fans deserve it more...that's just my bitter opinion :-)

Old Posted Jun 15, 2011, 2:42 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmAZCO View Post
I guess I'm happy for the Mavs, but just feel Suns fans deserve it more...that's just my bitter opinion :-)
So happy the Mavs knocked out Lebron James. That was a great series.

That guy is clueless, as indicated by his comments in the post game press conference interview.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2011, 1:40 AM

Everyone talks about the Suns success, and, granted, they are the 4th winningest NBA team in history percentage wise. But they also don't have a title. I'm pretty sure the majority of the top ten teams in history have titles. They are failure in this regard and they have been moving in the wrong direction more often than not the last 10 years since Sarver took over. No, you can't deny some good seasons but this team/organization hasn't learned a thing through all these cycles: stop messing with good things and don't build around age. I could honestly care less about the league at this point as pro sports has moved into ludicrous territory with greed, lack of loyalty on both sides, etc. It's out of control. The peak of the Suns history was 1993 when they really were the best team in the league. It's just too bad Jordan was still Jordan and basically unstoppable. My prediction: it's gonna be at least another 5 years before this program recovers from the latest implosion. Hope not but I don't have any faith in Sarver -- total idiot -- and this team is aging quickly. Oh, and no one wants to play in Phoenix these days it seems...it doesn't have the luster it once did.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 5:08 PM

This really sucks!

Not only do the lakers get Nash, but now they get
DWIGHT HOWARD, and keep Pau gasol (near future twin towers). Just what we dont need: another laker dynasty.

At this point my interest in the NBA is starting to wane a bit. Because the teams that dont need more TALENT or more titles (like the lakers or maybe to some degree boston) are getting it. The teams that have never won a title dont seem to get any help.
In the phoenix suns case however, IT DOESN'T HELP TO HAVE CHEAP ASS SARVER.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 6:17 PM
Ascension

There are teams in the NBA that have never been good or haven't been good in a very long time that seemingly overnight got better. Look at the Clippers.

Btw is it true that there are more Laker fans in Phoenix than Suns fans?

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeHundred View Post
There are teams in the NBA that have never been good or haven't been good in a very long time that seemingly overnight got better. Look at the Clippers.

No, but we do get a few Laker fans at the games. You people tend to move here for some reason. Many of those fans tend to get kicked out of games like Dodger fans too. I would say there are more fans of Midwestern teams in Phoenix since the "great migration" of the 2000's...but there will always be more Suns fans here than any other team.

I dont' think Nash will be getting a ring in L.A. He was my favorite player, and always will be in the context of being a Sun but at present, now that he is in L.A. he's the enemy. The Suns won't be able to compete this year in the West but an aging Lakers team still won't get passed Oklahoma. That is the new team to beat in the West.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 7:08 PM

Quote:

Not even close to being true. There are definitely the fair share of S. Calif transplants that live here and are vocal supporters of the Lakers, not to mention the bandwagoners that like them due to their star power, but the Suns are one of the most successful franchises in NBA history (championship notwithstanding) and are the most popular team in the Phoenix area.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 4:03 AM

Quote:

WTF? I've never even heard this as a bizarre urban legend, I wonder how it got started. Thats like asking "are there more Bloods/Crips/MS13 in LA than non gang members?" Very strange.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 4:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmAZCO View Post
I'm just saying that Sarver hasn't exactly destroyed this team.
Yeah right considering the guys he's put in the front office. Poor draft day selections since 2003 highlighted by with giving away Deng and Rondo. Trading away Dragic only to end up letting Aaron Brooks walk and resigning Goran. Giving Channing Frye a 5-year $30 million extension and now signing the troubled Michael Beasley to a 3-year $18 million deal.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 7:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaBass View Post
Yeah right considering the guys he's put in the front office. Poor draft day selections since 2003 highlighted by with giving away Deng and Rondo. Trading away Dragic only to end up letting Aaron Brooks walk and resigning Goran. Giving Channing Frye a 5-year $30 million extension and now signing the troubled Michael Beasley to a 3-year $18 million deal.
Sarver has made some bad decisions in his time as the owner but I wouldn't say he has ruined the team. Who's to say Deng and Rondo would have been the same players they are now if they came to Phoenix, especially the way D'antoni didn't like to play his bench back then. The Dragic trade made no sense, but at the time he was inconsistent back then and they were looking for a scoring punch off the bench. I'm no Aaron Brooks fan and was happy they let him walk for nothing. If Channing Frye can be consistent he'll be worth the money they paid him, regardless that was his last big pay day in the league in my opinion.

As far as the moves of this off season, they made some good moves and got a bargin for most of the players they signed. They got a steal with the Michael Beasley deal. He's a product of the AAU generation and came into the league very immature, but the talent is there for him to be a top 15 player in the league. Beasley, Wes Johnson, Scola and Dragic will have a break out year this season with the Suns. Everyone looks at the Suns and tend to focus on what we lost in Grant and Steve, but Grant will soon be 40 and there's no way I would have brought Steve back, especially not for 3 more seasons. I've been a Suns season ticket holder for the past 8 years and last season Steve did not do as well as some make it out to be, there were many home and away games I attended where Brown, Telfair and the bench guys had built leads only to have Steve and the starters come in and blow the game. This years team is stacked and will surprise a lot of people including Phoenix bandwagon fans. They will have a solid Starting 5 with just a just as solid bench.

Dragic/Telfair/Marshall
Brown/Johnson
Beasley/Dudley/Tucker
Scola/Morris
Gortat/O'Neal/Frye
(recovering from shoulder surgery)

Old Posted Jan 23, 2013, 1:12 AM
BANNED

they've lost 3500 season ticket holders since last season, and will probably lose many more after this season, a local legend walked out on the team this year, another coach said eff you, and they hired someone with no coaching experience to run the team for this season.

The direction this franchise is moving is so bad... the last thing they should be concerned with is a luxury parking lot.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2013, 1:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicelord John View Post
they've lost 3500 season ticket holders since last season, and will probably lose many more after this season, a local legend walked out on the team this year, another coach said eff you, and they hired someone with no coaching experience to run the team for this season.

The direction this franchise is moving is so bad... the last thing they should be concerned with is a luxury parking lot.
That's just it though. This sums up Sarver's priorities. He doesn't care nearly as much about winning championships as he does making money/increasing revenue. There will be enough corporate accounts and individual fans to probably sell out the lot every season. Whether the spots actually get used is a different story. Hell, make it a condition of courtside seats or first 3 rows or something and you've already increased your profit.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2013, 1:24 AM
BANNED

well, given that season ticket sales are plummeting, single game tickets aren't being sold because they are so cheap from scalpers, and the tv revenue next year is going to be non-existent, eh better figure something out.

btw, if you cant sell a ticket, nobody needs to park there.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:

Exactly, I have not renewed by season tickets and will not be doing so until Sarver starts making better decisions and the team improves. I can't believe Dan Majerle resigned and was not even considered for the coaching job! When I want to go to a game now I just buy a relatively cheap ticket for a great seat from a scalper.

I can't believe Sarver, an Arizona grad and basketball fan, would run this team into the ground.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2013, 3:36 PM

Quote:

and don't forget, their new Coach (who has no experience) is being investigated by the FBI for mortgage fraud!

Old Posted Jan 23, 2013, 3:56 PM
BANNED

Also, Sarvee has implemented some new rules in will call box office that will seriously stifle scalpers who do not already have ticket in hand.

Sneaky bastard.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest