HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Nov 20, 2015, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwhiteinaz View Post
I have been following news of this development for the past 2 weeks on nextdoor.com which is a community 'forum' of some sorts that is heavily used in the Biltmore area.

This development is having some strong NIMBY outcry and the community directly south wants to organize against it. They are convinced it will hurt their property values and that its too high. This of course is BS since what is currently there should hurt the property values. Nobody wants to live near empty commercial developments. And as far as the height, there are 4 story buildings all along the Camelback Corridor from 22nd St to 44th Street.
Do nimbi's have a lot of pull in AZ? I would think that of all places property owners trump whiney neighbors most of the time (unless there is a prior agreement like an HOA)

on further observation the company in the rendering is called Initech

Old Posted Nov 20, 2015, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Hahaha I love it. Nice catch.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2015, 7:37 PM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwhiteinaz View Post
I have been following news of this development for the past 2 weeks on nextdoor.com which is a community 'forum' of some sorts that is heavily used in the Biltmore area.

This development is having some strong NIMBY outcry and the community directly south wants to organize against it. They are convinced it will hurt their property values and that its too high. This of course is BS since what is currently there should hurt the property values. Nobody wants to live near empty commercial developments. And as far as the height, there are 4 story buildings all along the Camelback Corridor from 22nd St to 44th Street.
Most of the 4 story buildings are 56' or less, which is a standard Phoenix height limit almost all over the city.

These guys are pushing up to 68', which isn't so common, and doesn't have much precedent on a collector street like 28th.

Secondly, a lot of these NIMBYs like their backyard mountain views. (it's really a NIMBY thing for some of them). Having a brightly lit 56 - 68' building hanging over a single family home would be typically considered a nuisance, altho the generous rear setback should be alleviating things for this particular structure.

I expect to see some massings soon that show what it looks like from some of the homes directly behind it.

Last edited by combusean; Nov 20, 2015 at 7:58 PM.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2015, 7:56 PM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Do nimbi's have a lot of pull in AZ? I would think that of all places property owners trump whiney neighbors most of the time (unless there is a prior agreement like an HOA)

Yes. Biltmore and Scottsdale especially. We'd have seen a lot more towers around the Biltmore if NIMBYs didn't fight a number of proposals in 2006.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2015, 6:06 AM
Skyriser

Update:

Center 8 Townhomes by Landmark Homes, Between 8th and 9th Ave south of Roosevelt: Under construction. 30 townhomes on 1.4 acres
http://www.landmarkhomesusa.com/community/center-8/

Old Posted Nov 22, 2015, 6:08 AM

24th st and highland corner?

it was an old run down appt complex and an old folks home for years. any idea on what it will be?

Old Posted Nov 22, 2015, 6:44 AM
Skyriser

There are two projects at that corner.

Biltmore Gateway, SWC 24th St and Highland: Buildings demolished. 480 apartments on 5 acres, 300 condominiums and a hotel on the remaining 3. 56'
http://www.brewaz.com/content/index_...ry%206,%202015
Replaces the 378-unit Biltmore Club apartments

District at Biltmore, S/SWC 24th St and Highland (4602 N 24th St): Lot acquired. 227 units on 4.4 acres, 4.5 stories
http://azbigmedia.com/featured/colli...-biltmore-area
Replaces the Arizona Grand Senior Living complex

Old Posted Nov 26, 2015, 10:50 AM
Skyriser

Sooo much stuff still coming down the line:

http://klcommercialgroup.com/wp-cont...nstruction.pdf

- 68th St and Mayo isn't infill enough for this list, but a 1,150 unit complex would be Phoenix's largest.

- 66 units on 1850 N 44th St

- 54 affordable units on 423 W Osborn (very dense project)

Park 28 is apparently finishing up on 28th and Indian School, and there's Aura at Indian School which we've sort of talked about but has lame surface parking.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2015, 11:19 AM
Skyriser

http://orbarch.com/index.php/mies_po...on-the-boards/

- 3 stories on 44th and Indianola

- Site plan for Arbor Court which is listed

- 180 units to 8th St and Camelback

Old Posted Nov 27, 2015, 10:39 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
http://orbarch.com/index.php/mies_po...on-the-boards/

- 3 stories on 44th and Indianola

- Site plan for Arbor Court which is listed

- 180 units to 8th St and Camelback
The 8th & Camelback parcel include an Earnhardt Lexus dealership going in at the corner.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2015, 11:13 PM
Skyriser

I'm not sure if Phoenix is actually getting "better" with the 19th St and Indian School project and the 8th St and Camelback project either. The buildings that were there before were low density multi-use stuff that wheezed their last breaths of character, these two projects are somewhat higher density (R-4), monolithic, single-use garbage. I noticed That's a Wrap! is gone, for example, which was popular when it opened.

The setback for the apartments on 19th St from Indian School is something like 76', and they had to get a variance to get it that low (lots predate the code, apparently) amongst, many, many others, and it was still opposed by people at the VPC, but passed 14-4.

https://sites.google.com/site/petersviewneighborhood/

Old Posted Nov 29, 2015, 12:59 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure if Phoenix is actually getting "better" with the 19th St and Indian School project and the 8th St and Camelback project either. The buildings that were there before were low density multi-use stuff that wheezed their last breaths of character, these two projects are somewhat higher density (R-4), monolithic, single-use garbage. I noticed That's a Wrap! is gone, for example, which was popular when it opened.

The setback for the apartments on 19th St from Indian School is something like 76', and they had to get a variance to get it that low (lots predate the code, apparently) amongst, many, many others, and it was still opposed by people at the VPC, but passed 14-4.

I don't think any of the projects proposed and built by the Alliance + ORB team are improvements - or, at least, a good fit for their locations. I worked on a marketing project for Alliance, and they couldn't stop talking about how their 'urban' apartments were doing so much better than others, so it's no surprise that they keep churning them out. But, calling them 'urban' is misleading (hell, most of their projects are gated) and it's sad to see them in areas along the Central Corridor, particularly Broadstone Arts District and 3rd/Roosevelt.

Their Tempe lakeside project is probably the best, likely due to the geographic/site limitations more than anything else, and even in that, they've proposed a "co-working space" for residents (aka a business center) to appease the DRC who wanted commercial space to complement the live/work theme that has developed along 1st Street.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2015, 11:29 PM

Quote:

To be fair, That's a Wrap! was gone like 1.5 to 2 years ago and it took them 8-10 minutes to make a wrap. Not exactly lunch crowd friendly if you get stuck in line for 10 minutes too.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the place, but I can understand how they went out of business.

I'm just worried about the Fry Bread House. Seems like they are doing less business in their bigger space.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2015, 1:05 AM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
I don't think any of the projects proposed and built by the Alliance + ORB team are improvements - or, at least, a good fit for their locations. I worked on a marketing project for Alliance, and they couldn't stop talking about how their 'urban' apartments were doing so much better than others, so it's no surprise that they keep churning them out. But, calling them 'urban' is misleading (hell, most of their projects are gated) and it's sad to see them in areas along the Central Corridor, particularly Broadstone Arts District and 3rd/Roosevelt.

Their Tempe lakeside project is probably the best, likely due to the geographic/site limitations more than anything else, and even in that, they've proposed a "co-working space" for residents (aka a business center) to appease the DRC who wanted commercial space to complement the live/work theme that has developed along 1st Street.
I think ORB's desire to take what appears to be any project seems to be poisoning their overall work product. But each of these have specific considerations:

The Camelback East Core Specific Plan dictated a lot of the awfulness of the 26th St project by mandating a "pedestrian spine" that runs in theory from this to the Colonnade through the middle of each development rather than activate street frontages. The 2006 update didn't re-approach these broken 1980s non-urbanism design standards.

Aura on Indian School is garbage with its 76' setback on Indian School, but they had to get a dozen variances to build that and he no doubt had to juggle neighbors and parking standards.

The 8th St and Camelback project, as it turns out, is somehow very dense. I'm guessing it's a pile of one bedrooms and studios.

His project on 16th and Colter is perfect--limited front setbacks, the only side setbacks are for fire code.

Last edited by combusean; Nov 30, 2015 at 5:49 AM.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2015, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post
I'm just worried about the Fry Bread House. Seems like they are doing less business in their bigger space.
They are relocating back to the Melrose district, I just saw a sign for the new restaurant up at a former office space that's been under renovation all year. The SE corner of 7th Ave & Hazelwood, just north of the canal.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2015, 8:04 PM

Demolition has begun on the NWC of 3rd St and Thomas Rd.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2015, 10:20 PM
BANNED

oops.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2015, 4:57 AM
BANNED

And speaking of that corner [Central and McDowell]. A new rendering.
http://www.azcentral.com/story/money...rner/76575304/

Last edited by combusean; Dec 1, 2015 at 8:41 PM. Reason: clarification

Old Posted Dec 1, 2015, 5:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtnphx View Post
And speaking of that corner. A new rendering.
http://www.azcentral.com/story/money...rner/76575304/

Luckily, doesn't look to be more than 4-5 stories.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2015, 3:02 PM

What direction is that rendering looking towards? I always assumed it was from the center of central and McDowell looking NW, but the lanes don't match and there isn't a traffic signal (not to mention it would be uninviting to hang out right next to the roads like that). Maybe the architect just took some liberties to make it look better.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest