HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Dec 28, 2006, 8:10 PM
Apathetic...and Loving It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedaded View Post
How exactly would they go about doing this seeing as they're on top of current retail? Also, I don't understand why everyone's so hard on ATLofts. What would have been a better use of the space? Having just one or two-story retail would have turned AS into an urban 'Avenue' (the Cousins mall projects in the suburbs). The lofts on top of the retail actually make it feel like a city.
People are just pissed that ATLofts took so damn long to be finished. Personally, if I had the means, I'd buy a condo at Twelve.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2006, 9:17 PM

What's going on with ATLofts? There are rumors flying everywhere. One that I heard but have a hard time believing is that they cancelled a bunch of contracts in some of the buildings that still haven't delivered (so the contracts are technically null and void). Reason being they want to go back out and sell them at a higher price point. Surely that can't be true.?

Old Posted Dec 28, 2006, 9:58 PM

See this is why I have the problem with 'rumors' like noncompete clauses for the retail. Now 'rumors' about ATLofts. Once they start on here they become 'fact' on the street with no substantiation to them. That's ridiculous and shouldn't be a purpose of these forums IMO.

Last we heard on the board from an actual resident was that they were delayed 4 months on closing but they had moved in and were quite happy with the construction if my memory serves me accurately. So for the time being I'm letting that dictate my thoughts and any 'rumors' I tell others.

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Old Posted Dec 29, 2006, 12:12 AM
Peace and Pizza

Rumor has it that Atlriser is going to go medieval on the next person spreading rumors.

OOPS!

Some rumors do get crazy, like the one earlier in the year that because 191 was nearly empty that it was going to be torn down. It made absolutely no sense. However, there are some people in here that do have inside information that they leak out in a form that can only be called a rumor since they can't give proof, but that doesn't make it any less true.

The ATLoft rumor belongs in the same category as the 191 rumors but many other rumors people have mentioned here have indeed proven to be true. I'd say the majority of new developments over the past few years have been reported here before they made it in the newspaper.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2006, 12:50 AM

Quote:
How exactly would they go about doing this seeing as they're on top of current retail? Also, I don't understand why everyone's so hard on ATLofts. What would have been a better use of the space? Having just one or two-story retail would have turned AS into an urban 'Avenue' (the Cousins mall projects in the suburbs). The lofts on top of the retail actually make it feel like a city.
How many people can actually live in those units? There are 303 total. Let's go overboard and say that there are 3 people per unit. 1000 people in the core of AS sounds like about 1/10th of what should be there to support all the retail. When completed there will be, roughly, that amount in the entire AS district. I agree there couldn't have been a better use above the retail, but the quality and density of what's above should have been higher.

As for rumors, the rumor you heard about the quality of construction is just as valid as the one I had. If anything, this board can serve as a place to dispel them rather than perpetuate them.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2006, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
How many people can actually live in those units? There are 303 total. Let's go overboard and say that there are 3 people per unit. 1000 people in the core of AS sounds like about 1/10th of what should be there to support all the retail. When completed there will be, roughly, that amount in the entire AS district. I agree there couldn't have been a better use above the retail, but the quality and density of what's above should have been higher.
Above shop housing never is enough to support retail. A study by Seth Harry & Associates (a planning and market research firm out of DC) found that it takes about 75 floors of housing above street level retail to support said retail (assuming no other market). You put housing above stores to make a place feel lived in.

"Atlanta - it's getting there."

Old Posted Dec 29, 2006, 1:52 PM
Redi-Floors, Inc.

Quote:
It's true that there is not an overwhelming amount of residences in the District, but let's not forget that there are multiple residential buildings in the Commons and Village (6 to be exact) in addition to the Beazer townhomes/connected homes. There may never be enough people for AS to become completely self-sufficient, but I don't think that was ever the goal. It was supposed to be a destination for everyone in the city (and, it would appear, the suburbs), and I think it has done a great job in achieving that goal.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2006, 2:30 PM

AubieTurtle, I agree about people on here release information before announcements. I myself have put info out when I've received plans, notices, RFQ's and so forth about developments that come across my desk but that is not a rumor.....that's backed up by paper and actual information. Just my thoughts....medieval.....interesting choice of a word....do I know you?

Were you at Medieval Times a few weeks ago......anyway....?

Happy New Year Atlanta! Hope the beginning of a new year will bring many new developments and well planned growth for the metro area so I can keep my job and pay my mortgage into 2008.....<G>.

No seriously, Happy New Year AS & Atlanta!

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Old Posted Dec 29, 2006, 4:01 PM

Quote:
AS needs to demolish ATL lofts.
AS needs to demolish AS.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2006, 4:04 PM

Geez Thrash, what's with the anti-AS sentiment?

Old Posted Dec 29, 2006, 4:35 PM
Peace and Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlriser View Post
Were you at Medieval Times a few weeks ago......anyway....?
It was a pop culture reference to the movie Pulp Fiction. As far as Medieval Times goes, it looks like something that would be fun to do once but since it is OTP, it might as well be in Las Vegas or Walla Walla.

I hope 2007 is a great year for everyone. It will be interesting to see what the year holds for the city and be sure to keep an eye out of what happens with the $1,000,000,000,000 in ARM resets. That alone is going to shake thing up.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2006, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMidtowner View Post
Geez Thrash, what's with the anti-AS sentiment?
Thrash is pissed that he couldn't find a parking spot today (that was hell). Ikea was jammed, and Dillard's was not so much (as usual).

Old Posted Dec 30, 2006, 4:12 AM

So I did some digging. It turns out that a number of contract holders can't close due to mold issues as ATLofts. There was apparently some sort of water damage to their homes. Lane's lawyers are sending the letters to those owners. There was a WSB story about it last week. So give it a week or two and the ABC should start running some gossip columns about it. (Have I mentioned what a joke that publication is???).

Old Posted Dec 30, 2006, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobe View Post
So I did some digging. It turns out that a number of contract holders can't close due to mold issues as ATLofts. There was apparently some sort of water damage to their homes. Lane's lawyers are sending the letters to those owners. There was a WSB story about it last week. So give it a week or two and the ABC should start running some gossip columns about it. (Have I mentioned what a joke that publication is???).
I wonder if this is the same water issue that has caused the delay in Wolf Camera opening?

Old Posted Dec 30, 2006, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabino86 View Post
Thrash is pissed that he couldn't find a parking spot today (that was hell). Ikea was jammed, and Dillard's was not so much (as usual).
Never had a problem finding a parking spot in that maze of concrete actually. Finding anything worthwhile to eat or buy is another story.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2006, 2:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrashATL View Post
Never had a problem finding a parking spot in that maze of concrete actually. Finding anything worthwhile to eat or buy is another story.
P1 sucked that day. And as for eating, I am partial to Moe's or Doc Green's (CPK, Atlantic Grill, Fox, and Boneheads are too expensive for lunch on a college student's Dillards-paid budget).

In fact, here are some stores/eateries I'd like to see at AS:

RESTAURANTS: Steak & Shake, Zaxby's, and an authentic Italian pizzeria (such as Capozzi's in my former home of East Cobb (unincorporated Marietta).

STORES: REI, Best Buy or Circuit City, Apple Store, Brookstone, and a Verizon store (put it on the opposite side from Cingular)

Old Posted Dec 31, 2006, 10:28 PM

When I don't walk to A.S., I've taken to parking on the lower deck, directly beneath the escalators at Moe's/Publix. There's rarely a crowd down there and it's easy to get in/out of the deck via 16th Street.

For restaurants, I'd really like to see a Sarku Japan in Atlantic Station. There's one at Lenox Square, but that's becoming too much of a drive for daily lunch.

And I heard from another Wolf Camera, that the problem at A.S. is a "real estate" problem due to water concerns, and that the company is holding out for a different location within the district. My interpretation was -

Wolf Camera: This location sucks due to poor construction, give us a different storefront for cheap, since we've already lost money here.

Atlantic Station: Tough, you signed the lease, you're stuck with it... we might let you move, but not for a discounted rate.

Of course, I could be totally wrong about that.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2007, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoteDote View Post
When I don't walk to A.S., I've taken to parking on the lower deck, directly beneath the escalators at Moe's/Publix. There's rarely a crowd down there and it's easy to get in/out of the deck via 16th Street.

For restaurants, I'd really like to see a Sarku Japan in Atlantic Station. There's one at Lenox Square, but that's becoming too much of a drive for daily lunch.

And I heard from another Wolf Camera, that the problem at A.S. is a "real estate" problem due to water concerns, and that the company is holding out for a different location within the district. My interpretation was -

Wolf Camera: This location sucks due to poor construction, give us a different storefront for cheap, since we've already lost money here.

Atlantic Station: Tough, you signed the lease, you're stuck with it... we might let you move, but not for a discounted rate.

Of course, I could be totally wrong about that.
I knew that shitty construction was gonna come back and bite them in the ass.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2007, 6:38 PM

Quote:
It's true that there is not an overwhelming amount of residences in the District, but let's not forget that there are multiple residential buildings in the Commons and Village (6 to be exact) in addition to the Beazer townhomes/connected homes. There may never be enough people for AS to become completely self-sufficient, but I don't think that was ever the goal. It was supposed to be a destination for everyone in the city (and, it would appear, the suburbs), and I think it has done a great job in achieving that goal.

The 10,000 population number was inclusive of the entire development, that's what I meant by district. I wasn't trying to say that I think, or would want, AS to be self sufficient but rather that increased density would make the business' located there more sustainable. It has done a good job of becoming a destination but not an excellent one. We should all strive to push the envelope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabino86 View Post
In fact, here are some stores/eateries I'd like to see at AS:

RESTAURANTS: Steak & Shake, Zaxby's,
I'd love to see a Zaxby's in town, but they have a requirement to be built on an acre in suburban area's. I'm sure Steak & Shake is similar. I've never seen one without a drive-thru.

http://www.zaxbysfranchising.com/requirements.htm

Old Posted Jan 1, 2007, 8:03 PM

Angry

Quote:
I'd love to see a Zaxby's in town, but they have a requirement to be built on an acre in suburban area's. I'm sure Steak & Shake is similar. I've never seen one without a drive-thru.

http://www.zaxbysfranchising.com/requirements.htm
Excuse me while I go break many fragile things in my vicinity...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta