HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Dec 14, 2023, 3:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
If they are planning full grade separation. That isn’t obvious from the documents they have posted so far.
Grade separation is more important where population density and traffic is higher. In more remote areas, some grade crossings can simply be closed and traffic rerouted.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2023, 6:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
Grade separation is more important where population density and traffic is higher. In more remote areas, some grade crossings can simply be closed and traffic rerouted.
Exactly! Two of the key factors in Canada’s new Grade separation assessment guidelines are traffic volume (both directly and as a “Cross product” with train traffic) as well as “Queuing.” Both of these are much more likely to be an issue in an urban area than on a rural road in the middle of nowhere.

Regardless of the guidelines, I can’t imagine at a location where the CPKC track is grade separated, VIA being allowed to construct a parallel track, on the same ROW without grade separation.

Also as a combination of the two, if the guidelines say that an at grade crossing should now be grade separated, VIA would likely need to pay to not only grade separate their new track, but CPKC’s existing track, potentially with design considerations for future doubling of CPKC’s track. It should be obvious that a wider grade separation for additional tracks would further increase costs (not to mention the cost of potentially having to change the elevation of an active rail line).

Old Posted Dec 14, 2023, 11:07 AM

^ Aside from the above, at least one of the bidders is proposing a substantially high speed development. This means a substantial portion of the corridor, where they intend to operate above 125 mph / 201 kph has to be fully grade separated. This would be impossibly expensive if they are forced to grade separate another set of freight tracks at the same time.

Even using Siemens Venture trains to run at close to 200 kph requires a lot more grade separation than exists on the Lakeshore corridor now. There's no way regulators would allow those speeds without more grade separation. Though it's probably not as much as the full separation HSR requires.

Using parts of Havelock with some new portions does make the most sense. Less grade separation. Shorter distance between Ottawa and Toronto and shorter total distance for Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal. Easier geometry from curve radii to superelevation.

There's also the issue of electrification which is a whole other ball of wax, with the freight railways substantially opposed to using catenary and insisting that nothing be installed overhead.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2023, 2:03 PM

Was speaking to a few Chinese friends the other day. I was telling them how well China does at building high speed rail..

They told me something that I shouldn’t be surprised about but I was,

Most of china’s rail network don’t make a profit, in fact most of the high speed runs lose money.

I recall seeing this mentioned on a YouTube video but cannot find it.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2023, 4:35 PM
Busy Beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVader_1961 View Post
Was speaking to a few Chinese friends the other day. I was telling them how well China does at building high speed rail..

They told me something that I shouldn’t be surprised about but I was,

Most of china’s rail network don’t make a profit, in fact most of the high speed runs lose money.

I recall seeing this mentioned on a YouTube video but cannot find it.
China State Railway Group is more than a trillion dollars (CAD) in debt. They've basically overbuilt just to prop up GDP figures.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Tra...y%20the%20debt.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2024, 3:07 PM

Behind the Scenes at VIA Rail Canada's Montreal Maintenance Centre
Video Link

Also available in the original French language
Dans les coulisses de VIA Rail Canada au Centre de Maintenance de Montréal
Video Link

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation