HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 11:17 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
And before anyone trots out the factoid about how America is over-retailed... that's largely a suburban problem. I've seen no evidence that Chicago or other core-city markets have too much retail space, especially on the big-box end. If anything, city neighborhoods are under-served by chains. Inner-ring neighborhoods swamp the stores along Elston, Clybourn, and Roosevelt on weekends, but outer neighborhoods go to Oak Lawn, North Riverside or Lincolnwood because those options mostly don't exist in the city. We haven't really seen a ton of store closures in the city either, at least not closures due to over-expansion and weak demand.
I agree that most recent closures have been due to chains having trouble overall, not specifically with Chicago necessarily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
A nicely designed shopping district is an experience that one cannot replicate whilst sitting in their pajamas passing gas on their couch browsing a laptop.
I completely agree, especially for things like clothes. Even with generous mail-order return policies, I much prefer shopping for anything like clothes or food in person. The idea of waiting for clothes to be delivered and then trying it on and then mailing it back if I don't like the fit or the way it looks on me just seems really tedious and inconvenient compared to going and trying it on or inspecting it in person and knowing right away if it fits and/or I like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpIllInoIs View Post
The last thing we need is another "shopping district" especially in that area. First any out of town shoppers are heading to Mich Ave and State St. And west/south loopers have big box hell Roosevelt. Anything that diverts shoppers off of Mich Ave and State Street is not a benefit. ...
I strongly disagree. A huge part of the advantage of living in a dense city is convenience and the ability to get things without a car in a reasonable amount of time. To make that work, every dense neighborhood should have its own retail district or even multiple districts if it's a geographically large neighborhood like Lakeview, which does have multiple retail corridors.. It's nice to have access to Michigan Avenue and State Street, but it's hardly convenient to only use them, even for basic things, especially if you don't commute to the Loop. I love s ten minute walk from North Michigan Avenue, and yet I still like having a few things on Wells Street and in River North instead of having to always go to N.Mich. in fact, with all the new residences and retail space from the recent projects on and near Wells Street I hope that we get more than just convenience stores, pharmacies, banks, and restaurants in the new retail space. It would not only benefit the residents, but the workers in nearby offices.

For example a Banana Republic or Gap or Zara our American Apparel on Wells would be welcome for the convenience of being able to pop in and get basics when needed instead of wading through the tourists on Michigan. One of the nice things about the Belmont and Broadway area is the Gap on Broadway and other shops where you can find either basics or more boutique items. I'd love to see Wells south of Chicago Are develop a retail scene like the ones near Damen/North or Belmont/Broadway or Lincoln Square or Clark/Diversey or Logan Square. It's great that River North has easy access to Michigan Avenue, but it would still be even better if it had, in addition to that, a smaller-scaled neighborhood shopping corridor with a basic clothing store and maybe a shoe store and bookstore and some specially shops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWillChicago View Post
It's starting to fill in the Ryan canyon nicely, but why aren't developers interested in the land on the east side of the expressway? They could start up a whole new shopping district that would be closer to the loop, trains and restraunts. Kind of like a replica greek town on Halsted but closer to peoples work buildings. Office depot and parking around presidential towers would be a good start.
It's the Kennedy West of the Loop - the Ryan is south of the Circle Interchange.

If the City would find a way to construct the Clinton Subway or especially the once proposed West Loop Transportation thing, that would happen organically on Clinton. Even without that, both Clinton and Canal are seeing more retail than was there even just as decade ago.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 7:36 PM

Damen and North makes me want to jump in the river

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 8:25 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by maru2501 View Post
Damen and North makes me want to jump in the river
Why? And how - it's nowhere near the River?

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 4:10 AM

11/19/17

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 10:57 PM

This is going to be such a nice addition to the area, and it's not a box!!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 11:00 PM

Can we get some glass already. And im not talking color samples. Giddy up.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 4:04 PM

Are the first 5 floors of the tower tied into the podium as parking?

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsrand View Post
Are the first 5 floors of the tower tied into the podium as parking?
Looks like that is the case.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 12:53 AM

Bvic those are some superior shots.

Nov 22

With Nobu Hotel crane on the right and 800 W Washington on the left

with 625 W Adams in the back

Nov 24

Old Posted Dec 2, 2017, 6:26 PM
THAT Guy

Old Posted Dec 3, 2017, 4:45 AM

now just tear down the crown and new tower rebuild closer to the corner...then just go ahead and put a sweet tower on top of that walgreens and we are all good!

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 12:47 AM

I saw on Friday (12/1) that they had started to put glass up on this one. A couple of panes were up on the Madison (north) side on the curved portion.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 12:51 AM

Actually I guess my news about the glass isn't new. In BVic's post you can see the glass was there by Nov. 19th.
[QUOTE=BVictor1;7992928]11/19/17

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 8:57 AM

Those are still glass samples i believe?

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 8:17 AM

12/09/17

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 3:30 PM
Windy City Dan

1S Halsted actually feels taller in person. Looks like the core is about halfway up, I'm surprised we haven't seen glass going up in earnest at this point. They should rename the building to One South Snail's Pace.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 3:37 PM

It's only 10 months since they started caissons, not that bad a timeline. I hope the glass looks as good as the rendition. If so it will be a stunner.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1 Tommy View Post
It's only 10 months since they started caissons, not that bad a timeline. I hope the glass looks as good as the rendition. If so it will be a stunner.
Eh, this project has been proposed since Jan 2011. I thought this project was dead until construction started earlier this year.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
Eh, this project has been proposed since Jan 2011. I thought this project was dead until construction started earlier this year.
Well that is very true. Waited for a long time to get it started. I think it will be worth the wait if the glass is done right. They do need to repaint the bridge trim on the Dan Ryan really bad.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 4:17 PM

I forget. is there some retail in the base along Halsted?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction