HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jan 12, 2006, 10:31 PM

Arrow Tempe Development Thread

Revised 8-1-07:

--don

Last edited by Don B.; Aug 2, 2007 at 12:24 AM.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2006, 11:25 PM

Awesome. Tempe is going to kick ass in no time. Details at your earliest convenience, dear sir...

Old Posted Jan 12, 2006, 11:38 PM
BANNED

that's cool....one project or three?

Old Posted Jan 12, 2006, 11:53 PM
Desert Urbanite

Go Tempe! So many projects, and so many cranes up!

Last edited by Azndragon837; Apr 25, 2006 at 8:59 PM.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2006, 11:58 PM

Mill and 3rd St? Which corner? Hayden Flour Mills? US Airways frontage? Parking lot of the Mission Palms? Regardless, dynamite location.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2006, 12:51 AM

right on Mill Ave near where the light rail is going in?

hmmmmmmmm

I'd venture to guess where Monti's is now. Did/are they going to sell their property? I would think Mission Palms, but I don't think they'd give up their overflow parking... but maybe.

BTW, anyone know what's going in where Long Wongs used to be? And when? I noticed they demo'ed the building a few weeks ago.

BTW2, anyone notice the small building going in at 10th (?) and Mill? It's a semi-cool, perfect infill building where the old Dairy Queen used to be. I'm wondering what it is. It looks like some kind of art space or retail. If they put something on the SW corner where the gas station used to be, Mill could definitely take off south of University even more than what's established.

We need a Tempe projects thread.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2006, 12:55 AM

You guys do know that U.S. Airways is planning a second, slightly taller tower next to their existing tower in Tempe? I think it is probably going to be about 12 stories, either immediately south or east of the existing tower.

--don

Old Posted Jan 13, 2006, 4:01 AM

^ Wow, Tempe is the real deal. They understand their need to go vertcial and they are taking action. Awesome. If only every major city in Arizona had this mentality. 10 years from now Tempe very well may better a decent little Phoenix DT to come.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2006, 4:25 AM

deleted

--don

Last edited by Don B.; Sep 27, 2006 at 4:06 PM.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2006, 4:59 AM

That's gonna be amazing. Go Tempe!

Old Posted Jan 13, 2006, 5:31 AM
Kodachrome

I love checking in on Phoenix and Tempe, but with all the projects coming
down the line and actually happening in Tempe that cities going to look great.

Those mock-up renderings Don B. are great

Old Posted Jan 13, 2006, 7:34 AM
Desert Urbanite

Tempe is going to rival Phoenix during the next few years with redevelopment. Looks like Tempe is ahead af the game since all these cranes are up.

Last edited by Azndragon837; Apr 25, 2006 at 9:01 PM.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2006, 7:36 AM
Desert Urbanite

For the Long Wong's site on 7th and Mill, a two story mixed-use building was supposed to go up, but thier submittal expired, therefore the developer must submit a new site plan review submittal, and go through the whole city process again. The Tempe Planning Staff and I do not like the two-story proposal...we wanted something taller, so we are glad that the submittal to build a new building expired, hehehe.

Last edited by Azndragon837; Apr 26, 2006 at 7:40 AM.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2006, 11:19 AM
Skyriser

Quote:
For the Long Wong's site on 7th and Mill, a two story mixed-use building was supposed to go up, but thier submittal expired, therefore the developer must submit a new site plan review submittal, and go through the whole city process again. The Tempe Planning Staff and I do not like the two-story proposal...we wanted something taller, so we are glad that the submittal to
build a new building expired, hehehe.
I've always thought Mill should have a mostly 2 story street frontage, as that seems most compatible with the area. For as pioneering as it was, the Brickyard made an unruly dent in the Mill scene by building too much retail in a subpar streetscape and site plan.

I'm torn on how these projects should be decided, but you really have to approach theese major tenant-lacking retail/office projects with a higher degree of scrutiny than their residential counterparts. I haven't been down College Ave in a while but has the two-story retail annex to the ASU Foundation leased any of its space yet? How long was it vacant?

I'm under the impression that if ASU didn't need the space, the Brickyard would be similarly underleased as well.

Censored 04/25/06

Last edited by combusean; Apr 25, 2006 at 9:14 PM.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2006, 6:22 PM

I assume you are not talking about Centerpoint right? That's has been on the boards for a long time, and they broke ground at 5th and Ash recently. Two 30 story towers, and a 22 story tower.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2006, 6:43 PM

^different beast.

Re Sean's post, I agree the Mill Avenue streetscape ought to be considered aesthetically before any rezoning. The project Don is referring to is essentially outside the core area, however. I would like to see any project connect to the street, however. I certainly hope the Hayden Ferry projects do that ultimately. Maybe Andrew knows......?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2006, 8:11 PM
Desert Urbanite

We will all keep an eye out for the future U.S. Airways Tower, I want to know how that baby is going to look like! Same goes for the NE corner of 3rd Street and Mill Avenue area north of Mission Palms (the Hayden Flour Mill Redevelopment site, which is currently being evaluated for Archeological purposes before it gets redeveloped). As for most projects in Phoenix and Tempe (such as the U.S. Airways Tower), some are presented first to city leaders before the public, to get an idea what the response might be. It might be a little secretative, but, it helps developers "build-up" the momentum with the city before an official release is done.

Last edited by Azndragon837; Apr 26, 2006 at 3:03 PM.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2006, 9:32 PM

^ I still think this "secrecy" is asinine and reflective of the project's overall dubious nature. The basis for same seems laughable.

I will keep my fingers crossed. I have found that developers are notoriously difficult to get cooperation from. I can't count on both hands how many times I have spoken to a developer who promised to get me renderings and never came through. Then I've got many more instances where they just totally ignore you, to the point I'm sick of even trying.

--don

Old Posted Jan 13, 2006, 9:45 PM
Desert Urbanite

There are also a few smaller projects going up around Tempe, like Brownstones, Millstone, and a couple of other "lofty" projects that will make Tempe more dense.

Last edited by Azndragon837; Apr 25, 2006 at 9:05 PM.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2006, 1:54 AM

Andrew, do you know what is being built at about 1st Ave & Farmer or Roosevelt, just south of Regatta Pointe?

There's another lot on 1st Avenue and something that's fenced.

That whole neighborhood (River neighborhood? northern Maple/Ash neighborhood?) is densifying like crazy. There is the Vale, Merrion Square Lofts, 5th Ave Lofts, a huge brownstone project, and at least 2 mystery high-density multi-family developments U/C.

Here's the U/C 5th Ave lofts... there are a total of 7 units that sit on about 1/4 - 1/2 acre, 5th Ave and Roosevelt, just west of Mill... all units are 3-stories.

The brownstone project I am referring to is (used) to be called Brownstones at Hyde park. Here is the old rendering. I don't know if it changed as this is from a couple years ago, but the site has many of the structures erected already, they are awaiting their fininsh. I believe it is 63 units on about 5 acres:

Last edited by PHX31; Jan 20, 2006 at 2:10 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest