HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 3:55 PM

Fence graphics have been added for the Thursday event.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 5:19 PM
Modulator

Jeez that's a tall 5 stories. Looks almost half of the 19 floor portion.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
Jeez that's a tall 5 stories. Looks almost half of the 19 floor portion.
Yes the office portion is like the new State Farm buildings very high floor plates so the 5 story building has the height of your average 8 or 9 story building

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 11:37 PM

They are starting to line-up the heavy excavation equipment on-site!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 11:54 AM

Gah, that is a gorgeous rendering. I wish that glass along 1st were storefronts and not the backs of food shelving and that an office or hotel snuck onto the 1st/Washington corner. I also remember how pretty the CityScape renderings were. I don't get why they went to the detail of designing underground loading for Fry's if the intent was not to then use more of the ground level for real uses. =/

As long as residential is built, it's not a total buzzkill even if I think there are more appropriate uses for a lot fronting TSA and Colliers.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
Gah, that is a gorgeous rendering. I wish that glass along 1st were storefronts and not the backs of food shelving and that an office or hotel snuck onto the 1st/Washington corner. I also remember how pretty the CityScape renderings were. I don't get why they went to the detail of designing underground loading for Fry's if the intent was not to then use more of the ground level for real uses. =/

As long as residential is built, it's not a total buzzkill even if I think there are more appropriate uses for a lot fronting TSA and Colliers.

1) Just stopped by the ribbon cutting. They have a 4 new renderings of the development from street level on display - quite frankly, it looks fantastic.

2) My similar concerns of the grocery are generally put to rest. This project is truly a game changer for that part of downtown. Have a hunch we'll see some more development proposals for that area in the near term.

3) More heavy equipment on-site including mobile crane.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawd View Post
1) Just stopped by the ribbon cutting. They have a 4 new renderings of the development from street level on display - quite frankly, it looks fantastic.

2) My similar concerns of the grocery are generally put to rest. This project is truly a game changer for that part of downtown. Have a hunch we'll see some more development proposals for that area in the near term.

3) More heavy equipment on-site including mobile crane.
Awesome. Did you happen to take any pictures of the new renderings? If not, I'm sure they'll pop up soon.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 4:18 PM

Quote:
I wish that glass along 1st were storefronts and not the backs of food shelving
FYI - I don't believe the glass along 1st is exclusively the grocery. I *think* it includes a mix of retail. The grocery is actually multi-level, which should be cool/urban feeling.

They emphasized a number of times during the ribbon cutting ceremony that this isn't going to be 'just some ordinary grocery store'. Whatever that means. haha.

Last edited by fawd; Apr 13, 2017 at 4:56 PM.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 5:30 PM

EXCITING....especially, FAWD, the comment from you, "Have a hunch we'll see some more development proposals for that area in the near term." You always seem to know a bit more ...... hoping you have some inside info to say this......

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawd View Post
FYI - I don't believe the glass along 1st is exclusively the grocery. I *think* it includes a mix of retail. The grocery is actually multi-level, which should be cool/urban feeling.

They emphasized a number of times during the ribbon cutting ceremony that this isn't going to be 'just some ordinary grocery store'. Whatever that means. haha.
I remember seeing an article that stated street activation would occur along the Fry's ground floors as well and not necessarily glass walls with the back of shelves visible. Whether this means retail or the Fry's itself offering some sort of walk-up offering for cold sandwiches, coffee, sushi, etc. They are trying to cater to the lunch crowd for on-to-go bites but I can't recall where I saw the article

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airomero83 View Post
I remember seeing an article that stated street activation would occur along the Fry's ground floors as well and not necessarily glass walls with the back of shelves visible. Whether this means retail or the Fry's itself offering some sort of walk-up offering for cold sandwiches, coffee, sushi, etc. They are trying to cater to the lunch crowd for on-to-go bites but I can't recall where I saw the article
Yes, there will be some additional retail. Even the sign states that they are now leasing commercial AND retail.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 6:51 PM

You can see two of the ground level renderings in this ABC15 video. There were a couple more.

http://www.abc15.com/news/region-pho...rtment-project

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 7:02 PM

https://www.facebook.com/downtownphoenixambassadors/

Link for the photos of the project. Impressive, I like the photos of the old Phoenix Fire Station #1 too. Would be cool if they included some sort of homage for it in the development by the way of a 19th century themed (fine-dining) restaurant 'The Firehouse,' or hell, even a Firehouse Subs.

Last edited by Phxguy; Apr 13, 2017 at 7:39 PM.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 8:25 PM

AZCentral also has their story up covering the groundbreaking.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...und/100298576/
Quote:
The complex also aims to generate its own customers with hundreds of new residential units that have the feel of an "urban boutique hotel," said Tom Bakewell, president of StreetLights Residential.

The Phoenix City Council recently approved extra flexibility in the balance of residential and office space in the development after seeing huge demand on the office side, Community and Economic Development Director Christine Mackay said.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2017, 2:42 AM

Unfortunately, the site plan is pretty literal in what makes up the ground floor. 3/4 of 1st Street is grocery and while a 2-story glass storefront looks beautiful in renderings, the reality is that no grocer can afford to lose that amount of wall space. The only retail planned is the corners of Wasshington/1st and Washington/2nd St. Even Colliers and TSA will face residential amenities and not retail.

I realize I am obsessed with retail. But, this block is surrounded by 4 of the most important rows of businesses in all of downtown. If you don't think retail is appropriate in that case, when is it? We've lost the WD, so this would have been perfect for a House of Blues, iPic, Pool Hall... hell, a Dave&Buster's even.

The grocer is "like no other" because of the very good adjustments RED made them make to their business model: underground loading, adding a 2nd floor, etc. The shitty ground level does not take away from the good of the project, and I think RED had the right idea in mind like they did for CityScape. But, the space saved by underground loading should not have been used to add windows for Fry's...

It's great that residential seems like a 'go' and as I said the rendering looks gorgeous. I hope it isn't value-engineered to shit like CS was.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2017, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately, the site plan is pretty literal in what makes up the ground floor. 3/4 of 1st Street is grocery and while a 2-story glass storefront looks beautiful in renderings, the reality is that no grocer can afford to lose that amount of wall space.
You're right. Let's scrap the only grocery downtown for a Dave and Busters... right next door to Tilted Kilt, Copper Blues, and Hard Rock.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2017, 6:40 PM

Complain when we don't have a DT grocery and complain when we get one. OY!

Old Posted Apr 15, 2017, 10:24 PM

So with all the components of the project and them saying it's going to be done in early 2019. Do you all think they will open the Frys first while under construction? I feel like they could get the Frys done by next summer while still building the offices and apartments. For the rest of it though I feel like them saying early 2019 will be more like late 2019 especially for the apartments. What do you guys think? Or does anyone know what the time line might be like?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 12:42 AM

Enjoy!

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 3:51 PM
Modulator

Freaking awesome! Love it!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest