HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 5:31 PM

Colliers/Golub Preconstruction Thread: Four New Towers in Downtown Phoenix!

My company has now seen proposals from both gollub and colliers for the two new proposed buildings. The colliers building is definitely going to be built, they already have enough tenants to build. The gollub building is still trying to get the green light.

The colliers building is nothing special. The first eight floors will be above ground parking and the building will be one of two building built on that site. the buildings will be staggered like renaissance so they both have views to the south. The second building will be built when it is economically feasible. The first building will be 30 stories. They alluded to the fact that the second pad at the current colliers building will be developed into a hotel in the "near future". Completion date of the new tower is January of 2015.

The gollub building is much more interesting and has a nice crown, outdoor balconies, and a small park with grass on the eight floor over the above ground parking. Gollub says it will be a downtown "icon". I like the deisgn, but the location will be a tough sell (200 west monroe). Gollub says that location will get better and better, and they mentioned that there will be an upcoming announcement about Hotel Monroe that will really help that area of downtown. I hope they are right, Hotel Monroe is a great building that needs some serious TLC.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 5:48 PM

Great info renone! Disappointing about the above level parking for the Colliers tower but on the bright side, they will make it taller than if it was sublevel parking...and I'm sure they will do ground floor retail. I mean 1CPE is really the same setup and I don't think anyone really minds the parking levels there.

30 stories should get us to about the same height as the Cityscape tower (which is 28 stories but no parking which means all the floors are a little taller).

So basically we have 4 towers in the pipeline? The "definite" Colliers tower, the Gollub tower, the future Colliers tower and the future Colliers hotel. Not bad.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 5:53 PM

Well sh!t! Convince your company to go to the gollub building if the other colliers will 'definitely' get built anyway. That part of downtown is/will be awesome. Closer to hotel Monroe, civic space park, and of course the crescent ballroom, Seamus, ghost bar, z pizza, city hall, orpheum, etc.

Great news though. (although I'll believe it when I see it wrt colliers.)

How many stories was the Gollub building? I'm sure it will look better and it already sounds cool. You had me at crown. Also, the Gollub building is in a much higher visibility location. Hundreds of thousands of cars that head east on I-10 from the stack towards downtown (probably the best view of the city) will see the Gollub building up front and center. The CityScape towers are pretty much hidden in the middle of downtown.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 6:02 PM
BANNED

Renone: Thanks for the excellent info. Top quality, large contigious space downtown is hard to come by, so it makes sense that there are several buildings proposed. Are there renderings available?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 6:06 PM
BANNED

I thought vacancy rates were kind of high??

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicelord John View Post
I think Class A in downtown is actually not that high.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 7:04 PM
Skyriser

Four New Towers in Downtown Phoenix!

CityScape wasn't the place for this great news--it definitely deserves its own thread. Might be a good spot to post renderings, and other information until they actually start construction.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 8:41 PM

Any news for the Urban Target on the block inbetween Cityscape and Collier Center?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 10:10 PM
BANNED

yeah, pipe dream (still.)

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 12:52 AM

Yea if their focus is to office towers, I don't see the Target happening. If it was residential or hotel, then maybe.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 12:59 AM

Exciting news! Can't wait to see renderings! ( been busy rehearsing with the Phoenix Symphony for Rogers & Hammerstain shows this weekend, so not much time for posting. Glad I took a little break. Great news!!!!!

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 1:23 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by renone View Post
The first eight floors will be above ground parking.
Well this is a worrisome sentence, but Im sure there will be ground floor retail. The Urban Code form has been adopted now and you can't just have the bottom of the building be a garage. The question is will it all be a giant lobby, or have actual retail?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 2:12 AM

I'm guessing something like 1CPE.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 3:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Great info renone! Disappointing about the above level parking for the Colliers tower but on the bright side, they will make it taller than if it was sublevel parking...and I'm sure they will do ground floor retail. I mean 1CPE is really the same setup and I don't think anyone really minds the parking levels there.
I like the above ground parking like in 1CPE and 44 Monroe. It adds an architectural element in that it's different from the rest of the building, and it makes the building taller. Most importantly though, it's not a separate parking garage taking up valuable land and detracting from the urban setting.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 3:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicelord John View Post
The vacancy rate for Class A office space downtown is very low. Class B office space is a different story, however. For example, One11 West Monroe is about 50% empty.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 4:20 AM

Interesting news...would be nice if they didn't value engineer these buildings to death as was the case with most of CityScape. More parking is stupid but in Phoenix there still isn't the density to do without in a new development.

The 101 building isn't very charming but it does a good job hiding the above ground parking over retail/lobby...I don't want to see cars parked 8 stories high like in 1CPE.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 7:21 PM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
The vacancy rate for Class A office space downtown is very low. Class B office space is a different story, however. For example, One11 West Monroe is about 50% empty.
Where do you get your figures from?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 7:44 PM
Skyriser

I've been kind of playing with some numbers stemming from the Golub tower's parking, so renone, feel free to chime in about any other details of the tower you saw or might know such as floorplates and what not especially relative to the size of the lot.

If the parking garage takes up the whole lot, 6 floors of parking (on top of one floor of retail) is a gross 540,000 square feet. That's a LOT of parking ... could easily support a high-rise of well over a million square feet--something the size of Renaissance Square.

If we use 1.2 million gross square feet of office, that's 30 floors of office in a *very* large 200x200' floorplate. That would mean a 480' tower minus the crown--at a minimum 505' with the crown.

The height limit for the lot is 543'.

Of course, if the tower only takes half the lot, for instance, the project becomes fairly run of the mill--a 1CPE for all intents and purposes.

But the idea of a "downtown icon" is exciting to say the least and leads to many possibilities.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 8:05 PM
BANNED

I feel as though we are counting our chickens before they hatch.

that said, I would hate to see another block with one building on it. As long as land prices are low and demand is low, we'll never see 4-5 buildings per block, which is what will really create denisity in a city.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 8:44 PM

Land prices aren't really that low, compared to the low demand. It seems like there are still way too many speculators holding and artifically inflating the $ of empty lots in Phoenix.

I think there are other zoning rules which would prohibit multiple towers on one block (air rights or density rules or something (?)). I'm not completely in the know with zoning laws, but I don't think we'll ever see 4 new towers on one block downtown under current zoning.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest