HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcilreavy View Post
Anything new on why the delay at both the midtown@woodward development and the Ashton. Last report from Crains had the Midtown@woodward securing financing and breaking ground in October. A drive by yesterday confirms absolutely nothing is going on at this site. The Ashton is two years behind and the sign is still up. I'm going to assume that this project is cancelled.
Maybe, maybe not.

The fact is the condo market is still pretty slow. It might even have declined a little bit. There seems to be excess inventory in the market at the moment which means any new project with for-sale units (for which there are quite a few) is probably going to sit for a little bit.

The Ashton seems to have pre-sold a decent amount of units but there's still several listed for sale. However there's also a lot of units for sale at other places nearby; 6 at Riverfront Towers, 4 at Fort Shelby, 2 at Book Cadillac, plus about a dozen units in Corktown and seven units from Dan Gilbert's project in Brush Park. Going further out, there's still even more properties for sale and a lot for some projects that haven't broken ground yet like Cass & York.

Of course, right now it's wintertime which is usually the low point in real estate sales anyway. We won't really know for sure until spring if these properties are going to get bought up and only then can we really say whether the Ashton as well as other projects are pretty much dead.

It is interesting to point out that Dan Gilbert's Monroe Blocks no longer includes a residential tower in Phase 2 as revealed earlier today. Even if the design was being changed for it, omitting it completely usually isn't a good sign.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
It is interesting to point out that Dan Gilbert's Monroe Blocks no longer includes a residential tower in Phase 2 as revealed earlier today. Even if the design was being changed for it, omitting it completely usually isn't a good sign.
Where did you read that the residential tower in phase 2 was cancelled? I can’t remember which article I read it in, but one of the articles put out today about the groundbreaking ceremony mentioned phase 2 was still in the design process. I didn’t hear anything about any parts of phase 2 being cancelled altogether.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcilreavy View Post
Anything new on why the delay at both the midtown@woodward development and the Ashton. Last report from Crains had the Midtown@woodward securing financing and breaking ground in October. A drive by yesterday confirms absolutely nothing is going on at this site. The Ashton is two years behind and the sign is still up. I'm going to assume that this project is cancelled.
Midtown @ Woodward has been in limbo for a long time, don't hold your breath on that one.

The Ashton developers are apparently incompetent so we'll just have to wait and see I guess.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 10:24 PM

Quote:

To be honest, phase two is a long way off and seems really just conceptual right now, in a couple years once phase one is well on its way they'll probably have a more solid plan. I feel like they're still not completely sure what they wanna do with the historical buildings on that block yet since they've delayed demolition.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSky View Post
Where did you read that the residential tower in phase 2 was cancelled? I can’t remember which article I read it in, but one of the articles put out today about the groundbreaking ceremony mentioned phase 2 was still in the design process. I didn’t hear anything about any parts of phase 2 being cancelled altogether.
It's not cancelled but probably significantly downsized or on-hold for an indefinite period. Or they could be changing it altogether and might end up becoming a hotel or another office space component.

Much like with the Hudson's site, it's seems so weird that these design changes come last minute without any explanation as to why. If Phase 2 was always in a "design phase" why include it in the first render? If that's the case, then just show the massing and not a fully fleshed out detailed render.

In any case, it points to the fact that something changed that made it so it couldn't be built as first presented. With it being the residential portion, my assumption is that the macro residential market has signs/is currently slowing down.

This is the original render:

This is the one that came out today:

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
To be honest, phase two is a long way off and seems really just conceptual right now, in a couple years once phase one is well on its way they'll probably have a more solid plan. I feel like they're still not completely sure what they wanna do with the historical buildings on that block yet since they've delayed demolition.
Are you talking about 1000 Farmer and 815 Bates? They were supposed to be demolished back in June and even were close to getting abatement treatment. At this point that's a pretty significant delay. As far as the National Theatre, Bedrock is already pretty set on tearing down the building but preserving the facade.

I did find a Detroit 2017 city document that shows they were planning on starting construction on Phase 1 back at the begin of the 3rd quarter of 2018 (September) and Phase 2 would start a year after that but both phases would have been done by 2022.

I dunno. I just don't get why so much presentation is put into something that might not get built or at least why there isn't more transparency. For as long as Gilbert has had control of these properties, even accounting for red tape, it still seems like everything is done the last minute after all the hype.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 1:57 AM

More new renderings from Monroe Blocks' website.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 1:59 AM

Quote:
Are you talking about 1000 Farmer and 815 Bates? They were supposed to be demolished back in June and even were close to getting abatement treatment. At this point that's a pretty significant delay. As far as the National Theatre, Bedrock is already pretty set on tearing down the building but preserving the facade.

I did find a Detroit 2017 city document that shows they were planning on starting construction on Phase 1 back at the begin of the 3rd quarter of 2018 (September) and Phase 2 would start a year after that but both phases would have been done by 2022.

I dunno. I just don't get why so much presentation is put into something that might not get built or at least why there isn't more transparency. For as long as Gilbert has had control of these properties, even accounting for red tape, it still seems like everything is done the last minute after all the hype.
Consider that the failed jail site is now part of the picture of residential and office even more so with no soccer component so they may be waiting to see where the market takes this. Look at how in just the past two weeks othe development outside of Dan Gilbert has come forward in Lafayette park. Dan Gilbert has time to go back to the drawing board and even have a phase towo groundbreaking ceremony when time the time comes. Today was all about phase one

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 4:48 AM
Paramoderator

Is the smaller grey building not residential? I could see the renderings leaving out the second residential phase to focus on Phase 1. I don't feel that an overall downgrade can be as yet confirmed.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 6:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
Is the smaller grey building not residential? I could see the renderings leaving out the second residential phase to focus on Phase 1. I don't feel that an overall downgrade can be as yet confirmed.
The smaller grey building is residential, yes.

It's worth mentioning that the grey building has been announced more or less officially at 17 floors, however it is only shown at 14 floors in the renderings. I feel like we may still see changes in the designs of the two buildings in phase 1 before completion, let alone phase 2. I believe the renderings that have been released of phase 2 are very conceptual.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 6:03 AM

^ That second rendering is gorgeous.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 9:06 PM

Lots of talk of elimination or downsizing of projects. In light of the new administration whose policies are so similar to those of JG is there fear of another "lost decade" they need to keep in mind?

Old Posted Dec 15, 2018, 2:00 PM

For what it's worth, the residential tower IS rendered in the Monroe Blocks Flythrough video posted on the other thread. When the camera moves from Cadillac Square into the courtyard you can see it in the background. It's around the 0:40 mark.

Last edited by andyguard; Dec 15, 2018 at 2:11 PM.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2018, 6:20 PM

I’ve heard some rumors about the plot on Woodward north of Mack between the Ellington development and the hammer and nail building. If what I’ve heard is true it’s going to be a game changer for midtown. Two 20-30 story towers, tons of retail, underground parking, a new public space, and a luxury hotel taking up one of the towers which will be right on Woodward. Hope to see renderings soon

Old Posted Dec 15, 2018, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroiterforlife View Post
I’ve heard some rumors about the plot on Woodward north of Mack between the Ellington development and the hammer and nail building. If what I’ve heard is true it’s going to be a game changer for midtown. Two 20-30 story towers, tons of retail, underground parking, a new public space, and a luxury hotel taking up one of the towers which will be right on Woodward. Hope to see renderings soon
Is that the plot of land, recently sold to Mohammed Qazi, announced around November 27th and referred to as “more Midtown” on the fence banner? Seems kind of fast to get a ground breaking for 20-30 story buildings in the spring without even a hint to the public up until now. Though I suppose they could keep it secret if no public money was being sought. Nothing surprises me in downtown, midtown, and Corktown portions of Detroit since ford bought the train station. If what your referring to it will be yer another amazing sign of Detroit’s comeback.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2018, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyguard View Post
For what it's worth, the residential tower IS rendered in the Monroe Blocks Flythrough video posted on the other thread. When the camera moves from Cadillac Square into the courtyard you can see it in the background. It's around the 0:40 mark.
The 27 story residential tower was still pictured on the full video presentation of the Monroe blocks groundbreaking. It is worth spending 90 minutes to watch and is available on YouTube.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2018, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitRises View Post
Is that the plot of land, recently sold to Mohammed Qazi, announced around November 27th and referred to as “more Midtown” on the fence banner? Seems kind of fast to get a ground breaking for 20-30 story buildings in the spring without even a hint to the public up until now. Though I suppose they could keep it secret if no public money was being sought. Nothing surprises me in downtown, midtown, and Corktown portions of Detroit since ford bought the train station. If what your referring to it will be yer another amazing sign of Detroit’s comeback.
Correct that’s the one. He spent quite a few million on the lot alone, I would imagine he’s got big plans for it. I agree it’s quite ambitious, Time will tell I guess

Old Posted Dec 16, 2018, 5:43 PM
Registered Ugly

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 1:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
After watching the presentation it does not look like a building was deleted.

They mentioned all Current Bedrock projections to be complete in 2023. Typically how long does it take for the steel and closing up of the building take?...2021?

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 1:19 AM

Some photos from December 14th.

City Modern

Townhomes on John R just north of the Ransom Gillis House

Townhomes on the north side of Alfred

One of the two townhome buildings on the south side of Alfred. This is the one closer to John R.

And this is the one closer to Brush. Carriage homes on the left.

261 Alfred

287 Alfred

295 Alfred

2700 Brush, one of the 6 floor flats buildings, has begun foundation work

440 Alfred

Downtown and elsewhere

St. John's Ministry Center

We haven't seen this in awhile: two large cranes downtown that can be photographed in the same photo

Courtyard along Clifford at City Club Apartments

City Club is up to the fourth floor along Washington

139 Cadillac Square

Tent from the Monroe Blocks groundbreaking ceremony

The curve on the corner of One Campus Martius' addition is going to look really nice

Mootz Pizzeria & Bar, 1230 Library

Element Detroit

Refresh my memory, has there been any announcements about whats going to occupy Element Detroit's storefronts?

Main entrance

Le Labo, 1434 Woodward

New sidewalk along Woodward between John R and Grand River

Parker's Alley behind Shinola Hotel

I'm curious what's going to go in the retail space in the Singer Building. It looks like San Morello is on both sides of it, but does not occupy the Singer space.

Columbia Street

Storefront work along Columbia

Detroit Pistons Performance Center

Last edited by DetroitSky; Dec 17, 2018 at 1:37 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations