HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

EY Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Toronto Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Toronto Forum   • Toronto Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 27, 2008, 8:48 PM

NORFOLK | Hilton The Main | 270 FT | 23 FLOORS

http://hamptonroads.com/2008/05/down...s-westin-brand

By Christopher Dinsmore
The Virginian-Pilot
© May 27, 2008
NORFOLK

rendering uncredited

The convention center hotel planned for downtown will now top out at 23 stories and carry the Westin brand, the city of Norfolk and the developer announced today.

A taller tower will allow the project to be expanded to 301 hotel rooms plus an undetermined number of residential condominiums on the top six floors. Initially the $150 million hotel was to have been 16 stories with 250 rooms.

“The city is delighted that downtown Norfolk’s newest prestigious address will bear the name Westin,” Norfolk Mayor Paul D. Fraim said in a statement. “Westin has a national and international reputation for luxurious hotels and superior customer service.”

The hotel will be connected to a 50,000-square-foot conference center the city is developing that will include a grand ballroom, three floors of meeting space and a 4,000-square-foot media room. The city will also build a 600-space garage for the project.

The hotel is being developed by Norfolk Hotel Alliance LLC, which is a partnership of LTD Management, Robinson Development Corp. and Fulco Development.

The hotel is scheduled to open in 2011.
"There is no end of opinions ready to be expressed. Studying them can go on forever and become very exhausting!" Ecc. 12:12 (NLT)

Old Posted May 31, 2008, 4:28 PM

Downtown Norfolk hotel project expands, gets Westin brand

http://hamptonroads.com/2008/05/down...s-westin-brand

Downtown Norfolk hotel project expands, gets Westin brand
The city of Norfolk made it official Tuesday: The convention center hotel downtown will carry the Westin brand name and top out at 23 stories.

The announcement means that local partners LTD Management, Robinson Development and Fulco Development have reached an agreement with billionaire Robert L. Johnson, effectively releasing him from a commitment to build the convention center hotel.

The agreement clears the way for the developers, operating as the Norfolk Hotel Alliance LLC Partnership, to proceed with the $150 million convention center hotel project that will include the hotel, a 50,000-square-foot conference center and a 600-space parking garage.

The project, at Main and Granby streets where three historic buildings were torn down to make way for it, is a public-private venture that will be financed largely with city dollars.

Johnson began negotiating with city officials in 2003, and reached an agreement to build a Hilton Hotel in 2005. Last year, citing increasing construction costs and what he feared was an impending recession, Johnson told city officials he wanted to pull out.

Without bids, LTD Management of Chesapeake was quickly chosen to replace Johnson as the lead developer. Assistant City Manager Stanley A. Stein said the local developers will have the same deal with the city as did Johnson's group.

Stein said construction likely won't begin until next spring. The hotel is slated to open in 2011.

The project has been completely redesigned since LTD took over. The Westin will have 301 guest rooms, 51 more than Johnson was to build, including 12 "luxury suites." It will also feature two restaurants.

The project will be topped off with six stories of condominiums that have been presold. Most or all have been purchased by LTD officials.

The project will be heavily subsidized by the city, which paid $9.3 million for land acquisition and will pay the developers a $7.5 million "performance grant," in which some taxes generated by the hotel will be returned to the owners.

The city has contracted with LTD to construct the $49 million conference center and a $20 million parking deck. The parking deck will be paid for with user's fees. The conference center will be financed with hotel and restaurant taxes.

In addition, the city will provide a $750,000 performance grant if LTD is able to persuade an upscale restaurant, such as a Morton's steakhouse, to locate at the hotel.

Vice Mayor Anthony L. Burfoot, who had said Johnson's hotel proposal wasn't upscale enough, praised LTD.

"This is all I had hoped for," he said. "When we first went down this road, I thought it needed to be a signature project with all of the resources we're putting into it.

"We needed a larger hotel and they gave it to us. We needed something like a Westin and they gave it to us. They're really stepping up at the plate."

Councilman Barclay C. Winn echoed Burfoot's praise of LTD.

"I have a lot of confidence in LTD," he said. "Every project they do is first class. They take care of their properties. They do what they say they're going to do. They're local, and you know where to find them.

"I feel so much better than I did with the previous developer."

Old Posted Apr 17, 2009, 1:35 PM

This hotel will actually be 26 floors and 315ft high.

http://hamptonroads.com/2008/09/west...llest-downtown

Old Posted Apr 17, 2009, 11:24 PM

When will construction begin?

I also had no idea that Norfolk's tallest was only 340 ft. I need y'all to do something about that, LOL. A couple of smaller cities have you guys beat when it comes to that.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2009, 12:09 AM

Not only do smaller cities beat Norfolk's height. But with the states tallest at only 500 something feet tall a lot of states have us beat when it comes to a states tallest building. Me I would love to see the states tallest get around 600 something feet in the next 5-6 years. Its sad we haven't had many really tall buildings in VA. Richmond still has the Monroe Tower at 137 Meters tall which I really want to see changed soon.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2009, 12:49 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

nice building.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2009, 7:59 PM
Chairman

Is this officially under construction?

-sb

Old Posted Apr 20, 2009, 9:38 PM
Closed account

Beautiful building

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 3:08 AM
Virginia!

Woops, time to update you guys! The building is slated to begin construction this fall. The site is cleared and ready to go!

Our other building, the wells fargo is getting ready to top out now!

Ya virginia is really short, it has 3 1/2 great metros though! We will get taller soon!

Imagine yourself in Hampton Roads Virginia!
http://www.hreda.com/video/video-player.html

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 3:19 AM

Awesome project! Cant wait till its done. Ill try to keep this project updated. I'm in the Hampton Roads area every other month.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 1:25 PM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobius57 View Post
Woops, time to update you guys! The building is slated to begin construction this fall. The site is cleared and ready to go!

Our other building, the wells fargo is getting ready to top out now!

Ya virginia is really short, it has 3 1/2 great metros though! We will get taller soon!
So this is not under construction. Why is the thread in this sub-forum?

-sb

Old Posted Aug 12, 2015, 6:46 PM

Cancelled

Edit: Now The Hilton at The Main.

http://insidebiz.com/news/downtown-n...-officials-say

Quote:
The last attempt - dating back to 2008 talks with LTD Hospitality Group of Chesapeake - called for a 26-story Westin Hotel, a 50,000-square-foot conference center and a 600-space parking garage.

When the economy tanked, development plans followed, and the site at Granby and Main streets has since been turned into a park known as "The Plot."

Last edited by Urbannizer; Aug 13, 2015 at 4:35 AM.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2015, 7:16 PM

The Hilton at The Main

The development was brought back to life as the Hilton at The Main and is currently only level 4/5 with two tower cranes.

23 floors with a delivery of 2017 on track.

http://www.themainnorfolk.com

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 4:21 AM

This was roughly a week or so ago, so currently 7 floors up. This is viewed from the northeast with the sun setting over the Elizabeth River.

Official height is 270ft.

Old Posted May 28, 2016, 6:06 PM

As of 3/2016:

Norfolk Garage Rooftop-4375-Pano-1 by erika348, on Flickr

Old Posted May 28, 2016, 6:19 PM
A before E

It is good to see this building is finally getting built. I take it they are still installing the facade of the little building on Plume St that they took down?

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 11:31 AM

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 11:12 PM

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive