HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Area Photos & Videos

Old Posted Dec 6, 2016, 10:01 PM
Sanity merchant

I member!

Old Posted Dec 6, 2016, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
BUMP

This was 6 years ago!

'Member?

Time flies. We have no snow right now!
I remember that storm well. I was at Fanshawe College at the time and the campus closed in the early afternoon. At the bus stop on Oxford Street there was almost a riot as people fought to get on the one 17 Oxford West bus that showed up.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2016, 1:21 AM
Sanity merchant

lol, I took out my rear wheel hemi on a spirited drive those two days.. was the first winter with it. Drove past a city bus, and bobcat in ditches, and people white knuckling it down Oxford, Dundas, and Wellington to not slide... Ah shit it was great. This is why, every year, take your FUCKING CARS TO A PARKING LOT AND TEACH/REMEMBER HOW TO DRIVE ON SNOW

Old Posted Dec 8, 2016, 2:01 AM
User Registered

Isn't RWD worse in snow compared to FWD? You want weight for traction, so having the drivetrain by the engine gives you some more grip.

Most of the vehicles I typically see in the ditch during winter are big honkin SUVs. Just because you've got AWD / 4x4 doesn't mean you're invincible.

Good tip about going to an empty parking lot. Would be kinda fun and you'll learn! Even though I have new snow tires, I might do some donuts or skids after the first major snowfall after reading this.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Dec 8, 2016, 3:21 AM
Sanity merchant

yes, very.. especially when you're near 350hp and 400 torque... It's a V8, so lots of go fast juice. It's rough in the winter, but I've never had an issue, and never lost control. If you know what you're doing, practice, and make sure you're not a cunt at the wheel, you're golden. I throw in kitty litter (not sand, as when it leaks, it's a massive pain to clean) in the trunk. About 120lbs helps. I use winter tires (not "snow" as people really seem to not follow that they are better in all of winter). Winter driving really is about being aware at all times of what your car is doing.. I mean, even moreso than the traction control, or abs, or whatever else.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2016, 3:42 PM

yeah that was fun. 40cm of snow a day for 3 days. The scary thing is given how warm the lakes are this year the potential exists for another major lake effect dump if cold enough air and winds line up with London just right. Hope the lakes quickly cool down to reduce the chances of a major dump.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 1:30 PM
User Registered

7 years ago...

24-Hour Precipitation Outlook from the weather network:
40-50 cm of snow from Sunday Overnight to Monday Evening; higher amounts in snow squalls

That was roughly doubled.

Fast forward 7 years and we have thunderstorms in December lol

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 3:50 PM

I remember the storm well. At the time I was working for the provincial government and the office was closed for almost three days because of the storm.

I remember how, on the day after the storm ended and the roads had been cleared, I went out to my car as the office had been re-opened and noticed how quiet and still the world was around me because so many people were still at home and not going into work. The quietude was eerie.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 10:00 PM

I remember how you went 10 miles east or west of London and it was green grass. I used to go to Toronto every night and no one down there believed what we were dealing with.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
I remember how you went 10 miles east or west of London and it was green grass. I used to go to Toronto every night and no one down there believed what we were dealing with.
I remember seeing on TV there was no snow whatsoever in West Lorne.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 7:01 PM

wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolognium View Post
Haljackey, your cat looks exactly like my cat.

Took this photo after I finished shoveling this afternoon:

And here are a couple I took while walking downtown with my brother:

beautiful pics. thanks for sharing. that is a lot of shoveling!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Area Photos & Videos