HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 9:01 PM
Show me the blueprints

The impression the IOS will make will change all that.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Mar 16, 2024, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWAK View Post
The proposition limiting how funds can be raised was incredibly dumb (they had to since CA was even more anti-tax back then), but going along 99 instead of another route is great because it serves a lot of people (6 million +) along the route. Ridership will be a lot higher if it goes along populated corridors and I can't really speak on the So Cal route since I know more about the project for nor cal.

My county doesn't even have a regular rail line but I still like the project, because trains are cool and that means no spending limits!
Yeah, the route along 99 does hit the Central Valley population centers, which is a good thing. The downside is that that route is less direct than a route along I-5 would have been. That means more track mileage. To make up the extra miles, Ca HSR has to support higher operating speeds to meet the end to end trip requirement of 2:40. So that means more tunnelling, longer viaducts, even less tolerance for curves. Plus the Highway 99 route often runs along the existing BNSF mainline, which has added construction costs for things like long cantilevers to get HSR from one side of the freight tracks over to the other. The lengthy deviation through the Antelope Valley, however, is even worse. The AV only has about a quarter million people. That deviation was due to a political deal between an LA County Supervisor and a member of the Ca HSR Authority.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2024, 12:31 AM
Show me the blueprints

The San Andreas fault also had a lot to do with it.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Mar 16, 2024, 2:46 AM
Birds Aren't Real!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
The station is going to be 5-6 miles south of downtown. That means it isn't serving the public purpose that CAHSR is, which is spending a ton of money building its stations in not just the downtowns of its major cities but also its minor ones. CAHSR will interchange directly with local public transportation in many places.
Have you ever been to Las Vegas?

Downtown has but a fraction of the attractions and hotel rooms located on the Strip. Also, downtown attracts the less affluent--which matters in this discussion because Brighline tickets will be quite expensive relative to driving the family to and from town.

No, the Strip will be the primary destination of the overwhelming majority of Brightline riders. That is where all of the splashy megaprojects are located. So how would Brightline or its riders be better served bypassing the Strip entirely, only to force travelers to somehow backtrack several miles from downtown?

The planned Brightline terminal is less than a mile from the South Strip Transit Terminal, a major 24-hour transit hub just south of the airport. It would be easy for RTC to connect the Brightline station with the SSTT.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2024, 3:07 AM
Resu Deretsiger

Downtown Paradise? Vegas proper really got the shaft.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2024, 5:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromSD View Post
T Plus the Highway 99 route often runs along the existing BNSF mainline, which has added construction costs for things like long cantilevers to get HSR from one side of the freight tracks over to the other.
The pergolas are an irrelevant expense as compared to the cosmic expense of the long tunnels.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation