HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 7:11 PM

Project 200 Information

Price Tags has posted information and a link to the whole scanned Project 200 document:

http://pricetags.wordpress.com/2012/...#comment-17309

Quote:

http://pricetags.wordpress.com/2012/...#comment-17311

Believe it or not, there were only 4 office buildings in the plan - the rest were apartments and hotels.

Quote:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jmv/set...th/6852779716/

Last edited by officedweller; Mar 22, 2012 at 7:47 PM.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 8:45 PM
See ya down under, mates

Very interesting. I hate 60s architecture, but it sure would be nice to have downtown grow over the train tracks. Seems like every plan for that vaporizes soon after appearing.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 9:21 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

There's no doubt Vancouver would've been very different today if it had gone through. Think there are elements of Project 200 that still have merit for tomorrow's Vancouver.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 9:23 PM

that is how I feel as well, project 200 wasn't completely negative, it actually has some good portions, and I am very happy we at least got 1 tower out of it, which adds some nice texture and variety to downtown.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 9:35 PM

Thanks for posting. I don't think I'd ever seen the elevations before.

It looks like the taller Granville Square (where PWC is now) would've been about 550 ft tall. It would've been cool to see that one built and give Granville Square a more cohesive look - although it looks like it extends over Cordova, which would've been awful.

Note from the elevation the tallest (hotel/office) tower looks to be almost exactly twice as tall as Granville Square which would put in the 800-900 ft range. I can't help but wonder how different Downtown Vancouver would be if one taller tower had ever made it through back then...

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 10:41 PM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by phesto View Post

Note from the elevation the tallest (hotel/office) tower looks to be almost exactly twice as tall as Granville Square which would put in the 800-900 ft range. I can't help but wonder how different Downtown Vancouver would be if one taller tower had ever made it through back then...
Yes, it is a shame that Vancouver did not build at least one beautiful, soaring, iconic tower before the politicians castrated the city with their viewcones. It could have served as a beacon of inspiration, of hope and of the possible until Vancouver got its balls back.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Thanks for posting. I don't think I'd ever seen the elevations before.

It looks like the taller Granville Square (where PWC is now) would've been about 550 ft tall. It would've been cool to see that one built and give Granville Square a more cohesive look - although it looks like it extends over Cordova, which would've been awful.

It was to be called Federal Square - so I think Sinclair Centre would have been demolished and Cordova closed.

Interesting bits:

- It mentions a commuter, inter-city, intra-urban and airport transportation hub (with future rapid transit). It would have been interesting to see if VIA would have chosen the CP Station over Pacific Central had Project 200 provided a new station.

- If the office core had a firm footing close to Gastown (rather than moving up to Burrard & Georgia), would Woodward's and Hastings Street have died and become the DTES as we know it? (Someone should do a thesis on that.)

- And look at all that residential space (likely rental) - well before the current trend in downtown living.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 1:21 AM

Mercy, fetch the smelling salts, there would have been a freeway that deprived us of that swath of tired East Van homes! And cut us off from the beautiful industrial waterfront, (just ignore the fact wewould have gained a built over plaza to the waterfront) And a North Shore tunnel that would have allowed the restoration of Stanley Park.

Thanks to the small minds that defeated this.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 2:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Mercy, fetch the smelling salts, there would have been a freeway that deprived us of that swath of tired East Van homes!
I'd love to do a compare and contrast between all your posts defending anyone who wants to keep condos out of their neighbourhood and all the ones excoriating people who don't want to live next to a freeway.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 2:39 AM

... ain't it the truth!

Quote:
Mercy, fetch the smelling salts, there would have been a freeway that deprived us of that swath of tired East Van homes! And cut us off from the beautiful industrial waterfront, (just ignore the fact wewould have gained a built over plaza to the waterfront) And a North Shore tunnel that would have allowed the restoration of Stanley Park.

Thanks to the small minds that defeated this.

Meh, yeah!!! It's a good thing we have small, parochial-minded governments to keep things from progressing too fast, too much, as you say!

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 2:44 AM
testify

they did something like this in sf, the embarcadero complex off justin herman plaza. it's one of the most hateful parts of the city, something virtually everyone agrees is monstrously ugly and destructive to the urban fabric. it replaced gastown-like buildings too (though sf's we considerably taller and having greater mixity of uses). we all know the story of the freeway removal, i'm sure, but the embarcadero center is probably still a few decades away from demolition

as for the development over the tracks, that'll happen someday soon, maybe even by 2020, and it'll be a lot better than this shitty plan, with these shitty towers.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 3:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
Yes, it is a shame that Vancouver did not build at least one beautiful, soaring, iconic tower before the politicians castrated the city with their viewcones. It could have served as a beacon of inspiration, of hope and of the possible until Vancouver got its balls back.
I agree with you in principle, but if Granville Square is any indication of what a giant 60's tower in Vancouver might have looked like, maybe it's for the best. "Beautiful, soaring, iconic"? Ehhhhhh....

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 3:38 PM

Came across this: http://vancouver.ca/commsvcs/plannin...lks/w_gt18.htm

Didn't know this building was the first phase of Project 200. Makes sense though; I hate it!

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 4:43 PM

Quote:

Didn't know this building was the first phase of Project 200. Makes sense though; I hate it!
In a similar vein, I somehow have it in my head that this little development was also part of Project 200, or developed by parties related to CP/Marathon:

http://g.co/maps/3smqm

Hopefully that link works...

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 6:45 PM

Quote:

Apparently, that building was quite revolutionary, as the large concrete exterior panels are structural (presumably allowing column free space inside).

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 6:50 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Apparently, that building was quite revolutionary, as the large concrete exterior panels are structural (presumably allowing column free space inside).
The building contained / contains the Telus Central office and phone switches right?

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 6:58 PM

Don't think it's Telus (those are on Seymour).
Used to be CN/CP Telecommunications, so whoever is the successor of those companies - i.e. Unitel -> AT&T -> MTS Allstream

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CNCP_Telecommunications

Presumably there's still switching equipment in there.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quobobo View Post
I'd love to do a compare and contrast between all your posts defending anyone who wants to keep condos out of their neighbourhood and all the ones excoriating people who don't want to live next to a freeway.
And I'd love to know how many many people on East 1st, 12th and Broadway were really excited to have their residential neighbourhoods sacrificed because a few hippies banded together to defeat a big bad freeway. Only the most naive would think some magic anti-freeway wand was waved and the traffic just disappeared.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 11:21 PM

Quote:
And I'd love to know how many many people on East 1st, 12th and Broadway were really excited to have their residential neighbourhoods sacrificed because a few hippies banded together to defeat a big bad freeway. Only the most naive would think some magic anti-freeway wand was waved and the traffic just disappeared.
I suspect there were more people living on Prior, Union, Venables and Adanac streets who were relieved to know their homes and neighbourhoods WEREN'T going to be sacrificed to the pro-freeway elites as part of the 'urban renewal' schemes.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 1:58 AM

^^ Agree. Chinatown would have been obliterated with the freeway plan, as with strathcona. Chinatown has been deemed a national historic site by the federal government last year.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues