HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 9:44 PM

Phoenix | Central Station Towers 1 & 2 | 372 FT | 32 Floors & 230 FT | 22 Floors

Central Station renderings: Construction currently in progress.

Link to Downtown ASU Cam (will update this link if a full construction cam is provided): https://view.asu.edu/downtown

Last edited by CrestedSaguaro; Aug 3, 2022 at 10:50 PM.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymratmanaz View Post
Hopeful thinking, but I thought I would add this one for if and hopefully when this starts to come to fruition.
I agree. This is a game changer, as USAplace and Marina Heights are to Tempe.

They mention over 600 residents, but in reality, they are proposing over 500 units, so there would likely be more like 800 new residents or more downtown. This increases demand for everything.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 10:16 PM

Central Station could really be a tipping point and catalyst for a lot of other additions like a grocery store, other retail, and then more residential living.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 12:27 AM

Does this really need its own thread yet?

Don't get me wrong, I have full (or fool) trust in Smithfield (the developer and contractor). They have been a top notch company since they arrived in the valley. They recently completed Domus in Arcadia, and are currently building another midrise west of the 51 north of Camelback. They have also done projects of similar scale to this one back in Chicago, where they are from. So I don't think there is any trepidation about this being a legit proposal. (here is their website for whomever wants to see what they have done: http://www.smith-field.com/)

However we know how big projects like these can go. Can we wait until it at least gets through the city before we start subdividing it into its own group?

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 1:28 AM
Skyriser

There's been a couple newspieces on it lately, it seems to be going through cause of the GPLET and as you said the reputable developer, and we've created threads for much lesser projects. Moreover, it's good to start these early so for the retrospect we can see the articles that were posted about its early days up until it actually gets built, so I don't see any reason to lock this thread.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 1:59 AM

I'll bet by the time it finally gets built. Hopefuly around June 2021 will get a 15 story stump!

Old Posted Dec 27, 2014, 10:07 PM

Please pardon me for bumping the thread without any updated news. Does anyone know if Central Station is in the planning stages or permitting process? There hasn't been any news, that I know of, in several months.
Please forgive me for the thread bump - I basically just wanted to know if the project is still alive? Thank you!

Old Posted Dec 27, 2014, 10:25 PM

The project is still alive.

I wish there were additional renderings and more details on the site plan. The plans have changed significantly in terms of the commercial space, and I'm very interested in how the southern 3/4 of the block will look, as the tower only occupies the northern 1/4. According to the following link:

1) commercial space has been increased from 4,500 sq ft to 30,000 sq ft
2) commercial space will be located on the ground level of the parking structure
3) SmithGroup has the option of splitting the tower in two and phasing construction

https://www.phoenix.gov/publictransi...T%20110614.pdf

Timeline:
18 months to commence construction (from November 2014, if I am reading correctly)
30 months to complete construction

Last edited by Jjs5056; Dec 27, 2014 at 10:39 PM.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2014, 10:52 PM

Th increase in commercial space is significant and great news!!!!

Old Posted Dec 27, 2014, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Th increase in commercial space is significant and great news!!!!
Agreed. Originally, there was only 4500 for transit offices and 4500 for "incubator offices." If the 30,000 is a correct figure, it would be great to know if there is now a retail component and whether the offices are in a separate building from the garage? From the rendering, it looks like there is a taller, yellow and white building fronting 1st Ave and a shorter one fronting Van Buren. Could one be an office building and one the garage? It's just really confusing.

But, I hope the 30,000 isn't a mistake and that it does include retail. I know I'm high on retail but this is our transit center; if that can't support some fast food dining options, we're screwed. Plus, you have the hotel across Central, Civic Space right there, and 500 new apartments on top! Come on.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2014, 1:12 AM

I agree. Talk about a built in client base!!!!

Old Posted Dec 28, 2014, 1:14 AM

where is the most recent rendering, Jjs5056?

Old Posted Dec 28, 2014, 2:06 AM

Here is an article from AZCentral that also mentions 30,000 sq ft of commercial...

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...lest/17177161/

Old Posted Dec 28, 2014, 3:36 AM

Quote:
where is the most recent rendering, Jjs5056?
This was one of the earlier articles, when the commercial was still listed at 4500/4500: http://www.downtownphoenixjournal.co...-station-site/

It contains the only renderings and site plan I have seen thus far. The site plan makes it seem as though 3/4 of the block will be a garage, which would be really lame. But, 30k sq feet of commercial can't possibly be on the ground level only, so I am hoping it's wrapped on at least some of its sides by office space.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2015, 8:41 PM

Does anyone know if Central Station is active and moving along with all the required permits etc.? Is construction still scheduled to start this upcoming summer? There has been very limited information about the project so I was hoping someone with hopefully more information could please clarify and share it with us? Thank you very much!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2015, 9:15 PM

The listed start time is AUGUST of 2015. FINGERS CROSSED!!!!!!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2015, 9:31 PM

Quote:
The listed start time is AUGUST of 2015. FINGERS CROSSED!!!!!!
Well I hope so. Between Portland on the Park, Union, That other building by hance park (cant remember) and central station that's hundreds of new permanent downtown residents.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2015, 11:29 PM

Here's hoping the design is radically modified prior to August.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
Here's hoping the design is radically modified prior to August.
Well, it probably wont be...

Hey but at least its an Oval, we don't have any Oval buildings.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Well, it probably wont be...

Hey but at least its an Oval, we don't have any Oval buildings.
It's going to need a ton of variances as almost everything about it is against Urban Form.

I actually don't mind the design of the tower... if it were being built next to the YMCA, it'd be fantastic. But, in its current state - only frontage is on to a private driveway with blank walls facing Central and 1st Ave, its orientation will cast terrible shadows over the park and destroy the city views - it's really frustrating.

And, there's the fact that the tower takes up less than 1/4 of the entire lot, with the rest of the site being dedicated to a massive garage with a blank wall/ramp facing Van Buren in an area that should be a connection between EVB and WVB. On 75% of one of the best sites in downtown, we are getting a huge garage, with 1 office on the ground level facing 1st Ave and 1 incubator space facing Central.

This would've been an awesome location for the DeSoto market...opening onto 3 of the busiest downtown blocks, and connected to the park... sigh.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest