HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 3:35 PM

The annexation should help city tax revenue also. I know there are a lot of County islands with retail establishments (in part to reduce sales tax). This will help level the playing field.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick S View Post
I saw that article yesterday. It's interesting to note that the Bay Area's spokesman joked, "We won't be including any cacti. But we may throw in a pinot". I think that Tucson has absolutely no chance to get this project. But that quote and articles like this are the free press you speak of. Is it going to work for this project, most likely not, but I think what it does is it gets, and hopefully keeps, Tucson in the minds of other companies that may be thinking of moving or opening new offices or headquarters - companies we have a much more realistic shot at landing.
FYI, Raytheon moved to Tucson during the 50's when Tucson was a small city of 50k.

Tesla moved to Reno Metro.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerk View Post
FYI, Raytheon moved to Tucson during the 50's when Tucson was a small city of 50k.
Tucson was chosen because Howard Hughes was concerned that a coastal location for a manufacturing facility would be vulnerable to attack should the US go to war with the USSR. Tucson was far enough from the coast to be safe, but not too far that it was still within reasonable travel distance from corporate offices in Southern California. Plus I imagine the land was cheap

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerk View Post
Tesla moved to Reno Metro.
Not the HQ, just one of the factories. Tesla asked for a half billion in cash up front, NV countered with $1.3B in tax dodges instead.

I doubt the legislature would put up 1% of that to lure anything to Pima County.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 4:25 PM

Crane construction at Aspire is beginning today.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 7:00 PM

Updates

CityPark

The Marist on Cathedral Square

Westerner/West Point

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 2:24 AM

Shipping container housing project to go up near downtown Tucson
A young Tucson couple is setting out to revolutionize the housing market.

Janelle Briggs and Ryan Egan expect to start construction on their first Stackhouse development next year.

The patent-pending Stackhouse is a steel structure with slots for shipping-container homes.

Homebuyers can pick their container and rent a slot in the Stackhouse, which will be located near the head of the snake bridge at Broadway and Euclid Avenue.

The structure will hold two units per floor with five to seven stories and is expected to be about 50-feet high. A special crane will lift and place the containers in their slot.

After the Tucson development, Briggs and Egan will build Stackhouses in California, Colorado and Washington state and aspire to be in every state one day, offering members of the Stackhouse community the opportunity to take their homes with them when they move or travel.

“No one has done this before and we know this is coming to the market,” said Briggs, co-founder and business strategist for Stackhouse. “We wanted to be the first to introduce it in urban cores and tech centers.

“It’s a no-brainer to give it a shot.”

Amazon recently began selling prefabricated shipping container houses that only need a slab to sit on and plug in the sewer, water and electricity connections.

Manufactured by MODS International, the $36,000 homes cost $4,500 to deliver and come fully furnished. The 40-foot containers offer 320 square feet of living space.

In recognition of the tiny house appeal, last year Pima County waived certain building codes such as minimum dwelling, room and ceiling dimensions and stairway requirements for loft areas.

Briggs’ partner, Egan, a commercial real estate broker, said he is excited about the idea of providing affordable housing with these developments.

“I feel like this could help so many people,” he said.

They are working with manufacturers to get the cost of the home in the $35,000 to $40,000 range, which will include full-size kitchen appliances. Rent in the Stackhouse, which will include utilities, cable and Internet, will start at $500 a month for a ground slot and climb to $1,000 for the top floor.

Each slot will have a wraparound deck and each structure will feature a rooftop deck for residents to share.

Stackhouse membership will entitle homeowners to bid on slots in different locations or trade spaces with their neighbors. The cost of the membership has not been determined.

The idea of such a model came to them when they were looking to downsize their own living space, Briggs said.

“We loved the idea of tiny housing and found so many options, including shipping containers placed on our property,” she said. “But we thought we should be able to take our home with us wherever we go.”

The duo plans to invest about $650,000 on the Tucson development and is working with interested investors.

They plan to target first-time homebuyers and active retirees who like the idea of taking their home with them as they move around the country, visiting grandchildren in different states.

“They still want to sleep in their own bed,” Briggs said.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 4:00 AM

Quote:
Shipping container housing project to go up near downtown Tucson
A young Tucson couple is setting out to revolutionize the housing market.

Janelle Briggs and Ryan Egan expect to start construction on their first Stackhouse development next year.

The patent-pending Stackhouse is a steel structure with slots for shipping-container homes.

Homebuyers can pick their container and rent a slot in the Stackhouse, which will be located near the head of the snake bridge at Broadway and Euclid Avenue.

The structure will hold two units per floor with five to seven stories and is expected to be about 50-feet high. A special crane will lift and place the containers in their slot.

After the Tucson development, Briggs and Egan will build Stackhouses in California, Colorado and Washington state and aspire to be in every state one day, offering members of the Stackhouse community the opportunity to take their homes with them when they move or travel.

“No one has done this before and we know this is coming to the market,” said Briggs, co-founder and business strategist for Stackhouse. “We wanted to be the first to introduce it in urban cores and tech centers.

“It’s a no-brainer to give it a shot.”

Amazon recently began selling prefabricated shipping container houses that only need a slab to sit on and plug in the sewer, water and electricity connections.

Manufactured by MODS International, the $36,000 homes cost $4,500 to deliver and come fully furnished. The 40-foot containers offer 320 square feet of living space.

In recognition of the tiny house appeal, last year Pima County waived certain building codes such as minimum dwelling, room and ceiling dimensions and stairway requirements for loft areas.

Briggs’ partner, Egan, a commercial real estate broker, said he is excited about the idea of providing affordable housing with these developments.

“I feel like this could help so many people,” he said.

They are working with manufacturers to get the cost of the home in the $35,000 to $40,000 range, which will include full-size kitchen appliances. Rent in the Stackhouse, which will include utilities, cable and Internet, will start at $500 a month for a ground slot and climb to $1,000 for the top floor.

Each slot will have a wraparound deck and each structure will feature a rooftop deck for residents to share.

Stackhouse membership will entitle homeowners to bid on slots in different locations or trade spaces with their neighbors. The cost of the membership has not been determined.

The idea of such a model came to them when they were looking to downsize their own living space, Briggs said.

“We loved the idea of tiny housing and found so many options, including shipping containers placed on our property,” she said. “But we thought we should be able to take our home with us wherever we go.”

The duo plans to invest about $650,000 on the Tucson development and is working with interested investors.

They plan to target first-time homebuyers and active retirees who like the idea of taking their home with them as they move around the country, visiting grandchildren in different states.

“They still want to sleep in their own bed,” Briggs said.
First of all, I spent about 20 minutes looking up what parcel near the head of the snake bridge this could be on but didn't find anything on PRO. Second, I'm not sure I understand the business model of having people invest $30,000 to $40,000 in a home and then charge them up to $1,000 per month in rent. With current interest rates, I think you could probably buy a $220,000 house with an equivalent down payment and pay about $1,000 a month. And, the house would almost definitely be significantly bigger than 320 square feet.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lyons View Post
First of all, I spent about 20 minutes looking up what parcel near the head of the snake bridge this could be on but didn't find anything on PRO. Second, I'm not sure I understand the business model of having people invest $30,000 to $40,000 in a home and then charge them up to $1,000 per month in rent. With current interest rates, I think you could probably buy a $220,000 house with an equivalent down payment and pay about $1,000 a month. And, the house would almost definitely be significantly bigger than 320 square feet.
I'm not sure what I think of this. It's an interesting idea, but not sure how successful it will be. My dad lives about 90 miles west of Chicago and became one of the dreaded snowbirds last year. He had been looking for a place for a couple years - looked for a condo, wanted some place where he didn't have to take care of a yard and worry about things too much while he was gone for 8 months. He ended up getting a double-wide trailer at a 55+ mobile home park. He paid around $20k and has a $650 or so rent a month. My point is, there are those who want something quick and easy, and don't mind paying rent monthly. Again, I'm not sure about this, and don't know how successful this will be, but there may be some that are drawn to it.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 3:27 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure what I think of this. It's an interesting idea, but not sure how successful it will be. My dad lives about 90 miles west of Chicago and became one of the dreaded snowbirds last year. He had been looking for a place for a couple years - looked for a condo, wanted some place where he didn't have to take care of a yard and worry about things too much while he was gone for 8 months. He ended up getting a double-wide trailer at a 55+ mobile home park. He paid around $20k and has a $650 or so rent a month. My point is, there are those who want something quick and easy, and don't mind paying rent monthly. Again, I'm not sure about this, and don't know how successful this will be, but there may be some that are drawn to it.
Is the mobile home park centrally located? Those costs change my perspective on this a little, but a double-wide is significantly bigger than 320 square feet.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 1:21 AM

Quote:
Is the mobile home park centrally located? Those costs change my perspective on this a little, but a double-wide is significantly bigger than 320 square feet.
No. Camino Seco, south of Golf Links.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 4:20 AM

We spent this past weekend in Tucson. Stayed at the Marriott AC; checked out Street Tacos, Johnny Gibsons, Hub Ice Cream, Cartel. Took Sun Link over to U of A a couple of times. My first time back in Tucson in in 6 or 7 years. I was really impressed with all the changes downtown. Hope they continue!

I took a few pictures and thought I'd share them here.

Marriott AC

Downtown Early Morning

UofA from Marriott AC

Main Gate "Skyline"

Murals

Bill Walton Jackalope

Wall of Wheels at Cartel Coffee

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 4:03 PM

Great shots!

I found the webcam for The Mark: https://ueb.net/webcam31.html

Still looking for one for Aspire.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Great shots!

I found the webcam for The Mark: https://ueb.net/webcam31.html

Still looking for one for Aspire.
That's a great view. Thanks for sharing that webcam.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 10:40 PM
BANNED

This Phoenix boy loves me some Tucson. Great photos.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 11:02 PM

Picture I took today of Aspire--looks like a tower crane will rise any day now!

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southtucsonboy77 View Post
That's a great view. Thanks for sharing that webcam.
Beautiful view. Attention developers: I will gladly sell my house and buy a condo if you can get me that view

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 8:23 PM

Crane construction at Aspire.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2017, 3:20 PM
BANNED

This is a great shot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheBurbs View Post
[SIZE="3"]
UofA from Marriott AC

Old Posted Nov 4, 2017, 4:00 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheBurbs View Post
We spent this past weekend in Tucson. Stayed at the Marriott AC; checked out Street Tacos, Johnny Gibsons, Hub Ice Cream, Cartel. Took Sun Link over to U of A a couple of times. My first time back in Tucson in in 6 or 7 years. I was really impressed with all the changes downtown. Hope they continue!

I took a few pictures and thought I'd share them here.

Marriott AC

How was the hotel? I was hoping to stay there during my last business trip to Tucson, but the hotel was still a week away from opening. I hope to try it on my next trip.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest