HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Sep 20, 2013, 7:09 PM

That building looks amazing! I wish I could be there to experience it.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2013, 7:19 PM

Nice night photos Sawtooth.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2013, 10:54 PM
Closed account

8th&Main Tower

9-20-13 photos:

Old Posted Sep 21, 2013, 2:55 AM
Closed account

8th&Main Tower

9-20-13 web cam pics of lights on the building

Old Posted Sep 21, 2013, 3:09 AM
All man. Half nuts.

is it me, or does the spire look eerily like the Idaho Falls LDS temple?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2013, 4:03 AM
Closed account

LED lights

Project engineer told me LED shade fins have BLUE lights, and they hope in 2 weeks to fire them up.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2013, 4:16 AM

I haven't been chiming in a lot lately, but I have to say--I am not LDS--that there does seem to be some inspiration in this new tower, perhaps unintentional, from temples and other buildings which serve the Church. But it doesn't bother me; these elements certainly don't hurt the building's curb appeal, and basically the only issue I take with heavy Mormon presence in Idaho is voting trends that will likely postpone progress toward marriage equality. This is awfully political for a post on this thread, so I hope nothing I've said is taken too seriously. I'll go back into hiding now

Old Posted Sep 21, 2013, 4:59 AM

KidBoise, with regards to architecture. The design of buildings is influenced by the culture of the region it is built in. If areas like Boise have high Latter Day Saints (LDS) populations, it is very likely that this will be a factor in what is considered appealing. I for one think the build is very appropriate in design especially for the area it is in (which you stated you too approve)

as for the rest of your statement...or the basis of your statement which used the Design of the structure to introduce the topic of LDS influence in Marriage rights in that state...I say this as a Gay and LDS individual, There are appropriate forums for such discussions. This specific one is not the best. However, if you feel the conviction to introduce the Gay marriage topic, do so with the intent to use it as an opportunity to create discussion and awareness, rather than abandon the topic you introduced by going back in hiding. Idaho and Utah might be one of the last states that will hold out on the issue, but we can't open people minds if your hiding. People don't like change, but change happens anyways. :-)

Old Posted Sep 21, 2013, 4:03 PM
dance till you drop

I have been quietly watching this buildings rise from the ever so long empty pit (former longtime Boise resident) oh how i hated that empty space downtown and so glad for Boise to see it filled.
Now here is my 2 cents worth, i think the building is a bit to flashy for being only 18 floors sort of like a cowboys truck with balls and a cowbell on the bumper, also the sign is WAY 2 BIG i remember when the US Bank had a massive sign back when it was west one bank and when Key Bank had a sign that took up the hole side of the building when it was the Bank of Idaho so glad they went smaller.
I do However i do think this new tower frames the old US Bank building and makes it stand out better.
i guess that old building will always have my heart,,,
congrats Boise ( I Miss You )

Last edited by whovean; Sep 21, 2013 at 8:22 PM.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2013, 10:29 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPdesign View Post
KidBoise, with regards to architecture. The design of buildings is influenced by the culture of the region it is built in. If areas like Boise have high Latter Day Saints (LDS) populations, it is very likely that this will be a factor in what is considered appealing. I for one think the build is very appropriate in design especially for the area it is in (which you stated you too approve)

as for the rest of your statement...or the basis of your statement which used the Design of the structure to introduce the topic of LDS influence in Marriage rights in that state...I say this as a Gay and LDS individual, There are appropriate forums for such discussions. This specific one is not the best. However, if you feel the conviction to introduce the Gay marriage topic, do so with the intent to use it as an opportunity to create discussion and awareness, rather than abandon the topic you introduced by going back in hiding. Idaho and Utah might be one of the last states that will hold out on the issue, but we can't open people minds if your hiding. People don't like change, but change happens anyways. :-)
The LDS influence in Boise is minimal. For example, there are no LDS chapels in the downtown area or historic residential neighborhoods that surround downtown. There are a few on the outskirts of the Northend and Eastend but there are several historic church buildings and cathedrals for other Christian religions in downtown and the Northend. Boise is a level headed city to live in.

Regionally, Utah and Eastern Idaho are areas where the LDS population is much more dominant.

Boise Beer Week begins today, time to head back downtown. The block at 6th and Main is closed down for Old Boise Oktoberfest. Cheers.

Sorry if I am cluttering this thread with more photos, but I had my camera with me downtown this cloudy morning and yeah.

Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Last edited by Sawtooth; Sep 22, 2013 at 12:30 AM.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2013, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boisebro View Post
is it me, or does the spire look eerily like the Idaho Falls LDS temple?
It more so looks to me like Zions Bank is giving USB the finger.

Awesome pics Sawtooth and Architecture Buff! Love the night pics.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2013, 11:16 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

unpremeditated Sunday afternoon recovery antics @ State & 25th.

Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted Sep 24, 2013, 7:39 PM

Looking good from State Street. Thanks for the photos.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2013, 10:51 PM
Let's Go Brandon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPdesign View Post
There are appropriate forums for such discussions...but we can't open people minds...
I agree that politics should be kept out of this forum/thread, so I will keep my reply as non-political as possible.

Being opposed to something doesn't necessarily mean you are closed-minded about the subject.

For example, I oppose communism. Does that make me closed-minded about communism?

I think not.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2013, 2:19 PM

Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 1:38 AM

Shiny new tower on cold wintry feeling day.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 7:02 AM
Closed account

8th&Main Tower

Web cam photo of new LED lights:

Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 11:03 PM
Closed account

Tower Crane

Starting Sep 30th tower crane will start coming down, and they should be finished by the end of the week.

Source: Project Engineer

Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 11:28 PM

Notice the dramatic difference in lighting between Zion's & the Hoff bldg. in the background. Cold crystal white vs. warm yellow.

I wonder if I could get my name in lights if I lease a couple floors: SOCKEYE

Old Posted Sep 28, 2013, 12:32 AM
Certified Idahoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architecture Buff View Post
Starting Sep 30th tower crane will start coming down, and they should be finished by the end of the week.

Source: Project Engineer
Looks like they already removed the little house around the base of the crane...wonder why that is if they aren't going to start teardown till Monday

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West