HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Some of the proposed buildings likely would block the Olympic Museum's view of the mountains, Murray said.
It's nice to know Colorado Spring and Boulder at least have something that they can agree on.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 2:25 AM
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazette on the Stadium
"Parking downtown is horrendous," she said, and the sports and event center would only exacerbate the problem. She said she's not a sports fan and doesn't plan to attend games in the stadium but worries about navigating downtown.
...are they? Are they being serious?

"Of course you're right." Cirrus

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 3:08 AM

I think its more where people want to park, (which isn't a large area ) is usually congested. A block or two east or south and parking opens up

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 5:28 PM
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loyoung View Post
I think its more where people want to park, (which isn't a large area ) is usually congested. A block or two east or south and parking opens up
I guess when I go to the Springs, I'm at the courthouse just south of downtown. And parking around there isn't a problem at all. Even when I putz around downtown for stuff it's not a huge issue.

"Of course you're right." Cirrus

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loyoung View Post
Colorado Springs seems to have some projects in the pipeline like...

[snip]
Photos are broken for me
"The engineer is the key figure in the material progress of the world. It is his engineering that makes a reality of the potential value of science by translating scientific knowledge into tools, resources, energy and labor to bring them into the service of man. To make contributions of this kind the engineer requires the imagination to visualize the need of society and to appreciate what is possible as well as the technological and broad social age understanding to bring his vision to reality."

Last edited by Cirrus; Jan 29, 2018 at 8:21 PM.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 3:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngiNerd View Post
Photos are broken for me
me too.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 1:59 AM

Whoa! Is this for real?

Huge, solar-powered Lakewood homeless campus plan takes next step
January 24, 2018 by Andrew Kenney - Denverite
Quote:
A plan to provide housing and services for hundreds of people experiencing homelessness in Lakewood got a crucial approval from the federal government on Tuesday, according to the Colorado Coalition for the Homeless.
What's next?
Quote:
Now, the nonprofit CCH is pulling together a financial plan to take on the $120 million project.

“We feel like it’s a pretty major step in the process. To ask us to fully develop a financing and operations plan — that’s real,” said Cathy Alderman, spokeswoman for CCH. “That takes us one step closer to actually implementing something and fully realizing the vision.”
Congratulations to the anti-growth members of Lakewood. Don't forget to welcome your new neighbors.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 3:41 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Whoa! Is this for real?

Huge, solar-powered Lakewood homeless campus plan takes next step
January 24, 2018 by Andrew Kenney - Denverite

What's next?

Congratulations to the anti-growth members of Lakewood. Don't forget to welcome your new neighbors.
Lakewood fucked themselves so hard on this one. It's hilarious. Also, it's great that a huge affordable neighborhood with thousands of residents will be coming to this area.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 5:45 PM

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 3:57 AM

^ nicely played!

Southeast Suburbs Drawing Workers And Employers
January 25, 2018 by Margaret Jackson, Bisnow Denver
Quote:
With housing costs escalating in Denver’s central neighborhoods, more people are moving to the southeast suburbs, making the area an attractive prospect for all types of development, according to panelists at Bisnow’s Future of Southeast Suburban Denver event Wednesday at the Lone Tree Arts Center.
Just any ole development?
Quote:
But for any type of development to be successful, it is critical that there are nearby amenities that workers can walk to.
I can only assume that Aurora City Center will be next?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 3:15 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
I can only assume that Aurora City Center will be next?
Nope.

1) Housing stock is shit nearby.
2) The transit sucks. Connections are terrible, rail path is terrible, and the R Line is terrible for suburban commuters coming from the more desirable locales of Greenwood Village, Parker, Lone Tree, and Castle Rock (not to mention Denver)
3) I-225 has little to no office space, nor is it desirable to be there given the difficulty in accessing it from the other locations. Going Smoky Hill to Parker to 225 from the Southlands is far worse than hopping on E470 and heading to DTC/Meridian.
4) Schools. Putting your kid in Aurora Public Schools guarantees that they matriculate to Canon City, or worse, Tempe.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
Nope.

1) Housing stock is shit nearby.
2) The transit sucks. Connections are terrible, rail path is terrible, and the R Line is terrible for suburban commuters coming from the more desirable locales of Greenwood Village, Parker, Lone Tree, and Castle Rock (not to mention Denver)
3) I-225 has little to no office space, nor is it desirable to be there given the difficulty in accessing it from the other locations. Going Smoky Hill to Parker to 225 from the Southlands is far worse than hopping on E470 and heading to DTC/Meridian.
4) Schools. Putting your kid in Aurora Public Schools guarantees that they matriculate to Canon City, or worse, Tempe.
Hook, line, sinker.... caught ya.

What's clear is that office space is being more concentrated than ever. Downtown and the SE Corridor are where it's at and all other areas kinda suck.

That trend was especially observable in Phoenix metro where developers had built clusters of office space all over, anywhere there was freeway exposure and there's a ton of freeway exposure down here. When the Great Recession hit they had vacancy shoot up over 25% (average) and linger for years. Meanwhile there were cranes in the air in Tempe which had become the new hot spot for urban density. Relatively well located Scottsdale Airpark suffered for years significantly from obsolescence. Took a few good 'workhorse' companies to come in and buy buildings for a song, renovate and repurpose for their own needs etc.

Not sure what North Aurora can do to reinvent itself. They could try to copy areas of Phoenix where backoffice/call centers are yuge business. For many companies being bilingual is an asset. Upscale American Express for example has it's own 'isolated' site (next to Mayo Clinic) and hires lots of HB1-visa holders from India.

I wish them Good Luck.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 12:58 AM

Photo credit: Andy Cross, The Denver Post

New Gaylord Rockies general manager digs into challenge of hiring 1,500 workers
Jan 31, 2018 by By Ed Sealover – Denver Business Journal
Quote:
But general manager Rick Medwedeff, who arrived at the property just three weeks ago after 12 years running the JW Marriott Marco Island Beach Resort in southwest Florida, has a far more daunting task on his hands.

He must fill roughly 1,500 jobs by early November despite unemployment at just 3.1 percent and with a surplus of new restaurants creating a labor crunch in the food and beverage industry.
Steps one and two
Quote:
he has begun talks already with Aurora Public Schools and with Johnson & Wales University about partnerships that will create talent pipelines, and he expects he will be getting some personnel help from other Gaylord resorts as well — even though he plans to hire the majority of his staff from within Colorado.

“I have a significant support system out there that when it comes time to do this, we will be bringing in people from throughout the United States to help out,” he said regarding his ability to fill all 1,500 jobs. “Will there be a concern about filling all these roles? Absolutely. I would be naive not to think that. But I’m confident that we can do it.”
Pretty interesting article but it's behind their paywall (unless you have a work-around like me).

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 8:43 PM

Photo courtesy Dean Saitta/Planetizen

Aurora Rising
August 14, 2017 by Dean Saitta/Planetizen
Quote:
This rapidly diversifying community is one to watch as planning for cultural inclusion, social equity, and environmental sustainability become priorities for the American city.

The Aurora of which I speak... it’s Aurora, Colorado. One of the great revelations of the 2017 Rocky Mountain Land Use Institute (RMLUI) annual conference on "Creating Inclusive Communities" that I wrote about here was learning more about Denver's rapidly urbanizing neighbor to the east.
What about Aurora's demographics?
Quote:
Given its burgeoning immigrant and refugee population, Aurora is making major strides to accommodate cultural diversity. Indeed, the city can be considered a national leader in this effort.
Pretty interesting article actually.
Quote:
The most significant influx of immigrants and refugees began in 2007. A decade later, over 20 percent of Aurora's population is foreign born. The major ethnic groups by population size are Mexican, Ethiopian, Salvadoran, Korean, and Vietnamese. A new Salvadoran consulate opened in the city earlier this year.
True personal story
My son lives in nice stable area of North Phoenix and the diversity is amazing, from white to black and all shades of brown. We made note of the various types one day in the grocery store. There's a lot of Russian/Eastern European immigrants in the area, ofc Hispanic and plenty of middle eastern residents as well.

There's three Goodwill stores within about a ten minute drive of where Jeremey lives and we have fun shopping for 'bargains.' I outfitted Jeremy with the best clothes that money can buy and when you develop your 'eye' you can find near-new pants & shirts with the dry cleaners tag still attached. Polo, Cooke Street, Roundtree & York, Banana Republic etc and lots of private label stuff. Same thing with shoes; love those Vans and Nike SB's. Tons of father-son fun in the process.

The other point is that it doesn't matter where in the world families are from; you notice and compliment their children and watch their faces just light up.

Oh and the restaurants. One of my favorites is simply a British place called the Codfather; great fish 'n chips.

It's hard to quantify the contribution made by Phoenix's diverse population but it is immense.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 12:16 PM

Oh Boy

Homeless Development Evokes Fury Among Residents
February 8, 2018 By Karen Morfitt/CBS4 Denver
Quote:
LAKEWOOD, Colo. (CBS4)– Lakewood residents were fired up at Thursday night’s public meeting hosted by the Colorado Coalition for the Homeless.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 2:38 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Oh Boy

Homeless Development Evokes Fury Among Residents
February 8, 2018 By Karen Morfitt/CBS4 Denver

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 4:13 PM

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Even before John Parvensky, the president of the Coalition for the Homeless could make his case, Lakewood residents were voicing their opposition.

“We have things to say, sir, to him and to you!” one woman yelled from her seat during the initial presentation. “Shame on you sir… you’re thinking about yourself and your salary,” she told Parvensky.
http://denver.cbslocal.com/2018/02/0...ederal-center/

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 10:59 PM

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 3:48 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West