HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Jan 31, 2017, 11:00 PM

IKEA will definitely want to locate along the 401 and be visible from the highway. The PenEquity lands would be ideal.

Would be surprised if they would be able to get zoning at 401 - Wonderland as the city doesn't plan to extend services that far south anytime soon.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2017, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericlewis91 View Post
Didn't the Costco expand many years back already?
Yup, they added a bay to the north side of the building. I believe when Costco and Price Club merged. If you look at G Earth or aerial maps you can see the different colour in the roofing.

The Costco is 133,000 sq.ft. in that location and for reference the Burlington IKEA is 200,000 sq.ft. I would say even if they bulldoze the Costco your not going to squeeze a 200,000 sq.ft. plate on that lot with the required parking that you'd need.

I don't know of any big box format retailer that is reusing old building right now. They all want to build to their specific store format. I agree that I could see them carving up the store into smaller units to reuse it like they did the old Home Depot on Warncliffe.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2017, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericlewis91 View Post
Didn't the Costco expand many years back already?
Yes it did. I think around the same time the north one opened.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 3:59 PM

I’ll add this link to this development. Guessing it would be located in this plaza.

http://www.lfpress.com/2017/10/11/in...london-in-2019

Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWD15 View Post
Yup, they added a bay to the north side of the building. I believe when Costco and Price Club merged. If you look at G Earth or aerial maps you can see the different colour in the roofing.

The Costco is 133,000 sq.ft. in that location and for reference the Burlington IKEA is 200,000 sq.ft. I would say even if they bulldoze the Costco your not going to squeeze a 200,000 sq.ft. plate on that lot with the required parking that you'd need.

I don't know of any big box format retailer that is reusing old building right now. They all want to build to their specific store format. I agree that I could see them carving up the store into smaller units to reuse it like they did the old Home Depot on Warncliffe.
I heard that the store will most likely be demolished. The land behind it is wetlands and not suitable to build on (the reason that Costco never had a gas bar or expanded, was supposed to go there).

Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyeman200 View Post
I heard that the store will most likely be demolished. The land behind it is wetlands and not suitable to build on (the reason that Costco never had a gas bar or expanded, was supposed to go there).
The store isn't really set up well enough for them to expand any more. Being a building that wasn't their design to begin with. Their loading docks are in a different spot than a Costco designed building would be, and they are landlocked from going any other direction. The land around them wasn't theirs, so they couldn't put the gas bars behind the store or across the road on the empty lot beside Wimpy's. The wet land apparently doesn't matter, since the Ikea is going exactly where the small lake is. The plans that Pen Equity put out show the current Costco being demolished and a new building eventually going on that site.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 2:34 PM

This is a map layout of the mall. Shows Ikea directly over where the lake is now. They already have a pile of dirt beside it that will go into the lake. The fill was moved there from a man made pond built a few years back on Digman Rd. near Wonderland Rd.

http://penequity.com/wp-content/uplo...ng-Package.pdf

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 6:56 PM

Looks like Penequity can start after this meeting.

http://www.london.ca/business/Planni...pplication.pdf

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 10:21 PM

OMB fight still to resolve it appears before this can start.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 4:12 AM

Thought it was funny that the mayor "announced" the Sail store in his breakfast speech this week, even though Sail was on the map put out by Penequity when Ikea was announced.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 9:47 PM

Just watching the Planning and Environment Committee meeting from yesterday, Monday, March 19th, 2018, and at about 2:44:00 councilor Usher reveals that Landmark Cinema will be moving from their current location near Wellington Street and Southdale Road to this Penequity development at Wellington Street and Dingman Road.

Looking at the site plan for the Penequity development, my best guess would be that Landmark Cinema would be moving into Building D2, along the west side.

Councillor Usher said that Landmark Cinema is looking to make a "more modern theatre".

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 12:15 AM
Sanity merchant

And so it begins.... bit by bit Wellington dies a little more

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 2:49 AM
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by K85 View Post
And so it begins.... bit by bit Wellington dies a little more
Where the current Wellington 8 is? The plaza next door with Chapters has done quite well. Used to be home to Toys R US, Future Shop, Homesense and a aquarium store.
-Now home to MEC, Farm Boy, Canada Computers, Beer Store, plus some other shops. Chapters is like the oldest store there!

Maybe some good will come to the Wellington 8 plaza too!

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 1:58 PM
The Vomit Bag.

First Downtown, then Westmount, then Wellington, and soon, White Oaks.

The great emptying of city retail, to build big box barf, at a time when retail is rapidly shifting online. Multiple nails in the coffin.

Nothing changes here. 80s mindset.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 2:50 PM

I'm personally not to concerned with plazas emptying in one area if the cities developers are thinking about building residential on those plazas that are empting. It happens in Toronto all the time. Even in London now with Smart center's plaza in the north beside lowes, Westmount Mall, Mall at Oxford and Wonderland and so on.

The downtown will fill up as more towers are built down there.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 2:55 PM

Bentall Kennedy just sold Westmount. Wouldn't be surprised if they sold White Oaks as well, and cannibalized it for this new development.

Not at all happy to hear Landmark wants to move down to this new plaza though. That's my family's go to theatre, although Westmount has moved back on to the list with their recent renovations. But the last thing I ever plan to do is go anywhere near that new plaza on a weekend to see a movie.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 3:07 PM

I would say this new theater would look similar to Landmark cinemas 10 Waterloo at the boardwalk plaza. It's a newer landmark theater in Waterloo in a big box development.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 5:35 PM

Probably makes sense for them to do that, since those theatres are at least double the size of the ones currently in London. Still, it's going to be so busy over there I want nothing to do with it lol

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 5:44 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserLDN View Post
I'm personally not to concerned with plazas emptying in one area if the cities developers are thinking about building residential on those plazas that are empting. It happens in Toronto all the time. Even in London now with Smart center's plaza in the north beside lowes, Westmount Mall, Mall at Oxford and Wonderland and so on.

The downtown will fill up as more towers are built down there.
London is not Toronto. Have you seen Westmount mall?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 5:45 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserLDN View Post
I would say this new theater would look similar to Landmark cinemas 10 Waterloo at the boardwalk plaza. It's a newer landmark theater in Waterloo in a big box development.
I am so glad they picked a place so far outside of town that you almost need to fly there. Negligible transit, zero residential nearby....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates