HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 8:38 PM
Never Dell

My impression in Seattle is that the NHL will have a strong core fanbase, but not a lot of attention outside that base. Aside from people who've moved from hockey areas, it's not very familiar to most of us.

Also as a mid-sized city, we should be expected to be more blase than a small one about getting a professional team and making the big time and so on.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
My impression in Seattle is that the NHL will have a strong core fanbase, but not a lot of attention outside that base. Aside from people who've moved from hockey areas, it's not very familiar to most of us.

Also as a mid-sized city, we should be expected to be more blase than a small one about getting a professional team and making the big time and so on.
Winning draws a crowd no matter the historical and cultural background of the city.

My hope is that Seattle comes out of the expansion draft strong like Vegas did. Build up a good base in the early years (especially among the younger generation) that persists long into the future. The team will also have the benefit of being the only show in town from January-April.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 9:41 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Seems like a good opportunity for a Vancouver rivalry, anyway.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 10:15 PM
Ya Dig!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
Is it just me or does anyone else find the use of FC in American soccer to be annoying? I get its origins but in America, its usage just seems disingenuous and contrived.
Should have just kept it like the American sports and probably the only thing MLS should have done. I don't care for the "Real", "Sporting", "United" names.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 10:31 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

Just like 90% of the U.S.-based teams in the NHL.

I think that even teams that are currently hot in their markets like Nashville are likely to drop back into a niche spot eventually.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 11:33 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
Seems like a good opportunity for a Vancouver rivalry, anyway.
I still would've rather see it go to Quebec City.

I'm also skeptical at how this forced rivalry will go with Seattle. Vancouverites go to Seattle a lot, but there isn't really any competition or animosity towards each other, at least not from the Vancouver side. I will personally continue to be driven by the never-ending desire to see the Toronto Maple Leafs lose.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 11:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
I'm guessing Phoenix loses the Suns to either Seattle or Las Vegas after 2021-22.

Robert Sarver is a prick.
Woah. That would be a huge loss for the NBA and the basketball town that is Phoenix.

The Suns need a new owner.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 3:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
Woah. That would be a huge loss for the NBA and the basketball town that is Phoenix.

Not going to happen, the Suns just went on a wild media blitz today to backpedal the "leaving" Rumors. Sarver even released a video of him personally assuring that the Suns arent leaving

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 6:17 AM
cities|transit|croissants

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
I still would've rather see it go to Quebec City... I will personally continue to be driven by the never-ending desire to see the Toronto Maple Leafs lose.
Reminds me of my pet theory that the best place for an NHL expansion team is actually Mississauga.

Basically, GTA has twice the population of self-described hockey fans as any other metro area in the US or Canada. You don't want to put another team in Toronto proper because the Leafs, but sticking with the immediate Toronto area gives you closer access to more fans than going somewhere like Hamilton. Mississauga is the next most logical center, and it's desperate for cultural institutions that it can say are on par with Toronto's. It's perfect.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 7:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post

The Phoenix area quite honestly doesn't have the corporate presence to support all the sports teams it has. I agree if one of their teams were to relocate elsewhere, it shouldn't be the Suns with their history. The Coyotes would be the obvious choice.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 7:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamon toast View Post
The Phoenix area quite honestly doesn't have the corporate presence to support all the sports teams it has..
What does this mean at all? A nothing statement. For 20+ years when the city was far smaller and less influential and it was fine for 4 teams but now it lacks the .... "corporate" presence?

This forum is made of mush-brained pseudo intellects I think.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 8:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
What does this mean at all? A nothing statement. For 20+ years when the city was far smaller and less influential and it was fine for 4 teams but now it lacks the .... "corporate" presence?

This forum is made of mush-brained pseudo intellects I think.
Major corporations, their clients, businessmen, high wage earners,you know the people who actually purchase the majority of tickets and suites to attend these events, it's not the average fan. How many of the above does the region really have in contrast to snowbirds and retirees? Phoenix has a big population but when was it ever "influential"? Compared to Tampa maybe but nowhere near a Seattle or Minneapolis which have smaller populations. What major company is based there? If you can tell me great because I can't think of one. The area was fine with just an NFL(arrived in 1988) and NBA team(1967), NFL for the small amount of games a year, and NBA like I said the team's history. An NHL team in Arizona is a joke and an MLB team there was iffy from the start, seeing their attendance struggles since their World Series win in 2001.

Last edited by cinnamon toast; Dec 14, 2018 at 8:37 AM.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Major corporations, their clients, businessmen, high wage earners,you know the people who actually purchase the majority of tickets and suites to attend these events, it's not the average fan. How many of the above does the region really have in contrast to snowbirds and retirees? Phoenix has a big population but when was it ever "influential"? Compared to Tampa maybe but nowhere near a Seattle or Minneapolis which have smaller populations. What major company is based there? If you can tell me great because I can't think of one. The area was fine with just an NFL(arrived in 1988) and NBA team(1967), NFL for the small amount of games a year, and NBA like I said the team's history. An NHL team in Arizona is a joke and an MLB team there was iffy from the start, seeing their attendance struggles since their World Series win in 2001.
“Phoenix-Mesa-Glendale Arizona metro area was $61,506 in 2017, the latest figures available. Phoenix median household income is $4,925 higher than the median Arizona household income and $1,170 greater than the US median household income.” Have you heard of paradise valley and Scottsdale ? The average income is 80k for 300,000+ people

Now let us compare the data is a bit off becuase from different years:

“Household incomes in Minneapolis and St. Paul average $46,000, while household incomes metrowide exceed $65,000.”

“The Median household income of a Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue Metro Area resident is $68,969 a year. The US average is $53,482 a year.”

“Households in Atlanta, GA have a median annual income of $53,843, which is less than the median annual income in the United States. Look at the chart to see how the median household income in Atlanta, GA compares to that in it's parent locations.”

And where they’d “move too”

“The Census ACS 1-year survey reports that the median household income for the Las Vegas-Paradise Nevada metro area was $57,189 in 2017, the latest figures available. Las Vegas median household income is $814 lower than the median Nevada household income and $3,147 less than the US median household income.”

And we have more people besides Atlanta

Then answer to your question is more than enough, nobody is threatening to “leave “ over attendance they want the city to shell out money for a stadium, there has been no complaints that they can’t get enough fans. Other then the coyotes but they did fine until moving out to a working class suburb 40 minutes from downtown.

As usual, full of assumptions based on an inaccurate stereotype

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 2:46 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by this "And we have more people besides Atlanta" but if you're implying that Phoenix has more people than Atlanta (metro) than you are way, way off as Metro Atlanta has over one million more people than Metro Phoenix.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by this "And we have more people besides Atlanta" but if you're implying that Phoenix has more people than Atlanta (metro) than you are way, way off as Metro Atlanta has over one million more people than Metro Phoenix.
How did you interpret the opposite of what was written ? We have more people (of afformentiined cities) besides Atlanta

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 4:17 PM
Never Dell

Phoenix clearly underperforms on the corporate side, and that's clearly a headwind for any pro team.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Phoenix clearly underperforms on the corporate side, and that's clearly a headwind for any pro team.
WHich is why its had all 4 major teams for 20 years + One of the larger NASCAR race tracks + A major College football team and soon to have a secondary football team and MLS expansion.

It just cant handle all of those epxpensive sports games like OKC and Charlotte can.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
Is it just me or does anyone else find the use of FC in American soccer to be annoying? I get its origins but in America, its usage just seems disingenuous and contrived.
Yes, stick with American-style names. Names like the New England Revolution, Philadelphia Union, and Chicago Fire are nice soccer-style names that are still American. TexasBoi is right: the Real Salt Lake, Sporting Kansas City, Orlando City, and multiple United teams are too much, and too fake to me.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 5:34 PM

Quote:
To answer your questions, Arizona is pretty much bang on average with respect to its percentage of senior citizens. The Phoenix area maybe under-performs a little with respect to large corporate headquarters, but I wouldn't say overly so. It's the 14th most populous state. It has 17 Fortune 1000 companies (several of those only recently making the list), which I think is about in line with the state population. Several of those are electronics manufacturers or related (ON Semiconductor, Avnet, Microchip Technology, Inc., Benchmark Electronics, Amkor) or other tech-related (Insight, GoDaddy). Other miscellaneous industries include mining (Freeport-McMoran), trash (Republic Services), home builders (Taylor Morrison, Meritage), trucking (Knight-Swift), grocery (Sprouts).

It definitely does not have the long-established corporate presence that older cities like Atlanta or even Minneapolis. But I would say the trend is positive (Benchmark Electronics, for instance, just moved here, and several of the above just entered Fortune's list). What I would say is missing is a company with a really out-sized presence both within the state and without it. Case and point is your question itself--there isn't really a company that makes you think "Phoenix." And even locally, I wouldn't say any of the above companies really hold sway. This may be in part due to most of the corporate headquarters not being homegrown companies.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 9:14 PM
Never Dell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
WHich is why its had all 4 major teams for 20 years + One of the larger NASCAR race tracks + A major College football team and soon to have a secondary football team and MLS expansion.

It just cant handle all of those epxpensive sports games like OKC and Charlotte can.
Maybe I should have added "for its size."

Five million people is a lot of course.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions