HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 11:39 PM

Yes, yes, and yes.

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 11:52 PM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

I'm still super-anxious about what they are going to do on the Woodward Avenue bridge, though. lol

Old Posted May 27, 2017, 12:01 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

wow, some awesome projects. the alhambra in particular.

Old Posted May 27, 2017, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
I'm still super-anxious about what they are going to do on the Woodward Avenue bridge, though. lol
Honestly at this point, there's so many good projects spread out that things might just be better off if they capped 75 from Brush to Grand River. It might be a long-shot but I feel like just having some retail on the Woodward bridge wouldn't do enough justice in connecting downtown, the arena and vicinity, and Midtown.

Old Posted May 27, 2017, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
wow, some awesome projects. the alhambra in particular.
Just to be clear, all but the One Eleven West and the Arena Lofts are renovations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Honestly at this point, there's so many good projects spread out that things might just be better off if they capped 75 from Brush to Grand River. It might be a long-shot but I feel like just having some retail on the Woodward bridge wouldn't do enough justice in connecting downtown, the arena and vicinity, and Midtown.
Oh, it's more an aesthetic improvement then anything. I just want to see them do it as soon as possible so that developers can see that it can be done. It seems people have forgotten about the cap on I-696, and if they haven't they might have in their minds that the only time this can be done in this region is for religious reasons.

But, yeah, Grand River to Brush would be nice. Though I wonder if the authorities involved (and I'm not entirely clear how you'd even go about this) would allow any caps given the 90 degree turn 75 takes just immediately beyond this point. I'm sure there are all kind of technical safety requirements they look at for caps.

Old Posted May 28, 2017, 4:32 PM
somewhere in-between

Detroit's tiny house community north of the Boston Edison neighborhood is open for tours (at $75 per tour ticket, that's too steep for me ,but still neat to see these).

New tiny homes in Detroit open for tours this week
By Dana Afana | MLive
May 24, 2017

Quote:
A series of tours this week will offer a look inside a unique new strip of Detroit homes built for the spatially frugal. Cass Community Social Services created tiny homes north of the Boston Edison neighborhood to provide affordable housing for low- to moderate-income residents. This week, visitors will have the opportunity to see the interiors before residents move in.
Full Article

Image Source: MLive

Old Posted May 29, 2017, 12:45 AM

The problem with this particular showcasing of them is that it appears that they are simply building them on existing lots, which is a complete waste of space. It's like Little House on the Prairie. I want to see the city and its developer do a lot better with its vacant land; either allow for smaller lots or allow attached duplexes that could still be small but fill the lots better than this.

Old Posted May 29, 2017, 12:52 AM
Transport Planner

Quote:
The problem with this particular showcasing of them is that it appears that they are simply building them on existing lots, which is a complete waste of space. It's like Little House on the Prairie. I want to see the city and its developer do a lot better with its vacant land; either allow for smaller lots or allow attached duplexes that could still be small but fill the lots better than this.
Precisely. I wonder how much of the residential zones have large, mandated lot sizes (if there are minimums at all).

Old Posted May 29, 2017, 3:15 AM

I imagine the city must have some kind of lot size min and max, as I imagine most cities do. Studying up on this I've found that the average lot size for single family homes in Detroit is 34x125, similar to Buffalo's 32x175. Not sure where this ranks it. I know a lot of Detroit's suburbs have minimum square footage requirements for dwellings, but I don't believe there is one in the city.

Detroit also has alleys, though. For a place like Detroit with alleys, the best option would be to allow for small units to be built off the alleys where backyards currently are.

Old Posted May 29, 2017, 2:48 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Detroit also has alleys, though. For a place like Detroit with alleys, the best option would be to allow for small units to be built off the alleys where backyards currently are.
It's a compelling idea. For that to happen, I'm guessing that one of two scenarios has to exist:

1. The City must allow secondary structures / dwellings on the one single lot (I don't know if the current zoning allows this), or

2. The City needs to split the lots so that the alley-facing lots are their own separate parcel, with separate utility hookups, access, etc.

Apparently in Kalamazoo, where they just built their first 'city approved' tiny house, the minimum lot size is 5,000 SF, and the minimum dwelling size a mere 125 SF. I have read that the city is making an attempt to revise local zoning to allow for even smaller lots and to be more friendly towards permitting secondary structures on the same lot. I know comparing Kzoo to Detroit is not apples to apples, not by a long shot, but in effect, the end goal is what you are describing - to promote smaller houses while increasing density in core neighborhoods.

Old Posted May 29, 2017, 3:46 PM

The lots in the tiny house area are 30 x 100. Detroit's minimum lot sizes for single family homes are 50 x 100. Also, a single family house can't cover more than 35% of the lot (1,750 sq ft on a minimum lot size).

Detroit does have a tiny house exception (described as "tiny lots" in the zoning ordinances). There's no stated minimum size for such a house or lot size, however, each tiny house requires 350 sq feet of open private space directly adjacent to the dwelling.

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 2:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
The lots in the tiny house area are 30 x 100. Detroit's minimum lot sizes for single family homes are 50 x 100.
Something is wrong here. In the older neighborhoods, I'm pretty sure most single-family homes are on lots with width's in the 30's, even in the newer parts of the city. Unless they've grandfathered them all in, I can't imagine lot width minimums being 50 unless that's something they (relatively) recently changed. Can you link to the city zoning ordinances you're talking about?

Anyway, it sounds like you technically can have multiple dwellings on a single-family home lot, then, right?

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 4:03 AM

Quote:
Something is wrong here. In the older neighborhoods, I'm pretty sure most single-family homes are on lots with width's in the 30's, even in the newer parts of the city. Unless they've grandfathered them all in, I can't imagine lot width minimums being 50 unless that's something they (relatively) recently changed. Can you link to the city zoning ordinances you're talking about?
http://detroitmi.gov/portals/0/docs/...11_%202015.pdf

(zommable map)
http://portal.datadrivendetroit.org/...fd111fa7fe7b_0

The zoning ordinances apply to new construction after 1968 so yea like half the city doesn't even fit into current zoning standards. Most SFH built after 1968 would be infill on a vacant lot.

Quote:
Anyway, it sounds like you technically can have multiple dwellings on a single-family home lot, then, right?
Well...that wouldn't be the accurate way to word it. If a lot has multiple dwellings on it, then it's not a SFH. However, depending on the classification of zoning for that lot, it can have either a SFH, a townhouse, two-family flats, or an apartment building.

Detroit has 6 levels of residential zoning. Single Family homes can be built in all levels except for R6, which of course is high rise development. That's generally only used for areas in and near Downtown, the riverfront, Midtown, and New Center. R1 is simply the opposite where only single family homes are permitted.

The blocks where the tiny homes are being built is zoned as R2 which mostly contains single family and two-family flats. It's purpose zoned to provide slightly more density than typical R1 neighborhoods but still provide adequate development for home ownership and family living.

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 4:41 AM

So many additional questions/observations...

- So there is nothing in the zoning that would allow two detached units on one single family lot, then. In that case, you get the kind of development above, which are tiny homes on regular sized lots, so the advantage isn't increase in density, rather cheaper housing. Again, even with land as little valued as it is in Detroit right now that seems a future waste of land. My philosophy on tiny homes in the city - and I bet I'm not alone in this - is that tiny homes should be a way of pushing density in places it wasn't allowed, with the positive consequence being that it allows home ownership (and/or people who simply want smaller homes) to a greater part of the population because it's cheaper. It shouldn't just be (or primarily be) because it's cheaper. Only allowing a single tiny home on an existing lot doesn't fit with that.

- So then essentiall the minimum lot size requirement would only apply to replattings like, say, Gardenview, Cornerstone, Woodbridge, etc...But, are those lot sizes really 50-feet in width? I guessed I've never thought about it, but maybe they are. I wonder why they changed it? Probably had to do with competing with the suburbs as they figured people/developed weren't build on 30-foot lots, anymore, but in hindsight it really looks kind of foolish.

EDIT: Looking at the single-family home blocks in Woodbridge Estates, I guess it does confirm to the wider lot requirement. I'm looking at a block where they only fit 4 houses where on the same street a block or two down they used to fit seven. Jeeze. What it seems is that the allowance for a driveway is what's different since they don't have alleys. Makes me wonder what the lot sizes are in Northwest Detroit? Many of those neighborhoods don't have alleys and driveways instead, but the lots don't seem as wide as 50 feet to me, but very well could be. Or, the homes might just be smaller.

BTW, where specifically does it speak on the minimum lot requirement?

Last edited by LMich; May 30, 2017 at 5:07 AM.

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 10:23 AM

Intensity and dimensional standards, page 505 or thereabouts.

I think most of the city was completely platted out by 1960 if not a little earlier. But yea most of the lots in the northwest part of town are around 40 or 45 ft wide, but are 120-130 feet deep. So you get houses that are closer together but longer backyards. The extra depth is probably for detached garages and driveways to compensate for the lack of alleyways.

Of course, by mid century, attached garages started to become more commonplace which made such long lots unnecessary.

Old Posted May 31, 2017, 5:43 PM

Quote:
The Hamilton, formerly the Milner Arms Apartments, to be rehabbed
Curbed Detroit
BY ROBIN RUNYAN
MAY 24, 2017

Affordable housing will stay for current residents at 40 Davenport in Midtown. The building, formerly known as the Milner Arms Apartments, has been renamed The Hamilton, and will undergo a $12 million rehab.

The 93-unit building, opened in 1913 as the Hotel Stevenson, was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1997. Renovations will include extensive HVAC and electrical systems updates.

Broder & Sachse Real Estate worked with the City of Detroit’s Department of Housing and Revitalization, as well as Midtown Detroit Inc.’s Stay Detroit Program, in order to relocate the current residents temporarily while the rehab takes place. According to a statement, “Broder & Sachse will assist with the process of finding interim accommodations and will support qualified residents with financial assistance for incurred expenses, including moving fees, security deposits and any differences in rental fees during renovation of 40 Davenport. Residents who make less than $40,000 will qualify for the program. Current residents making $40,000 and above will have first rights to new apartments.”
https://detroit.curbed.com/2017/5/24...hamilton-rehab

Old Posted Jun 1, 2017, 4:52 AM

Developers are moving into Milwaukee Junction just east of New Center:

Quote:

Clarence Tabb, Jr. | The Detroit News

Detroit’s Milwaukee Junction draws investors

By Louis Aguilar | The Detroit News

May 31, 2017

The developers behind major projects in Detroit’s New Center are now venturing into the nearby Milwuakee Junction neighborhood with the purchase of two large buildings, including one adorned by a nine-story mural that appeared to be at risk of being altered or destroyed.

The development group, Detroit-based The Platform, said it was under contract to buy the building at 2937 E. Grand Blvd., commonly known for the “Illuminated Mural,” a 100 foot-by-125 foot painting on one side of the structure. The developers have agreed, in writing, not to change the rainbow-colored mural.
Platform has also purchased this old building on Piquette:

Clarence Tabb, Jr. | The Detroit News

Old Posted Jun 1, 2017, 11:17 PM

Good News

Bedrock to begin Hudson's site work in December from Crains

Quote:
Billionaire businessman Dan Gilbert's real estate development company is preparing to break ground in December on a 52-story skyscraper at the site of the former J.L. Hudson's department store in downtown Detroit, Bedrock LLC executives said Wednesday.

Bedrock CEO Jim Ketai and President Dan Mullen said the company is making plans to begin demolishing the existing four-story underground 1,100-space parking garage that was built after the old Hudson's building was imploded in 1998.

Demolition work will begin in December to clear the site along Woodward Avenue and begin drilling steel caissons 110-feet underground to build the footings to support a 734-foot tower, Mullen said.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2017, 12:58 AM

Why not start demolition right now? Why wait.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2017, 2:37 AM

I think this is moving way faster, now that it's been revealed, than most of us would have even imagined. A December start is better than I expected, so I'm not complaining.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations