HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 22, 2017, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brizzy82 View Post
Portage Ave (1960)

source
Great Winnipeg pics! Are most of these buildings still there...?

By the way, I'm nearly certain this pic is not from the 1960s. Mid-1950s at the latest, statistically, from the significant sample of cars visible. The odds of having every single vehicle in the pic being 5+ years old are extraordinarily slim, especially back then as cars were more affordable and people changed them way more often than now.

If I had to bet I would bet this pic was taken in 1953 or 1954.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2017, 9:57 PM

P.S. Not to brag but my auto enthusiast skills have often proven useful over the years for correcting (or, of course, silently validating, in the vast majority of cases) old pictures' datations. For example,
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...&postcount=107

Old Posted Jul 22, 2017, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
The way things were. Bittersweet nostalgia, gratitude for the passing of those days, or what not. Not restricted to skylines.

A little bit of theme music.
Video Link

here is one to get started. Remember Taverns (appropriate given the Mary Hopkins song), that staple of working-class Montreal? No women permitted? Pickled eggs and perhaps, pickled pork tongues?

dcmontreal
Reminds me of the beverage rooms at the Butte and Shaughnessy Hotels near where I grew up. Of course, no one really cared if you were underage then, it was easy to get in if you looked like you close to legal. 25 cents a glass for draft with the ALCB lines, cutoff at midnight when your table would order a hundred...

Old Posted Jul 22, 2017, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post

By the way, I'm nearly certain this pic is not from the 1960s. Mid-1950s at the latest, statistically, from the significant sample of cars visible. The odds of having every single vehicle in the pic being 5+ years old are extraordinarily slim, especially back then as cars were more affordable and people changed them way more often than now.

You're probably correct re: the dates. As far as the picture goes, some of the buildings are still there.

you can see the facade of that one building (bad with names) that was incorporated into the newer ALT Hotel

Old Posted Jul 22, 2017, 10:33 PM

Wow, that's sad I'm hoping the other streets in your bunch of '50s / '60s pics fared better than that. So bland, almost nothing old left. And that Dollarama is the icing on the cake...

Old Posted Jul 22, 2017, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
^ Would love a beer with each haircut. I'm not sure it's legal though.
Hair salons in Ontario can get liquor licences. A salon in Timmins now serves beer and wine: https://www.timminstoday.com/local-n...nd-wine-576531

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 12:41 AM

Quote:

Winnipeg's streetcar service ended in 1955, so chances are that you're either right on the money or very close.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 2:43 AM

Quote:
And, you shouldn't have this thread without understanding this song's significance.

Video Link

This TV series is very much the way things were, but would never be able to exist today. Those from today's generation may never understand it. Have we really come a long way, baby?
Here's a better version. One that's probably more significant to most of us on here.

Video Link

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 3:33 AM

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 3:52 AM

I miss flying with civility.

Flying use to be sooooo nice. It was something you looked forward to. No paying for basic baggage, a meal even on the shortest of trips as opposed to today where a micro bag of pretzels is considered an extravagence, actually having a pillow provided for the trip, and most of all none of these endless security checks.

For domestic flights you just got your ticket and walked on the plane arriving just 30 minutes before take-off and not 2 hours like crossing into the US was nothing more than a stop sign. Today even a short flight is one check-up line after another. A few years ago my 83 year old mom had to get out of her wheelchair, and get rid of all her personals to clear security for her trip from the terrorist hotbeds of Abbotsford & London Ontario.

You use to feel pampered when flying but it has become an excruciatingly painful experience.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 4:00 AM
BANNED

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 4:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post

Flying use to be sooooo nice. It was something you looked forward to. No paying for basic baggage, a meal even on the shortest of trips as opposed to today where a micro bag of pretzels is considered an extravagence, actually having a pillow provided for the trip, and most of all none of these endless security checks.

For domestic flights you just got your ticket and walked on the plane arriving just 30 minutes before take-off and not 2 hours like crossing into the US was nothing more than a stop sign. Today even a short flight is one check-up line after another. A few years ago my 83 year old mom had to get out of her wheelchair, and get rid of all her personals to clear security for her trip from the terrorist hotbeds of Abbotsford & London Ontario.

You use to feel pampered when flying but it has become an excruciatingly painful experience.
It may have been more civil, but you paid for it! I remember my first flight to Europe was about $800 in 1980. That was for a return ticket from Winnipeg to Amsterdam. I don't even want tp think how much that would be in 2017 dollars. Stayed for 6 months to make it worthwhile! Also flew with KLM on a 747. As far as security, it's a different world now.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 5:52 AM
Majestic

I largely grew up in the nineties and the early oughts. In suburban Edmonton/Calgary. Nothing to really feel nostalgic about... in fact most things have improved.

Flickr

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 10:02 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

A personal one I miss... Zone 216, the city's longest-running gay bar. I first went on my 16th birthday (shhh...).

It was infamously unsafe (the bathrooms were below the dance floor and the ceiling would shake and drop dust constantly from all the footsteps above) but it had such a wonderful sense of community.

The entrance was on Water Street, and you had to go up two flights of stairs to where the coat check and bathrooms were. The coat check was staffed by a straight woman who looked like Mimi from the Drew Carey Show. There were a couple of couches here where the drag queens and jilted lovers would wait to shout to people coming in.

Up two more flights of stairs and you'd come inside with the dance floor/DJ booth to your right and seating areas and the bar to the left. At the edge of the dance floor were huge windows overlooking Water Street. And behind the bar was a separate room with couches and (that far up the hill) a ground-level exit into an alley. The alley went right to McMurdo's Lane stairs, or curved to the left up to an after-hours cocktail louge with leopard-print couches set into the walls. That back exit was guarded by a very overweight, cheerful guy who would give you a little grope as you went past but somehow there was nothing uncomfortable about it. I used to wear black leather pants and a burgundy crop top Jeez.

It had the same bartenders forever - hot twinky guy and a milfy lesbian. Oksana and Misha, two ripped Russian stowaways who somehow stayed here for years, would always be dancing half naked in tacky self-made rags. It was this interesting not-fully-globalized period in Newfoundland where you could instantly tell visually who was home from living away, who was from the city, and who was in town from out around the bay. Although there were cliques (twinks, leather daddies, lesbians, etc.) we all shared the same space. Somehow the DJ always managed to get a couple of songs per year many, many months before they spread elsewhere in North America.

At 3 a.m. when the straight bars were closed, the place would get packed to the rafters with excited straight girls and (back then) hilariously uncomfortable straight guys. The drag queens would actively get visiting sailors in - a lovely tribute to the gay-friendly bar here in the 60s, where the Portuguese fishermen would go if they struck out with the ladies, I guess.

There was just something special about it in its day. I always left in a wonderful mood - and people usually shared cabs with folks they only met for that purpose, often arranged by the drag queens. It felt like people looked out for each other somehow.

Oh, the 90s...

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:

Maybe dumps make people drink more? BTW, I think it used to be called Rob Roy's at that location.

And right on cue ...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitche...quor-1.4216804

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post

I remember my mother taking a trip to Hawaii back in the mid-70s (Wardair?). She not only bought a new dress for the flight, she was wearing white gloves at the airport! Admittedly, that was a tad over the top for the times, but flying was still a big deal for many. Today, my only defence is to fly business class only.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 12:45 PM
Back from the dead

Quote:

You're absolutely right because the last street car operating in Winnipeg was in '55.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 3:44 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
It's been legal in Vancouver (BC) since January of this year. Since I haven't seen this inside of a barbershop in over 15 years, I can't say if any of them have a license or not.

That said, I'm not sure I would be crazy drinking in a place where there is a high likelihood of matter ending up in my beer.

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 2:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Winnipeg's streetcar service ended in 1955, so chances are that you're either right on the money or very close.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
You're absolutely right because the last street car operating in Winnipeg was in '55.

I had no idea, but that fact means whoever labeled that picture is even more incompetent than I thought.

Anyone who is in the business of dating old Winnipeg pictures shouldn't have missed such a dead giveaway as that.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 7:20 AM
Rational urbanist

This might not fit with the spirit of the thread, but I miss the time before I was 19. I know that'll sound ridiculous to those of you who know how old I am, but still.

That was when summers were summers and I didn't have to work over 60 hours a week in them. Passing a 40 around in the park by school, or pouring vodka into slurpees and just wander around town. Didn't matter what day or what time, you didn't have a single planned activity for days after that. Bars weren't an option so house parties were way more common and meeting people was way easier. You could spend an entire day smoking pot at Garry Point Park, and do the same the next. Go play tennis, or sit at home all day on SSP, or walk 30 minutes to Safeway just to get a bag of chips. Really it was just the sheer amount of time you had that there was no sense of being rushed to enjoy it, the same way you feel like you have to go outside when it's sunny. I don't even miss my high school years at all, but looking back with rose-coloured glasses, parts of them were pretty cool.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada