HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted May 30, 2006, 12:52 AM

That is one slick/cool looking tower. The pedestal/base is either unfinished, or just horrible. Oh well, at least it is rising.

Old Posted May 30, 2006, 1:52 AM

I really like the top of that tower

Old Posted Jun 1, 2006, 3:46 PM

Monroe is doing a foundation pour with 300 trucks over the weekend June 2 - 4

Old Posted Jun 11, 2006, 10:52 PM

As of Sunday, June 11. The foundation is nearly done so most of the work from here on out will be above street level.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2006, 11:30 PM

great update pic... Gotta love three towers rising at the same time (incl. the cchotel, whenever it starts).

Is it still up in the air which rendering or model of the building we'll actually see built? I'm hoping for this:

Old Posted Jun 12, 2006, 1:52 AM

I agree... that parapet would make it a lot more distinctive and cool.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2006, 3:41 AM
Skyriser

^ It bears a resemblance to the US bank tower, which I always forget isnt a plain white box, but has those corner spikes on the top.

The king and queen of our skyline? I like.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2006, 3:49 AM

I'm guessing DFDCH did that design as a preliminary request from Grace Communities once the Seattle architect dropped out due to illness. That's why it bears so much resemblance to the Tucker Sadler redesign since both were merely tweaking the original proposal. Grace went with Tucker Sadler but DFDCH has this design in their portfolio as an example of their work.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2006, 5:41 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31
great update pic... Gotta love three towers rising at the same time (incl. the cchotel, whenever it starts).

Is it still up in the air which rendering or model of the building we'll actually see built? I'm hoping for this:
this building is obviously much more than 34 stories, incase nobody noticed yet.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2006, 5:57 AM
them bones

Do you guys think the buttresses at the top are spiked or something? Look at the skewed perspective on that rendering. They're flat.

Something else I've noticed about that rendering is that one of the building sides is skewed off of the base. Are they saying that the building is now 5-sided above the base? The model looks square.

The rendering also shows 46 stories.

I could be totally wrong here...can someone else locally in the know tell me?

Old Posted Jun 12, 2006, 1:12 PM
BANNED

After checking into it, it would appear that rendeing is for a condo building in San Diego.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2006, 10:07 PM

I talked to 44 Monroe sales rep Jack Lape this afternoon. We covered a lot of territory, so I'll put the topics in separate categories.

44 Monroe: over 50% of the units are now under contract. The project will be at ground level by the end of July, and will rise a floor each week after that. The cheapest unit is around $520,000. The foot traffic into the sales office has shifted from younger and government workers to those more apt to qualify to buy. There is now more demand for two bedroom units. The architects are still tweaking the final design. They're dissatisfied with the latice work covering part of the parking podium. The rep had no idea about the alternative rendering from DFDCH. I'll email him that image. There are still plans for a 3300 sq ft gourmet grocery on the ground floor.

San Carlos Hotel: the Melikians have been trying to sell the hotel for a couple of years now. The high-rise proposal is an effort to sweeten the pot, as it were. Parking is their main problem. They contracted space at Van Buren and Central where Central Park East is going. Since ASU has that property, they've lost that space. They apparently considered going condo. Their water park concept would be for adults only.

W Hotel: they call 44 Monroe on a regular basis to see what the sales progress is like. Apparently they're gauging the market before proceeding.

Professional Building/Sliver Building: construction is slated to begin this fall turning the Professional Building into a boutique hotel. There will be units for sale too as hotel condos. The Sliver Building would be condos. It could be anywhere from 23 to 40 floors (depending on demand, apparently).

Old Posted Jun 15, 2006, 10:29 PM

Great work as always, Soleri! So the end of July is the time we've all been waiting for. If its really going to rise one floor per week, I guess we will see our new addition to the skyline in September!

I know many of you are upset by the high prices, but in all honesty they NEED people with money living downtown, because those are the people who make things happen. However, I am keeping my fingers crossed that affordable development will come.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2006, 11:40 PM

Yeah, great work Soleri. Man, it sounds like if there was slightly more demand we'd see some serious stuff on our skyline in a short amount of time. Where are those investors when you need them????????

Old Posted Jun 15, 2006, 11:41 PM

Thanks for the updates. 50% contracted sounds good to me (but what do I know?). And, if I had a few spare millions I'd pay for the W myself (I really want that thing built but I'm losing hope). Still, some progress, which is great.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2006, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31
Yeah, great work Soleri. Man, it sounds like if there was slightly more demand we'd see some serious stuff on our skyline in a short amount of time. Where are those investors when you need them????????
Um, Utah from what I've been reading in the L.A. Times.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2006, 12:29 AM

Why is the W Hotel basing it on 44 Monroe's sales? Isnt it a Hotel? Or is it condo also....

Old Posted Jun 16, 2006, 12:39 AM
Skyriser

Thank you for the updates soleri.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soleri
44 Monroe: over 50% of the units are now under contract. The project will be at ground level by the end of July, and will rise a floor each week after that. The cheapest unit is around $520,000. The foot traffic into the sales office has shifted from younger and government workers to those more apt to qualify to buy. There is now more demand for two bedroom units. The architects are still tweaking the final design. They're dissatisfied with the latice work covering part of the parking podium. The rep had no idea about the alternative rendering from DFDCH. I'll email him that image. There are still plans for a 3300 sq ft gourmet grocery on the ground floor.
Of course there's more demand now for two bedroom units. Multibedroom units have been missing almost entirely in the bigger picture--right now developers have been counting on two distinct groups of people: Wealthy couples at either the start of life or the end of life.

To have a family in one of these towers, say, Esplanade, you have to buy near the top--the only 3+ bedrooms range in the millions. Who buys these things?

Some of these condominium projects seem more like overglorifed bachelor castles than anything that can make a dent in the larger housing market. Would wealthy young couples have fewer qualms about plunking down hundreds of thousands for one of these units if they could actually grow into them? Why does a 4 bedroom on a lower floor just not exist?

Quote:
San Carlos Hotel: the Melikians have been trying to sell the hotel for a couple of years now. The high-rise proposal is an effort to sweeten the pot, as it were. Parking is their main problem. They contracted space at Van Buren and Central where Central Park East is going. Since ASU has that property, they've lost that space. They apparently considered going condo. Their water park concept would be for adults only.
An adults only water park? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the whole thing? But the parking thing aggrivates me to no end: we have mostly empty edifices like the Garage Mahal, sometimes at great cost to the public, yet parking is still a problem for both old and new developments. If Phoenix consolidated all the spaces available as part of a public/private corporation augmented with an improved circulator/valet system, the parking problem would be solved downtown and towers would go up quicker. Simple as that.

It would make sense that the San Carlos was trying to drum up interest--right now it's just hopes, dreams, and a rendering. I can't wait till when we get out of the idealism phase and into reality--where projects like this don't make big news until plans are actually filed or approved. Either way it's good stuff all around.

Quote:
W Hotel: they call 44 Monroe on a regular basis to see what the sales progress is like. Apparently they're gauging the market before proceeding.
44 Monroe seems an odd place to check up on to gauge the market. They seem like two different projects--the W caters to wealthy folks just staying for a bit, and it seems no shortage of that here. 44 Monroe, on the other hand, is far more pioneering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soleri
Professional Building/Sliver Building: construction is slated to begin this fall turning the Professional Building into a boutique hotel. There will be units for sale too as hotel condos. The Sliver Building would be condos. It could be anywhere from 23 to 40 floors (depending on demand, apparently).
Anybody know who's behind this project?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Vandercook
After checking into it, it would appear that rendeing is for a condo building in San Diego.
Source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinko
Do you guys think the buttresses at the top are spiked or something? Look at the skewed perspective on that rendering. They're flat.
Despite the skew, the roofline on the tower doesn't match the angle of the buttresses. Architecturally it makes the most sense--why have them at all otherwise? But the rendering is totally whacked--I'd say they cut and pasted a rendering of a parking garage on top of another rendering of a tower without much regard to the perspective. I swear it's like they do this on purpose tho. It certainly keeps us talking about it.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2006, 4:16 AM

^The boutique hotel in the Professional Bldg is being developed by Grace Communities. I met the project manager at the 44 Monroe sales office today. A systematic renovation would certainly put it in a league above the San Carlos, creating even more pressure on the Melikians.

But how does the Professional Bldg solve its parking issues? I forgot to ask....

Old Posted Jun 16, 2006, 4:46 AM

^ Maybe in the base of the Sliver Tower? Are these projects even connected?

--don

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest