HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Mar 31, 2006, 8:02 PM

Las Vegas has a new Grand Canyon-themed mega resort in the works. The image of a large canyon with clouds floating closely above it is definitely coming across.

I like it. I wonder was that spire jutting up from the center is exactly? Is it purely for aesthetics, or will it have some other purpose? Will people have access to it? Looks large enough possibly.

It would feel incredibly massive at street-level.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2006, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azndragon837
^I like the design, but it better engage to the street (Both Univeristy and Mill Ave). Place retail and service frontage on both streets, and maybe student housing somewhere.

It looks conceptual, but it might be real. On ASU's website, the section that talks about Michael Crow's the New American University, the Will Bruder design is showcased on there, so this might be real.

http://www.asu.edu/president/newamericanuniversity/

-Andrew
I recall reading something to the effect that this would be a mixed-use project, so ground-floor retail should be a component. I'm pleased to think Michael Crow thinks highly enough of this to put it on ASU's website. ASU's newer buildings (the alumni building, the Lattie Coor building et al) are nicely designed. But for the most part, ASU is a farrago of Southwest Mediocre. The great thing about the Gateway project is that it really would tell the world ASU is not merely some oversized public university/party school, but a serious contender in new technologies and design. If realized, this Bruder concept would radically alter how people see ASU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelback_road
Las Vegas has a new Grand Canyon-themed mega resort in the works. The image of a large canyon with clouds floating closely above it is definitely coming across.

I like it. I wonder was that spire jutting up from the center is exactly? Is it purely for aesthetics, or will it have some other purpose? Will people have access to it? Looks large enough possibly.

It would feel incredibly massive at street-level.
I don't know what that thing is. A carillion? FAA bait? But the vertical element counterbalances the overall horizontal effect and guides the eye into the complex. You can imagine how neat it would be at night with the proper lighting.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2006, 10:34 PM
watcher

went to the tempe art festival today after school and notice this had popped up. i don't remember it yesterday, but i was late to class.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2006, 8:08 AM
Desert Urbanite

^Raaaaa! Damn, that went up FAST! You can see 3 cranes! That is sooo cool. Whoa, the one crane that is the tallest is constructing the main crane. Centerpoint is definately a go. Wushu18t (Lee) mentioned to me that when he went to class this Friday morning, there was not a crane there. A few hours later, the cranes were up.

Centerpoint couldn't have timed it better to put the cranes up for the arts festival. Funny, because Centerpoint Condominiums is the official main sponsor of the Tempe Arts Festival.

Word of advice: try to avoid Tempe this weekend. Both the Arts Festival and the Music Festival (featuring the likes of John Mayer, Gin Blossoms, Vertical Horizon, Train, and a lot more) are going on at the same time, so traffic and parking will be a bitch.

-Andrew

Old Posted Apr 1, 2006, 1:31 PM
Skyriser

^ Best Evil Conspiracy of 2006:

A Southwest Airlines plane, piloted by Gordon and Krietor, crashes into the crane on their way to Sky Harbor announcing that company's headquarters relocation to Phoenix.

Team Hallman doctor photos from a US Airways tower security camera to prove this, but are caught off guard by a plucky FAA bureaucrat who was in town the day of the accident. He wasn't actually doing any work--that would be rather unlike the FAA here--he just happened to be in Tempe at the time taking pictures of Hooters waitresses.

The plane next to Michelle's rather plump right boob knocking over the crane is in a completely different part of the sky.

The nation is both bewildered and outraged, but life continues more or less as normal in our sleepy city as most citizens dust off the politics as usual.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2006, 2:12 PM
Skyriser

Check the ASU Thread for larger renderings and a site plan for the ASU Arts and Business Gateway, the big curvy thing up there. It does have retail fronting Mill--perhaps not in the traditional sense but I do like the mixed use aspects of this project.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2006, 8:19 PM
watcher

took a few pictures from the parking garage behind the harkins centerpoint theatres. the crane is finished and toiling away. bored after school.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2006, 8:48 PM

^ Nice to see, thanks.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2006, 11:10 AM

Lakeside hotel deal may be near in Tempe
180-room tower would be full service facility

Jahna Berry
The Arizona Republic
Apr. 7, 2006

TEMPE -Suncor Development Co., the firm that is building gleaming blue office towers and condos on Tempe Town Lake, says it is tantalizingly close to a lakeside hotel deal.

The proposal is for a 12- to 15-story hotel with up to 180 rooms and a possible condominium component that would be a "four-star or better" level of service, said Randy Levin, vice president of design and urban infill development for Suncor.

"We think the lake is very special," Levin said. "We are not interested in selling a land pad. We are interested in getting it right."

If Suncor's hotel plans gel, the property will become part of a flurry of Tempe hotel news:

• The owners of the Tempe Mission Palms are reviewing a plan to add up to 200 rooms and 20,000 square feet of meeting space to the 300-room downtown hotel.

• The Fiesta Inn Resort's owners have announced plans to pour $5 million in renovations for landscaping and conference space.

• Tempe city leaders are finalizing a $42.5 million land sale with a team led by a California developer that would bring hotel rooms and shopping to 27 acres of city property within two miles of Suncor's development.

Tempe, which has aggressively chased tourism dollars, has longed for an upscale downtown hotel.

While Tempe has a wealth of limited-service hotels, there are only six full-service hotels in the city, said Michael Martin, executive vice president of the Tempe Convention & Visitors Bureau.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2006, 3:33 AM
Skyriser

I don't quite understand the hotel demand economics in Tempe. But it makes sense that Suncor is thinking of a condotel as that market is essentially untapped market here.

Is this a scenario like Vegas where if we build it, they will come or is there really enough natural demand in Tempe for this sort of thing with everything that's going on? Why aren't hotels like the Twin Palms (that big pink building on Apache) thriving on their own?

Remember that the Arts and Business Gateway includes a 120 room education hotel, whatever that means.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2006, 11:47 PM
Desert Urbanite

Tempe Building Heights

I believe Tempe is developing a building height concept study for downtown, probably a response to the height issues caused by Centerpoint and the W Hotel.

-Andrew

Last edited by Azndragon837; Apr 25, 2006 at 9:36 PM.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2006, 11:08 AM
Desert Urbanite

TEMPE PROJECTS UPDATE:

Looks like Hayden Ferry Lakeside's Phase II 10-story office tower is going up really fast...I need to get pictures going. Maybe I can ask Lee (Wushu 18t) to take some, since I do not have my digital camera anymore.

-Andrew

Last edited by Azndragon837; Apr 25, 2006 at 9:36 PM.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2006, 12:51 PM

^ Coolness!

They want a U-shaped downtown?

--don

Old Posted Apr 20, 2006, 6:56 AM

Sorry such big pictures!

All of this development is along the Lake. and then down Farmer and Roosevelt street. Actually- 5 projects along Roosevelt and a few lots coming up for sale....

Old Posted Apr 20, 2006, 8:36 AM
Desert Urbanite

^I posted that public hearing sign (City of Tempe). That's my handwriting and post, hehehe.

Last edited by Azndragon837; Apr 25, 2006 at 9:37 PM.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2006, 11:12 AM
Skyriser

Another Apache Blvd. condo tower idea pops up

Katie Nelson
The Arizona Republic
Apr. 19, 2006 12:00 AM

Another condo tower is being proposed along Apache Boulevard, the most recent step in the possible revitalization of the area along with light rail.

It's too early to tell whether the proposal will withstand city scrutiny. It is in early planning stages. But the developer is confident the towering project would bring new residents and a new outlook to the boulevard.

LandSource Holdings is working to get city approval and soon will begin making the rounds to community groups, said Jim Powers, a company partner.

LandSource wants to replace the lots at 948 and 1000 E. Apache with an 18-story condo complex. It would be just east of Rural Road on Apache.

Initial plans submitted to the city for review show it would include retail space on the ground floor. There would be live/work, studio and 1 and 2-bedroom residential units.

The Phoenix-based company is new to the urban residential building business, but has teamed with an experienced firm in Scottsdale, Circle West Architects. That group is responsible for the Longbow Business Park and Golf Club in Mesa and Market Street at DC Ranch in north Scottsdale.

Powers said he and his partners realize there will be plentiful competition within landlocked Tempe.

Tempe is building high-rise housing at record rates. Compared with this time last year, the city has issued about 400 more building permits, and construction valuation has almost doubled, according to the city's Development Services department.

"A lot of that housing, especially the upscale housing, is overpriced," Powers said. "We feel like we can deliver housing that is more moderately priced, simply because you're not paying the riverfront pricing, and we're not expecting to have to skimp on quality to do it."

Like others before him - and others likely on the way - he sees Apache Boulevard turning into a place where first-time buyers can find housing.

"When you look at all the young couples who want to live in Tempe but just can't afford the rising rates, you're looking at our audience," Powers said. "These are the people who want to be there."
--
Kickass!

Old Posted Apr 20, 2006, 1:47 PM

^ Finally - somebody gets it. Not everyone can afford $400 or $500 per square foot units.

I hope this happens.

--don

Old Posted Apr 20, 2006, 2:26 PM

Thanks for the photo updates loftlovr ...

Old Posted Apr 20, 2006, 10:54 PM
Desert Urbanite

Another Apache Condo Project? Wow. This is what I know about it:

- 18 stories, at 215 feet.

- The site is located just east of Rural and Apache, on the side next to a gas station, which is next to the Taco Bell. As for this project's chance of passing through the planning department; the height will become an issue, because under the CSS (Commercial Shopping and Services) Zoning, and the TOD (Transportation Overlay District) Zoning, which is geared towards light rail and pedestrian-friendly environments, the maxiumum height allowed barely hits 50 feet. Therefore, the project needs to get a variance for a height increase.

Don, it looks like you need to do another update to the list!

-Andrew

Last edited by Azndragon837; Apr 25, 2006 at 9:43 PM.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2006, 10:58 AM
watcher

something i noticed while walking past centerpoint site.
does anyone see any minorities in any of centerpoints advertising?? on their banner hiding the site from view and on their website all i see are white people?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest