HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jul 13, 2013, 7:07 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubtokyo View Post
One last thing, whats a good place that is open to the public that would be high up, or in a building that you go up in to look over Austin? Thanks!
A few photo threads I've done from 5 of Austin's hotels - the Hilton Garden Inn, Hilton Austin Convention Hotel, Marriott Courtyard, Omni Downtown Hotel and the Hyatt Regency.

They all have some public vantage points.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...tin%27s+hotels

This one also shows the Barton Creek Mall view.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=200063

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=202285

Old Posted Jul 15, 2013, 7:08 PM

I am not sure how I have missed this thread until now.

I first moved to Bouldin (south Austin in 78704) in '93 and was continuously asked, "Why do you live There?" The impression was that too many poor and non-white folk lived there. My response was always the same..."Because it is right across the river from Downtown. It is central to everything in Austin. And I like the area."

I have lived near Parmer and MoPac, near Seton Hospital, Stassney and Manchaca, and now in far north Allendale near Shoal Creek and Anderson. I moved to Austin to live in a small city. I had no idea that the entire 5 county metro area would explode from the population that just The city of Austin has today, 800+ thousand, to 1.8 million. Over doubling in population in 20 years is simply astounding!

Old Posted Jul 16, 2013, 4:19 AM
Meh

That's funny. Now Elijah Wood lives in Bouldin.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2013, 4:24 AM

So my plans are to save over $10k by the end of the year, shoot a movie and perhaps move back to Austin. You'll have another famous filmmaker living in Austin in no time.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2013, 8:59 PM

Before moving to Austin, my family moved around quite a bit (Georgia, Missouri, Louisiana, California, Texas, Taiwan, Puerto Rico) because Dad was in the US Army - hence my username.

1st place I (with my parents) lived after moving to Austin in January, 1959 when Dad retired was the old house next to the Beta Theta Pi frat house across the street from the Caswell Tennis Center.

Next we moved to a new house on Elmhurst (between Riverside & Woodland, just 1 block east of I-35).

3rd place was the Ambassador Apartments located at 18th & San Antonio.

The family moved to Monterrey, Mexico for one year where Dad worked for a university.

Then back to the house on Elmhurst until I got married in 1967.

The blushing bride & I took up residence in the old apartment complex on S.5th Street, about a block south of Riverside.

Moved to Giddings for two years (shudder).

Back to Austin in 1969 - first lived in an apartment on Manor Circle east of old Mueller Airport.

Soon afterwards, we moved to the Santa Maria apartment community at 183 & North Lamar (it was subsidized housing owned by the Catholic Diocese of Austin. Lived there two years.

Next we bought a new house on Kendal Drive in the new Nash Phillips Copus subdivision called Windsor Hills off east Rundberg Lane - backing up to Cameron/Dessau Road. Lived there 5 years. Rundberg had just been paved over before we bought there - that place was waaay out in the boonies.

In 1976 we moved a few miles north to a bigger house (built by Conan Construction) on January Drive in the Four Seasons development. Raised our three boys there until 1995.

Lastly, being empty nesters, we downsized & moved to the Meadows of Brushy Creek on the west side of Round Rock just north of 620 where we've been ever since. Our "new" home was built by Doyle Wilson.

So I dunno where I'm from.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2013, 7:58 PM

Just now saw this thread. I live downtown in a condo at the Sabine building (which some of you have been to). I'm originally from Louisiana but I've been in Austin for nearly 25 years so it's home to me now. First came to Austin as a contract programmer at IBM, working on the late and definitely un-lamented OS/2.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2013, 1:59 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

My dad worked in the lower end of IBM for 30+ years. He still has a copy of OS/2 unopened and still in the cardboard sleeve. Maybe it'll be worth something...

Old Posted Jul 24, 2013, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by priller View Post
Just now saw this thread. I live downtown in a condo at the Sabine building (which some of you have been to). I'm originally from Louisiana but I've been in Austin for nearly 25 years so it's home to me now. First came to Austin as a contract programmer at IBM, working on the late and definitely un-lamented OS/2.
OS/2 was ahead of its time. It was doing "multitasking" while Windows was only looking pretty with Ver. 3.1 which was really just dressed up DOS. But IBM was/is horrible at marketing and Microsoft kicked our ass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
My dad worked in the lower end of IBM for 30+ years. He still has a copy of OS/2 unopened and still in the cardboard sleeve. Maybe it'll be worth something...
IBM gave all employees a copy of the OS/2 operating system. I opted for the diskette version (as opposed to the cutting edge CD-ROM version) and got 27 discs if I remember correctly.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin