HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jul 8, 2013, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvairkeith View Post
I bought my house on E 12th back in 2004 and have watched it slowly change and gentrify over the last nine years. Although things have really kick into high gear in the last six months or so. When I first moved in I could sit on my front porch in the early evening for an hour and see three to five prostitutes get picked up by their customers. There are still a few around but not even a tenth of the numbers there were when I moved in. All in all I love the area and have never had any problems here or felt unsafe. Although I grew up 50 miles South of Detroit so even the "worst" parts of Austin are nothing compared to where I came from.
Are you from Toledo by chance? ...I am (50 mi south of detroit)... and yes, nothing here compares to the hood there. It's run by a multitude of gangs.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 12:09 AM

Yep, I used to live in the old West End. Beautiful old victorian mansions surrounded by crack houses. One good thing about Toledo is the cost of living. I used to rent the second floor of an old warehouse downtown to store my cars, had to take them up in a big freight elevator. The building was an old car dealership in the 30s and the second floor was the service department so I wasn't worried about the weight of the cars. I had as many as eight cars at a time there and there was room for about a dozen more. The rent for the whole floor was $100 a month.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 12:53 AM

That's awesome. I grew up in Sylvania. The urban building stock that's unused up there could be put to such good use here. Modern sun belt cities just lack that pre 50's density.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 1:10 AM

Weird, did you go to Northview or Southview? I graduated from Northview class of '88. Moved to the Old West End in '88 and lived there till the late 90's when I moved back to Sylvania before moving here.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 1:59 AM

Lol. Went to southview my first 3 years. Transferred to Northview for basketball reasons. Graduated from Northview in 92.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 2:54 AM

Small world! I usually tell people I'm from South of Detroit because it's a better frame of reference than saying Toledo. I didn't think anyone would know where Sylvania, Ohio was.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 5:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvairkeith View Post
Small world! I usually tell people I'm from South of Detroit because it's a better frame of reference than saying Toledo. I didn't think anyone would know where Sylvania, Ohio was.
Dumb question perhaps but do they have a lightbulb factory there?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2013, 4:46 PM
クラブトクヨ

Hello,
Moving from OKC to Austin for Dell. What should I expect? Going to live in Round Rock at first in an apartment. La Frontera Square seemed to be the most modern for the area, good choice?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2013, 4:55 PM
Austinite

Native Austinite... grew up on the northwest side. Needless to say I've seen some dramatic changes over the years! I can tell you the history of current and former retail businesses throughout the area (like location of an old Chuck-E-Cheese). Kind of useless info to some, but I find it fascinating nonetheless

Old Posted Jul 10, 2013, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubtokyo View Post
Hello,
Moving from OKC to Austin for Dell. What should I expect? Going to live in Round Rock at first in an apartment. La Frontera Square seemed to be the most modern for the area, good choice?
First I like to say is welcome to Austin, 2nd Austin and the surrounding area will be a little more expensive than OKC. Finally La Frontera Square is a good choice from what I hear.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2013, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Hello,
Welcome to my neck of the woods...lots of traffic and sprawl. But you will be just minutes from work assuming you will be working at the main campus in Round Rock. Lots of shopping and eating options. Depending on traffic you are only about 15 to 20 minutes from downtown Austin. If you golf, there are also plenty of options nearby. If you like AAA baseball, the Round Rock Express at the Dell Diamond is about 15 minutes away. There is a Flix Brewhouse almost walking distance from you. I think you made a good choice.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2013, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Hello,
I would say for apartment living in Round Rock La Frontera would be good if you work at Dell. I lived in La Frontera for a few years and very briefly worked at Dell. It's a short to reasonable walk to just about any type of shopping you might need to do. There are a lot of restaurant choices in the area as well.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2013, 11:01 PM
クラブトクヨ

Thanks everyone for the information and welcome! I cant wait to move, hopefully there wont be as many tornadoes as OKC.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2013, 12:40 AM

Beautiful Portland, Oregon here.

Formerly of Austin 78745 (for junior high, high school and college).

Did stints in Houston (Yuck!) and Dallas (Double Yuck!).

Old Posted Jul 11, 2013, 12:55 AM

I'm from Lockhart. I was born in Austin but lived majority of life in Lockhart. Then moved to Fargo, ND where I have resided the past ten years. I frequent the Austin & San Antonio threads to keep up on things down there and usually take 3-4 trips down there to see my mom

Old Posted Jul 11, 2013, 6:36 PM

I grew up in Wimberley, TX south of Austin then moved to Barrow, Alaska when I was 13. My wife and I moved from Alaska after college and have been here for almost 5 years now.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 4:16 AM

This guy's a native Austinite living in zip code 78754, a little bit West of Manor, just off 290.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 8:08 PM
クラブトクヨ

One last thing, whats a good place that is open to the public that would be high up, or in a building that you go up in to look over Austin? Thanks!

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 8:40 PM

Quote:
One last thing, whats a good place that is open to the public that would be high up, or in a building that you go up in to look over Austin? Thanks!
Travel to Barton Creek Mall, I promise u will not be disappointed.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2013, 2:05 AM

Quote:
Take a UT Tower tour.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin