HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 4:54 PM

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post
One of the rare buildings that ended up looking better than the renderings. Walked by this Friday night and I was pretty impressed. Obviously it's not a great development, but the renderings had it looking like an eyesore. This is perfectly fine looking infill.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
One of the rare buildings that ended up looking better than the renderings. Walked by this Friday night and I was pretty impressed. Obviously it's not a great development, but the renderings had it looking like an eyesore. This is perfectly fine looking infill.
I'm actually excited about the amenities too. That rooftop restaurant/bar Attico looks pretty cool plus the cheaper Del Friscos I'm assuming is taking over the prime corner space.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
Funny, I had the exact opposite reaction. The renderings made it seem like the build would look bright and clean. The end result looks dirty to me.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottydont View Post
Funny, I had the exact opposite reaction. The renderings made it seem like the build would look bright and clean. The end result looks dirty to me.
I kind of have to agree with this...I don't know if it's the lighting of those pictures or the time of day or what, but it looks almost old. I've been a defender of this building, and I still think it's a decent enough addition...some of the pictures a few pages back are much more complimentary. I'll need to check it out in person.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
I'm actually excited about the amenities too. That rooftop restaurant/bar Attico looks pretty cool plus the cheaper Del Friscos I'm assuming is taking over the prime corner space.
I also like the amenities. But point me in the camp that thinks this turned out far worse than the renders. And I see it frequently. I live in Rittenhouse and the Bellevue (across the street from this) is my gym. I usually pass it to get there.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
I also like the amenities. But point me in the camp that thinks this turned out far worse than the renders. And I see it frequently. I live in Rittenhouse and the Bellevue (across the street from this) is my gym. I usually pass it to get there.
Looking back on this thread it seems I've been out of step from the beginning. The consensus on the renderings seem a lot more favorable than I remember. I just think white paneling never looks good on a building and ages disastrously. I also am simply not a fan of the overall look of the building, and the renderings made it seem like it would be very loud and stand out a lot. Plus considering what seemed to be very poor design, I assumed materials to be of noticeably low quality.

So for me, to see a building that looks to have decent quality, that is somewhat more muted and dignified than expected, allowing the building to sort of step into the background, was a big positive for me.

Then again I've only seen it in its nearly complete form once, at night. So I may be overestimating it, if people like you who see it more frequently are less impressed.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 1:10 PM

The rendering had clear spandrel glass which I think was far better than the VEd mess they ended going with.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 1:10 PM

I think it’s the brown vertical strip that ages it...poor color choice imo, came out much darker than the renderings.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
does anyone when Attico opens?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidphilly View Post
does anyone when Attico opens?
I remember reading end of April.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 5:23 PM

Old Posted Apr 14, 2018, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milksteak View Post
I think it’s the brown vertical strip that ages it...poor color choice imo, came out much darker than the renderings.
Yes, this is the worst "design" element by far. Also, the cheap, plasticky treatment given to the windows does not look good. If the strip did not look like that and the windows looked more like the renders, this would just be innocuous filler. Still a boon for the vibrancy of Broad Street. But a shame, they could not have spent a couple million more to make a better product. Oh well...

Old Posted May 1, 2018, 8:21 AM

Attico will most likely try to open for Memorial Day

Del Frisco's is taking the center space under the hotel. The corner building was to be retail but it may become additional hotel meeting & ballroom space.

Old Posted May 1, 2018, 3:43 PM

^ It's a Del Frisco's "lite", right? Surely, they're not abandoning their grand space to relocate into a 3 star hotel? I'm pretty sure I recall reading that. This hotel class (and their targeted demographic) does not mesh with the high end Del Frisco's brand.

And speaking of brands, there is nothing hip or cool about the Cambria's design. Which matters b/c the Cambria brand is supposed to be that type of brand (on par with aloft). The design isn't terrible, but it's bland and looks more like a generic hotel than the cool boutique hotel that they are striving for. In that regard, this design misses its mark.

That aside, the design is merely meh. Nonetheless, it's good infill and certainly a step up from what was there before.

Old Posted May 1, 2018, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
^ It's a Del Frisco's "lite", right? Surely, they're not abandoning their grand space to relocate into a 3 star hotel? I'm pretty sure I recall reading that. This hotel class (and their targeted demographic) does not mesh with the high end Del Frisco's brand.

And speaking of brands, there is nothing hip or cool about the Cambria's design. Which matters b/c the Cambria brand is supposed to be that type of brand (on par with aloft). The design isn't terrible, but it's bland and looks more like a generic hotel than the cool boutique hotel that they are striving for. In that regard, this design misses its mark.

That aside, the design is merely meh. Nonetheless, it's good infill and certainly a step up from what was there before.
I thought I heard it was going to be a Delfrisco's Grill or something like that. It's a lite version and the main location is unaffected. That place is a cash machine.

Old Posted May 1, 2018, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
I thought I heard it was going to be a Delfrisco's Grill or something like that. It's a lite version and the main location is unaffected. That place is a cash machine.
Yes. Del Friscos Grille, which is both cheaper and less steak focused. The main Del Friscos is not leaving Chestnut street.

Old Posted May 1, 2018, 4:32 PM

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 9:02 PM

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 9:09 PM

Looks like that's a wrap here. This building isn't inspiring, but it's not bad. I'm glad we could extend the South Broad canyon a little further and add some much needed hotel rooms.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive