HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 7:35 PM

Atessa MotorSports Complex - Another Casa Grande Pipe Dream?

http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...orcycle-Racing

So, on FB the haters are already out on this one given the Phoenixmart history. (I am still a hopeful one on that by the way - and there IS working going on daily).

This guy (Danrick Builder owner) is clearly a big race fan and APPEARS to have done some homework.

We ll see....

Old Posted Jun 6, 2016, 10:44 PM

I am sure many here have now read about this in PBJ etc. but for anyone looking for additional details at a later date here is an updated article on this project.

More of a research/testing facility than an actual PIR type racetrack (although one of the principals apparently is a former PIR co-owner). But they say there will be a few "major" races per year.

Phase One cost estimates at $250 million. I actuall exchanged some emails with principals here. Sounds promising - but still a long ways to go.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/b...a-grandes.html

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 4:40 AM

Got an update on this one tonight too both from the Planning Director and the President of Attesa.

This project is actually outside the city limits but since it IS within the city's "planning boundary" and is likely to eventually be annexed to the city - the county has asked for city input - nothing big here - the city sent a letter of approval with some simple requests to make the eventual transition easier.

But Dan Patrick - President of the development company was also there - though not required by any stretch since this isn't even a city project! He offered the following information and seemed pretty confident in it:

1. "At Risk" groundbreaking in 12 months.

2. First races in 42 months.

3. They have entered into a development agreement with a major resort hotel chain.

This project will have similarities to "Stellar Aipark" in Chandler - where these very wealthy race teams will have houses, major auto garages, and plane hangars all as part of their property and will use the racecourse for testing and practice purposes.

Then there will races held at the facility as well.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 10:32 PM

I didn't want to start a new thread for a project that will never happen, but here's an article from a recent Casa Grande Dispatch.

http://www.pinalcentral.com/casa_gra...6a5326fb5.html

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 11:26 PM

Well - I am not sure on this new one yet - although I am not sure it won't be built either - need to see after this first meeting next week.

BUT, - I AM pretty up on Attesa - and am pretty confident they will be moving ahead. They are well financed and have an experienced team - they already own the land, and are moving through the County approval process well.

Interesting these are both along the I 8 corridor - one could compliment the other nicely if they both come to fruition.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 5:05 AM

I will say you don't see Jordan Rose herself going on TV vouching for a project often:

http://www.12news.com/news/local/ari...sert/412848448

There is more info in the video than the text.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh9730 View Post
I will say you don't see Jordan Rose herself going on TV vouching for a project often:

http://www.12news.com/news/local/ari...sert/412848448

There is more info in the video than the text.
I don't think that was very fare about the car plant, those require a lot of specific and custom machinery that can take a very long time to build to spec. In some cases some of these press and fab machinery in manufacturing plants are only made by 1 or 2 manufacturers and there is a line, it can take a year or more.

Lucid just finalized and had its plans approved a few months ago.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 9:08 PM

Obadno - yeah - that was a cheap shot - since actually it was just ANNOUNCED in November - the city had to annex some land (done) - rezone it (done) - and it putting together the final development agreement to include the county and Lucid.

They never intended to break ground before summer.

The rest of them - yeah - there have been some delayed/never completed projects.

Still doesn't mean I don't hope this one happens!

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 6:51 PM

With Apex Motor Club nearing opening in Maricopa, I can't see the need for a second large facility so close. I understand the two are fairly different types of tracks but Apex will be able to host just about anything shy of a major F1, NASCAR, etc. type of event. Unless Altessa could host those then I see two very overlapping ideas with one of them just being on a much grander scale.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
With Apex Motor Club nearing opening in Maricopa, I can't see the need for a second large facility so close. I understand the two are fairly different types of tracks but Apex will be able to host just about anything shy of a major F1, NASCAR, etc. type of event. Unless Altessa could host those then I see two very overlapping ideas with one of them just being on a much grander scale.
Why are you always so damn pessimistic?

http://www.pinalcentral.com/casa_gra...f3ca4d19c.html

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 9:57 PM

It's not pessimism, it's a logical guess. Auto tracks cater to a relatively small market and getting one new one is lucky, two new ones just a few minutes apart would be nothing short of amazing.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
It's not pessimism, it's a logical guess. Auto tracks cater to a relatively small market and getting one new one is lucky, two new ones just a few minutes apart would be nothing short of amazing.
Either you heard something, or that was an extremely prescient deduction.

http://azbex.com/battle-revving-up-o...-developments/

Quote:
In recent months Pinal County has become a planning hotbed for all things motorsports, but it seems one group wants to throw a wrench into the works, and the allegations of shady dealings are starting to rev up.

In April, Apex Motor Club won approval for a conditional use permit to develop 280 acres into an “automotive country club” for car enthusiasts. When complete, the motor club will feature a four-mile, multi-configuration asphalt road course, a 12KSF clubhouse, 12KSF multi-purpose building, kart facility and track, tuning shop, fuel and concierge service, and 200 auto storage spaces or “car condos” ranging from 600-to-1,800SF.

However, last week opposition group Maricopa Citizens Protecting Tax Payers Political Action Committee submitted more than 1,100 signatures calling for a voter referendum on the proposal. The group requested and was granted permission to file its petitions last Friday, when Maricopa City Hall is usually closed. The petition application was applied for last month and called for 491 signatures to require a referendum, according to a report on the PinalCental website.

Prior to Maricopa Planning and Zoning’s approval of the conditional use permit in April, the commission received a letter of opposition from some residents and heard an argument by former Arizona Attorney General Grant Woods opposing the project. The opposition was primarily centered around a noise report submitted as part of the consideration by Apex owner, Private Motorsports Group, which Woods stated was insufficient. However, prior to the commission’s unanimous vote, Commissioner Brian Joyce, an architect, disagreed, saying the report was, “Very complete.”

Woods said at the time he represented local opponents to the Apex project, but declined to identify his clients.

Maricopa Citizens Protecting Tax Payers is chaired by Robert Rebich of Phoenix. Rebich and the group have drawn criticism from the Maricopa Chamber of Commerce, among others, for their attempts to throttle down the Apex plan.

In a statement issued last week and published by inMaricopa, the Chamber expressed its support for Apex and said, “Unfortunately, a referendum campaign is being mounted to oppose the APEX Motor Club by a committee – ‘Maricopa Citizens Protecting Taxpayers’ – whose officers do not reside in Maricopa.

“The Maricopa Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors enthusiastically supports the APEX Motor Club and we encourage all Maricopans to do the same.”

Jason Plotke, Private Motorsports president, pulled no punches in identifying whom he thinks is responsible for the referendum petition and attempts to slow the Apex Development: Officials and supporters of the proposed Attesa Motorsports Center and Mixed-Use project in Pinal County.

Attesa’s proposed development dwarfs Apex’s planned facility. The 2,510-acre proposal calls for two separate road courses, a karting track, a driver experience center and a multi-surface racing and event area, along with a private airport with a 6,000-foot-long runway to enable patrons to fly in and out. Attesa also will include residential, hospitality and commercial uses.

An article on inMaricopa cited Plotke and said, “Rebich, (Plotke) said, is just the ‘henchman’ for the Snell & Wilmer law firm, lobbyist Joe Villasenor and Attesa officials. Plotke said he had already heard from mutual acquaintances that Attesa was intent on stopping the APEX complex. Attesa also did not respond to inquiries.”

Plotke also cast doubt on the validity of the signature drive, telling Pinal Central, “We heard from multiple citizens that people circulating the petition were telling them, ‘If you support the motor club, please sign.’”

He told inMaricopa he does not see Apex as a competitive threat to Attesa. “We’re just one small component of what they’re attempting to do,” he said. “And they need to look after their own project. They don’t have zoning yet.”

The petition signatures are currently under review for validation...

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 5:33 PM

yep, they still are hoping to move forward and get it done very quickly.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 11:18 PM

Well - I am much more familiar with the Attesa project than APEX - and have spoken on numerous occasions with the principals involved - and I have NO information that they are the ones behind the petition drive against APEX - and so far I have seen nothing on any of our local chat groups or anything that shows they are - just rumors.

As for the projects - yes they are similar - and there is some overlap - but to answer one of the questions - the Attesa track WILL be completely F1 compatible - and able to host events. Whether they actually ever will be a part of the circuit I think far too early to tell.

The Apex project is primarily a RESIDENTIAL club - similar to the Airpark thing in Chandler.

Attesa on the other hand - while will have a residential component - is mainly hoped to be a RESEARCH and TRAINING facility for professional race teams - as well as an event/tourist attraction. Their hope is that large warehouse/garages with research companies come in and then test their products on the tracks.

Also remember that Attesa will have TWO F1 tracks, a moto track, and a GoKart circuit as well as a private airstrip etc.

I think there is room for both - especially with LUCID Motors coming to CG - and if the Dreamport Villages theme park comes to fruition - Attesa would only be about 10 minutes down I 8.

Would the Attesa people hope that APEX wasn't going in?? Maybe...but again I haven't ever heard them say they will not proceed if APEX does also.

SOME overlap - but hardly complete overlap - especially given the size.

I know all of these comments are in the article above - but was just reiterating.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest