HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Mar 28, 2016, 11:04 PM
Modulator

the Stewart (Circle on Central)

Circles is apparently much further along than we have thought. The glass on the corner is now covered on the inside with tarp. There were several guys with green vest in the parking lot (looked to be doing work on the roof). I spoke with one and he stated that half of the building is slated to be demo'd and the other half is to stay up. When I mentioned the highrise, he stopped at that point not wanting to say anything more than that.

So, that's what I have so far, but look to see some work to be done soon.

Last edited by CrestedSaguaro; May 8, 2017 at 4:02 PM. Reason: Project name has changed

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
Circles is apparently much further along than we have thought. The glass on the corner is now covered on the inside with tarp. There were several guys with green vest in the parking lot (looked to be doing work on the roof). I spoke with one and he stated that half of the building is slated to be demo'd and the other half is to stay up. When I mentioned the highrise, he stopped at that point not wanting to say anything more than that.

Seems as if he is just part of a demo or preservation crew. It could sit for awhile after demo like Paz, but I hope not.

I didn't get a great look, but thought I saw additional equipment including a water truck on site at Edison today.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 4:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:

I hope that's the case, but I don't get that they're close yet since they still have to go through design changes and the City.

Historic preservationists express concern for plans for Circles Records and Tapes

http://downtowndevil.com/2016/03/29/...a9fa-355686605

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 9:58 PM
Modulator

Can comfirm some demo work definitely going on at Circles now. Workers are tearing insulation off of the roof and lots of banging, pounding sawing and dust coming from inside of both ends of the building. I'm guessing mostly likely environmental removal of materials for pre-demolition work. It will be interesting to see what kind of news will come out soon on this.

Also, looks like Edison is "unofficially" starting. All the work going on is plumbing going into the round. Pic below for your viewing pleasure.

Last edited by CrestedSaguaro; Mar 30, 2016 at 10:13 PM.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 10:10 PM

yay asbestos!

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 10:28 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Can comfirm some demo work definitely going on at Circles now. Workers are tearing insulation off of the roof and lots of banging, pounding sawing and dust coming from inside of both ends of the building. I'm guessing mostly likely environmental removal of materials for pre-demolition work. It will be interesting to see what kind of news will come out soon on this.
I've been seeing a lot of outrage on Facebook today that a full demolition permit has been issued for the Stewart Motor Company (aka Circles) building.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 10:59 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
I've been seeing a lot of outrage on Facebook today that a full demolition permit has been issued for the Stewart Motor Company (aka Circles) building.
Not sure how true that is. The person I spoke with yesterday was part of the crew and he said the contract was for half the building. I sure hope he is right and FB is wrong!

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 11:07 PM
Skyriser

^ Preserve Phoenix has a copy of the permit available on their Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/PreservePhoenix/?fref=photo

They also report that the Lescher and Mahoney-designed 1949 medical office building at 1313 N 2nd St will be demolished for an office building by Transwestern.

No plan reviews for the above building have been posted.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 11:35 PM
Modulator

Wow. Talk about a suckerpunch to the preservationists!

I think the building would be worth saving and integrating into the development, but at the same time, we are talking about a dense development that will add hundreds of residents to a VERY dead block and maybe the building was just not salvageable at a low enough cost or major work?

It's a shame this couldn't work out to make everyone happy, but it looks like it could be a project akin to Derby in terms of quality, so I hope atleast they build it right and also integrate a good retail component.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 11:48 PM

Maybe they just got the full site demo permit for their own sake, but plan to try to work part of the existing building into their plans (as they have shown).

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 12:29 AM
self-important urbanista

Here's the permit:

The "total" box is checked, but as suggested above, it may be easier to obtain a permit to knock the whole thing down and then stop short of that outcome than to obtain a permit for a partial demolition and then have to reapply if the scope of work expands.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 2:42 PM

I just can't get a grip on what everyone's problem is with this. The only interesting part of the building will stay and it is to be used as restaurant space, seems like everyone should be happy.
http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...lans/82274512/

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
I just can't get a grip on what everyone's problem is with this. The only interesting part of the building will stay and it is to be used as restaurant space, seems like everyone should be happy.
I 100% agree.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Maybe its because im just some damn millennial kid who never bought vinyl but I don't get why everyone cares about a stupid record store.

Its not like some piece of art deco glory or some old classical architecture, its a 1950's brick retail building with a circular glass front.

Tear the thing down who gives a shit!

Last edited by Obadno; Mar 31, 2016 at 3:27 PM.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 3:22 PM

It's actually a prime example of post-war architecture and it is a building with a lot of character in a style that isn't constructed anymore. The architecturally significant portion of the building should stay and be used for something which people can enjoy like a restaurant or retail space. Coincidentally that's what the plans are calling for.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 3:29 PM

Quote:
It's actually a prime example of post-war architecture and it is a building with a lot of character in a style that isn't constructed anymore. The architecturally significant portion of the building should stay and be used for something which people can enjoy like a restaurant or retail space. Coincidentally that's what the plans are calling for.
Just because something is old doesn't mean it should be saved, I don't think it is special enough to be saved.

Likewise if the Mill in Tempe wasn't the namesake for Mill Avenue I would advocate tearing that down as well, it is a horrid eyesore.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 3:34 PM

I completely agree that something shouldn't be saved because it's old, it should be saved if it's interesting.

I find the circular corner of this building interesting and I know that I'm not in the minority.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 3:37 PM

Quote:
I totally agree. At this point if full salvage and renovation isn't an option, which it obviously isn't (and letting it sit and rot in its current state forever shouldn't be an option either), preservationists and everyone should be happy this developer is working with them to save as much as they are.

People wanting this thing saved as is and renovated and given to the community as their own space are living in la-la land. Take the compromise, enjoy old pictures of the full building, and then enjoy the new development with the cool part in tact. It's better than the alternative of complete destruction (which their bitching is probably leading the developer to), or a vacant, slowly rotting building providing nothing for the community.

I think the rendering looks great with the curved window and curved wall.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 3:41 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Just because something is old doesn't mean it should be saved, I don't think it is special enough to be saved.

Likewise if the Mill in Tempe wasn't the namesake for Mill Avenue I would advocate tearing that down as well, it is a horrid eyesore.
You don't think it's special enough to be saved? Maybe others feel DIFFERENTLY. This Sim City fake reality where new is good and old is bad is so f8&king sad on a city forum. Can you imagine this conversation in a Chicago or NY forum? Let's tear down Tovrea Castle, it's kinda ugly, what about the Luhrs Building? Way too ornate-replace it will steel and glass.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 3:44 PM

It's sad going on Chicago/ NYC/ even London's forums and seeing all the great old buildings that get knocked down yearly for uninspired glass and steel. I would kill for some of those buildings here in PHX. As a 'millennial' myself, I wish we could retain more of what we demolish.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest