HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 4:57 PM

I am not related to the project in any way shape or form. Im not a defender nor detractor - if you read my City-Data post you will see at times I ve expressed my doubts that this will come to fruition.

I am however, a SUPPORTER of the project as the influx of capital and jobs even if only the first phase in completed is welcome.

I try to be realistic with a positive spin on most development - and yes - contrary to some here I DO believe the development of the "SUN CORRIDOR" along with an I-11 (or similar) highway would be a great thing although I wont be around to see most of it come to light of day.

Im just a resident - but try to be informed and realistic.....

Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh9730 View Post
Arq -
And although it is pretty clearly a stretch to think that at least at some level the project name isnt tied to the city of it's name - the story being put out by the developers is that THIS "Phoenix" is more a reflection of the rising from the ashes Phoenix, and its significance in the Chinese culture, not the city nearby - again, even if true, Im sure it was a nice tie in that there was a fairly large city of the same name nearby.
Forgive my overall ignorance of the project... but is the "mart" part some how some kind of bad Chinese translation then? (again, I don't know anything about this project really, but I keep reading about the Chinese involvement).

The name conjures up in my head a corner liquor store on south Central Avenue or something... not some immense new port/city development in the middle of Casa Grande.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 7:17 PM

Phx31

Cant help you with that one - no idea how the name was derived. I mean it is a "mart" and maybe they are sticking with the trend of DragonMart (Dubia) etc....

Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 8:59 PM
Skyriser

AFAICT, the Mart derives from similarly named facilities that are exhibition spaces for wholesalers. The Chicago Merchandise Mart is the canonical example.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2013, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxSUNSfan View Post
Dubia and Casa Grande...yes, they are so similar.
Yes, they are. 10 years ago I lived in the middle east. Dubai was an empty desert.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2013, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxSUNSfan View Post
Dubia and Casa Grande...yes, they are so similar.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2013, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arquitect View Post
Dubai is also a very very very very very wealthy Emirate (yes that is 5 verys). They are being very progressive and forward thinking, knowing that the wealth coming in from petroleum will not be permanent, and that their economy has to greatly diversify in order to maintain themselves as a thriving city and a significant player in the world market.

Dubai was already a there. It is an important port off the Straight of Hormuz, and has been an important trading post for ages. Not as important as it is now, but it always was a significant city-state in the Arabian peninsula. Now they have built a world class airport to assure themselves to become a major hub in transcontinental flights. They have built incredible infrastructure in order to become one of the next great economic world trade markets, and they have also invested greatly in bringing the top architects in the world to design museums, libraries, buildings, and everything also you can imagine to assure that once oil is gone, Dubai remains as a top tourist destination.

So no, Casa Grande is not Dubai. It doesn't have the money, it doesn't have the long term planning (one large project is not an overall long term shift), it doesn't have the leadership.This is just one project, and even if it does get built, it will not catapult Casa Grande to the world stage. Heck, probably not even to the American stage. The project's name is PhoenixMart, it is not trying to lift Casa Grande out of the dust, it is tying itself to a city that is an hour drive away.
You're right ... and you're proving my point. I'm not saying CG will be Dubai. My point is that you build something to attract people. You don't leave desert desert if you want to create a city.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2013, 1:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevininPhx View Post
Yes, they are. 10 years ago I lived in the middle east. Dubai was an empty desert.
You are too funny...Dubai is an Emirate that had billionaire oil heirs and billionaire sheiks. The UAE is among the richest countries in the world and is a playground for the rich...they also have beaches. If you lived in the Middle East 10 years ago you would have known that Dubai was in the middle of multi-billion dollar investments and had a population of over 1 million. Casa Grande didn't even have 50,000 people in the 2010 Census.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2013, 5:00 PM

Just another little article on the project which includes a couple of quotes from the Mayor of CG and the new CEO of Phoenixmart.

Not a lot of new information really - but it does show that there is renewed activity with the project now.

http://roselawgroupreporter.com/2013.../#!prettyPhoto

Old Posted Jun 14, 2013, 10:18 PM

I don't see this as a bad thing or impossible. If cities like Gilbert can go from hay towns to what they are now I don't see why the same can't apply to Casa Grande. I could easily imagine residents from Maricopa or other southeast valley burbs driving to CG if an employment base like this could be established.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2013, 8:03 AM

So, saw an article in the AZ Republic that BEN QUAYLE has been advising on this project after his ouster from congress......not sure that is such a good thing??!! LOL....

Old Posted Jun 24, 2013, 9:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh9730 View Post
So, saw an article in the AZ Republic that BEN QUAYLE has been advising on this project after his ouster from congress......not sure that is such a good thing??!! LOL....
It's not what you know, it's who you know. Young douchebags are always propped up by older douchebags. Otherwise, nature would make them die off.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2013, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtnphx View Post
It's not what you know, it's who you know. Young douchebags are always propped up by older douchebags. Otherwise, nature would make them die off.
What makes him a douchebag, that he's republican? He's an educated guy with probably as much ability to pull off a development as anyone else. Sorry, just curious that anyone would have such strong feelings about the guy.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2013, 10:20 PM

Writing for the dirty was a bit douchey. Lying about it even more so.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/44/...iting-for.html

High-fiving a colleague when you defeated a bill to raise combat pay for military may not be douchey, but it was certainly not the kind of thing you want to see out of a Congressman.

Although it may not make him a douchebag, anyone who scores nearly 100% on the Club for Growth scorecard is suspect.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2013, 10:42 PM

Quote:
What makes him a douchebag, that he's republican? He's an educated guy with probably as much ability to pull off a development as anyone else. Sorry, just curious that anyone would have such strong feelings about the guy.
Met him once, and regardless of party affiliation, he is a douche. Quite arrogant as I recall, and gave off a I'm "better than thou" atmosphere. You need confidence and drive to succeed in politics, as well as to get big projects such as this one done, but he lacks the charisma to make him seem like a good person.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2013, 1:35 AM

Running as family values guy and then using stand-ins as family members for his advertisements was a bit douchey.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2013, 1:19 AM
BANNED

Quote:
There you have it Kevin (see above). Need more?

Old Posted Aug 7, 2013, 1:18 AM

Just received the email below today. I'd never seen or heard anything about PhoenixMart anywhere before (aside from this forum).

PhoenixMart is a first-class venue for manufacturers and distributors to showcase their products to the world by providing a gateway for promoting American business to domestic and international markets.

PhoenixMart is currently seeking Sales Consultants (Leasing) in Casa Grande, Phoenix.

Responsible for leasing suites at PhoenixMart located in Casa Grande, AZ. The office is located in Scottsdale, AZ.

If you have Sales or Real Estate Experience – We want you to consider PhoenixMart’s opportunity!

What We Offer

· Base Salary plus Commission opportunity ($36,000 Base)

· Growth Potential

· Job Stability

CLICK BELOW TO APPLY TODAY!!

Old Posted Aug 7, 2013, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichTempe View Post
Just received the email below today. I'd never seen or heard anything about PhoenixMart anywhere before (aside from this forum).

PhoenixMart is a first-class venue for manufacturers and distributors to showcase their products to the world by providing a gateway for promoting American business to domestic and international markets.

PhoenixMart is currently seeking Sales Consultants (Leasing) in Casa Grande, Phoenix.

Responsible for leasing suites at PhoenixMart located in Casa Grande, AZ. The office is located in Scottsdale, AZ.

If you have Sales or Real Estate Experience – We want you to consider PhoenixMart’s opportunity!

What We Offer

· Base Salary plus Commission opportunity ($36,000 Base)

· Growth Potential

· Job Stability

CLICK BELOW TO APPLY TODAY!!
Even their "recruitment" seems like a shady scheme!

Old Posted Aug 7, 2013, 3:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arquitect View Post
Even their "recruitment" seems like a shady scheme!
My thoughts exactly.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest