HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Jun 1, 2017, 11:01 AM

2-storey house infill on 1-storey house?

Can u demolish a 1-storey house and rebuild a new 2-storey house on the land?
How come most demolish and rebuild are on tiny lots? How come people rarely demolish and rebuild on wide lots (wider than 50 feets)?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2017, 11:39 AM

Sure you can. Just apply to the city for the demolition and construction permits. Chances are you'll still be onside of zoning, and won't even need to apply for a variance as long as the footprint doesn't change such that you bump up against the lot coverage ratio, or come too close to the lot lines.

What makes you say most tear-downs and rebuilds are on tiny lots? Insofar as that's the case, I would imagine that might be because more central areas with higher land costs tend to be divided into smaller lots. Your 50 foot lots are in newer (post-war, anyway) subdivisions.

But I think people demolish homes on all kinds of different lots to rebuild.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2017, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillStreetBlues View Post
What makes you say most tear-downs and rebuilds are on tiny lots? more central areas with higher land costs tend to be divided into smaller lots. Your 50 foot lots are in newer (post-war, anyway) subdivisions.
But I think people demolish homes on all kinds of different lots to rebuild.
I have been observing for a while. Most tear&rebuilds are on the relatively smaller lots within a street. Lets say an old street have lot size ranges between 30-50 feet. Most of the infills I see are between 30-40 feet.

And I have seen plenty of 2-storey tear&rebuilds, but I have NEVER seen one that was built on a street where every other house are 1-storey. Have you ever seen a 2-storey rebuild on a all 1-storey street, tell me when you see one.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2017, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie369 View Post
And I have seen plenty of 2-storey tear&rebuilds, but I have NEVER seen one that was built on a street where every other house are 1-storey. Have you ever seen a 2-storey rebuild on a all 1-storey street, tell me when you see one.
I have seen a few in Byron over the years.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates