HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 6, 2007, 1:51 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

The Jets Whiteout lives on..(in Youtube of course)

A good friend of mine sent me this home video footage of the last Jet's home game. It brought back a lot of fond hockey memories for me and i'm sure the rest of you Jets fans out there will appreciate it.

Jets Whiteout Footage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm6pMT51EGM

The whiteout was a pretty awe inspiring force, i've never really seen anything quite like it since, save for the Red mile in Calgary.

CBC News story (Last Jets Game)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1zBZPyZIJ8

Last edited by Only The Lonely..; Mar 6, 2007 at 2:30 AM.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2007, 2:14 AM
Build'em high!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
A good friend of mine sent me this home video footage of the last Jet's home game. It brought back a lot of fond hockey memories for me and i'm sure the rest of you Jets fans out there will appreciate it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm6pMT51EGM

The whiteout was a pretty awe inspiring force, i've never really seen anything quite like it since, save for the Red mile in Calgary.

CBC News story (Last Jets Game)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1zBZPyZIJ8
I remember those days of the Whiteout. Very impressive.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2007, 2:41 AM
Change is good

Wow, thats more impressive then this

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 6, 2007, 3:10 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Sorry, this was just too rich an opportunity to pass up. I don't want this thread to degenerate into another great Winnipeg, Hamilton, Houston NHL debate.

However, I do love watching the Coyotes fail.

Quote:
Coyotes' incompetence reaches an absurd level
Dan Bickley
The Arizona Republic
Mar. 2, 2007 12:00 AM

Dan Bickley
The Arizona Republic
Mar. 2, 2007 12:00 AM

The Coyotes wear two masks. They are comedy and tragedy. They are the Cardinals in ice skates, and that might be insult to the Bidwill family.

They are going to miss the playoffs and finish with a losing record for the fourth consecutive season. If you trace footprints back to Winnipeg, you'll find they haven't won a playoff series in 20 years.

In the NHL, which allows 53 percent of its teams to make the playoffs, that's just absurd. And now - six years after the great Wayne Gretzky was ceremoniously hailed for saving the franchise - this wobbly operation is going in yet another new direction. advertisement

Somebody better check to see if they have been using Jack Sparrow's compass.

"I think we've overcome a lot of obstacles that were in our way when we arrived in Phoenix," Coyotes General Manager Mike Barnett said. "And we're now at the point where the plan is very clear. And we're already a couple of steps under way."

Don't laugh. The F.O.G. that surrounds this hockey club - Friends of Gretzky - honestly believe the Stanley Cup is lurking around the corner. Why, just look for yourself. They have a great blue line, a solid goaltending tandem, some nice young players and a suitcase full of draft picks (three first-round picks and four second-round picks in the next two years).

All of that might be true. Except it's not at all what outsiders see when glancing at the wreckage of another lost season.

They see an owner who can't fire the coach because the coach also is an owner, not to mention the greatest name in NHL history. And yet in this soap opera, the coach could actually fire the general manager, which he won't, because Gretzky and Barnett are really good friends. The stink of cronyism is in the air, and now that Jeremy Roenick is in the doghouse and Georges Laraque has been sent packing, all this talk of a bright future rings mighty hollow.

"I feel bad for ownership, for the fan base, for everyone that had high expectations," Barnett said. "But in the same sense, we think if you look throughout the roster, a lot of very important pieces are in place."

Ah, but there's a huge credibility problem standing in their path. After all, this group also touted the free-agent signings of Tony Amonte, Sean O'Donnell and Petr Nedved. While the rest of the NHL focused on youth and speed, this group brought in Brett Hull, Mike Ricci and Roenick.

Either these cold-weather creatures come here and suddenly go soft in the sun or the front office whiffed badly. Meanwhile, from 1996-2004, the scouting department did little to help the organization.

In that span, the Coyotes had 10 first-round picks, including the curious selection of Blake Wheeler, an 18-year-old tabbed with the fifth overall pick in 2004, even though most others had Wheeler going in the later rounds. Of all those players, only Daniel Briere and Fredrik Sjostrom have turned out to be NHL worthy.

And today, few things hurt worse than watching Briere shine in Buffalo, in the new rules NHL, while the player he was traded for (Chris Gratton) no longer is here.

"Where we've really suffered is in not having many of those top draft picks pan out," said Barnett, claiming that the scouting department has been overhauled and is changed for the better. "What happens then is, you don't have the push from below to make the players at the top feel pressure to perform. You don't have the players with the ability to come in and fill temporary holes when you sustain injuries at the top level. It really has a big effect on the big club.

"As for the Briere trade, it's easy to figure out which organization got the better of that single transaction. But Gratton was then parlayed in a subsequent deal for (Keith) Ballard and (Derek) Morris . . . so it's not all doom and gloom around here."

Maybe not, but at some point, the calls for patience and new beginnings begin to go down like warm cups of $8 beer, and the fans decide they have had enough.

For the Coyotes, that moment has arrived.

Quote:
Yotes throw in the towel on another sad season

John Gambadoro
Special for azcentral.com
Mar. 2, 2007 10:22 AM

It's quite sad what has happened to the Phoenix Coyotes. Once a contending team that was exciting on the ice and possessing some marquee players fans identified with, the Yotes have become a laughingstock. With the fire sale that saw them jettison Georges Laraque, Yanic Perreault and Oleg Saprykin a week after they traded Ladislav Nagy, the Coyotes have officially waived the white flag on another disappointing season.

The Coyotes are attempting to cut some losses on a season that is a financial disaster. A team source said that before the trades, the Coyotes were projected to lose about $30 million this season. Laraque sealed his fate during the Nashville game when he got into a nasty verbal confrontation with assistant coach Barry Smith on the bench. Laraque was not well liked or respected in the lockeroom but neither is Smith, who is over his head as a top assistant and has too much authority.

With financial losses mounting it may be difficult for Phoenix to be a big player in free agency. Last season it spent big on defenseman Ed Jovanovski, a move that clearly has not paid dividends, and took the lightning-in-the-bottle approach in signing Owen Nolan, Jeremy Roenick, Perreault and Laraque. The Coyotes may look to go young and keep the payroll at close to $30 million next season.

The Suns failed to complete the perfect road season against the Eastern Conference, dropping their final roadie to Philadelphia, but by giving Shawn Marion a day off it's easy to understand where Mike D'Antoni's thoughts are - and that is on the big picture of an NBA championship. There is no reason for Phoenix to try to chase Dallas for the best record in the NBA - it's not going to catch the Mavericks.

And it hardly matters. Both Dallas and Phoenix are quite capable of winning on the other's home court. Playing a Game 7 on the road may have affected teams like the Clippers and Lakers last year, but it won't faze the Suns. If any of the regulars need a day off to rest or to heal an injury, he will get it. Nash got all the time he needed to come back from his back injury, and the same is going on right now with Boris Diaw.

It's interesting to note that going into the 76ers game the Suns were 14-0 vs the East on the road, but three of those games nail-biters:

Game 17 - Phoenix beat New Jersey, 161-157, in double overtime as Steve Nash scored 42 points and had 13 assists. Nash hit a three-pointer at the end of regulation to force overtime and Boris Diaw's hook shot over Jason Kidd at the end of the second overtime won it. There were 34 lead changes and 21 ties in the game.

Game 30 - Phoenix beat Chicago, 97-96, when Leandro Barbosa hit a three-pointer with 1.5 seconds left. Ben Gordon had hit two free throws with 5.5 seconds left to give the Bulls a 96-94 lead before Barbosa's heroics. Down 92-89, Diaw had hit a big three-pointer to tie the score.

Game 31 - Phoenix beat Toronto, 100-98. In a game it led at one point by 17, the Suns needed 13 points from Steve Nash in the fourth quarter to hold off the Raptors.

Some early thoughts from Tucson after the first game of spring training:

1) With most of the veterans who are set in their ways now playing elsewhere, the Diamondbacks are attempting to mold the youngsters into a team that shows patience at the plate. That was evidenced by the eight walks the team drew against the White Sox Thurdsday.

2) Connor Jackson threw away a potential double-play grounder when he fielded a ball at first base and made an errant throw to second. Jackson is a converted outfielder and needs more work on that one specific play. The Diamondbacks did look shaky on defense as Jackson made an error, Orlando Hudson bobbled a few grounders and made an error, and Stephen Drew had the ball come out of his glove trying to finish a double play.

3) Catcher Miguel Monterro is a vocal leader behind the plate and will push Chris Snyder this season for the starting job.

John Gambadoro is freelance columnist who writes for azcentral.com. Reach Gambo at jgambadoro@cox.net

Last edited by Only The Lonely..; Mar 6, 2007 at 3:21 AM.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2007, 3:20 AM

Just for the record, that "WHITEOUT" wasn't a playoff game ... it was in April 1995, and what was suppose to be the Jets last home game (they missed the playoffs that year) ...

As it turned out, their sale to Minnesota fell through, and the Jets were sold to Phoenix ... giving them one more lame duck season in Winnipeg. The next year, the Jets did make the playoffs and lost in 6 games to Detroit.

To see TRUE "WHITE NOISE" - you have to see some playoff footage.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2007, 3:41 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
Considering that the Whiteout was a direct copy (other than the colour) of the
"C" of Red in Calgary (which then begat the Red Mile), that makes sense.

Oh, and the Penguins are REALLY SERIOUS about leaving this time. Let the Save The Jets rumours begin round #487!

Edit: man, I forget just how lame (and awesome!) that scoreboard was. Watching that video reminds me of just how optimistic we all were in 1996. No one REALLY believed the NHL would be gone long. People might have said it, but it just felt like a short hiatus.

Going to the final game in the old Arena really made it sink in for most people. An incredibly emotional night.

Oh, and that footage can't be of a game in 1995 - the fans clearly have "1972-1996" on their t-shirts.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2007, 3:42 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Oh, and the Penguins are REALLY SERIOUS about leaving this time. Let the Save The Jets rumours begin round #487!
I knew it!

Old Posted Mar 6, 2007, 3:45 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Interesting..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
The Winnipeg White Out is a hockey tradition that dates back to 1985 when hockey fans in Winnipeg were asked to wear white clothing to home playoff games in Winnipeg, creating a very intimidating effect and atmosphere. It was created as a response to the "sea of red" created by fans of the Calgary Flames, whom the home town Winnipeg Jets were facing in the first round of the playoffs. The Jets would eliminate the Flames in four games, and fans wore white for every playoff game since. Fans coined it the "White Out".

The tradition has since been carried on in Phoenix, where the Jets relocated in 1996 to become the Phoenix Coyotes.

Several other teams have since tried to replicate the success of this tradition. The Philadelphia Flyers gave away orange t-shirts to create an "orange crush" against their semi-final opponent, the Tampa Bay Lightning, who countered with a white out of their own.

Among other teams, Anaheim Mighty Ducks fans have also attempted the White Out, along with fans of the Buffalo Sabres in the 2006 Stanley Cup Playoffs. The Los Angeles Kings attempted to produce a "black out" - requesting all their fans wear black to playoff games - but this backfired, as it had the opposite effect of making the arena appear more empty than full!

The tradition is also prevalent in other sports, as the student section at Penn State's Beaver Stadium held a white out during the nationally televised football game between Penn State and Ohio State in October 2005.

The Miami Heat of the NBA held White Outs throughout the playoffs during their championship run in 2006.

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winnipeg_White_Out"

Old Posted Mar 6, 2007, 3:55 AM
DRINK

Quote:
The Winnipeg White Out is a hockey tradition that dates back to 1985 when hockey fans in Winnipeg were asked to wear white clothing to home playoff games in Winnipeg, creating a very intimidating effect and atmosphere. It was created as a response to the "sea of red" created by fans of the Calgary Flames, whom the home town Winnipeg Jets were facing in the first round of the playoffs. The Jets would eliminate the Flames in four games, and fans wore white for every playoff game since. Fans coined it the "White Out".

The tradition has since been carried on in Phoenix, where the Jets relocated in 1996 to become the Phoenix Coyotes.

Several other teams have since tried to replicate the success of this tradition. The Philadelphia Flyers gave away orange t-shirts to create an "orange crush" against their semi-final opponent, the Tampa Bay Lightning, who countered with a white out of their own.

Among other teams, Anaheim Mighty Ducks fans have also attempted the White Out, along with fans of the Buffalo Sabres in the 2006 Stanley Cup Playoffs. The Los Angeles Kings attempted to produce a "black out" - requesting all their fans wear black to playoff games - but this backfired, as it had the opposite effect of making the arena appear more empty than full!

The tradition is also prevalent in other sports, as the student section at Penn State's Beaver Stadium held a white out during the nationally televised football game between Penn State and Ohio State in October 2005.

The Miami Heat of the NBA held White Outs throughout the playoffs during their championship run in 2006.

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winnipeg_White_Out"
I find Kansas City's orange during Chief games the most impressive. 17 000 for a hockey game is one thing, 75 000 for a football game is off the scale.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2007, 5:11 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
No one REALLY believed the NHL would be gone long. .
huh?...who thought that?

Old Posted Mar 6, 2007, 5:12 AM
surely you agree with me

Old Posted Mar 6, 2007, 5:30 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Nice find. After the last minute of the WHA it wasn't ever really as fun anymore. Don't ever think the Jets didn't beat Gretzky and the Oilers in a playoff series, either.

Quite the leather jacket Andy Arnot has on while interviewing Anders.

Nice to hear an organ at a hockey game again.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2007, 5:43 AM
surely you agree with me

yeah, i loved that organ too....

i hate to call wikipedia on its reliability, but i need some proof that the whiteout was a response to the sea of red...that's not how i remember it.....it was a copy of an unsuccessful attempt by the washington capitals (i think) to do the same thing, who were copying the vancouver canucks and their towel waving thing a couple of years earlier.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2007, 5:49 AM
surely you agree with me

that game in the first post was the one where someone on the ice stole the last puck and they had to use the video tape to find out who it was....it turned out to be greztky!

man, i miss the jets.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2007, 6:19 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49sqg...elated&search=

remember this fight from not so long ago? I know it has nothign to do with the jets, but the jets post originally lead to this... love goalie fights.

As for the jets... Bring em back, all i can say really.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2007, 3:02 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
huh?...who thought that?
Much of the local media, much of the national media, most of the fans...

There was a "Save the Jets" campaign. There was a "let's buy a new team" campaign. There was a "wait till the NHL implodes and we get Phoenix back" campaign.

There were semi-annual media run-ups on the odds of Winnipeg getting an NHL team back. There was talk about a competing league which would eventually overrun the NHL once the "great southern experiment" died. There was talk about legal action to return the Stanley Cup to Canadian teams only, as that was what it was offered to back a century ago. Hell, even Don Cherry (Mr. Toronto) has been talking about Winnipeg getting a team again, and seriously.

You must be the world's biggest pessimist to have actually missed all of this.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2007, 4:13 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

my cousin has a band based out of Kamloops and Vancouver and they have a song called 'Bring Back the Jets'

the myspace URL is:

http://www.myspace.com/garymckenna

they made a video for the song using old Youtube Jets clips and a few other things. its cheep, but it works.

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2007, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
Wow, thats more impressive then this

Video Link
No repeat of that this year i guess eh? lol

Could Winnipeg seriously support an NHL team again? I know everyone would love to see it, but is it seriously viable?

Old Posted Mar 6, 2007, 5:54 PM
the first stamp is free

^ I think that issue has been talked to death recently on this forum. Look up the old threads.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2007, 2:41 AM
visionary

not sure if its viable but when the NHL southern markets collapse and bettman moves on then the Aspers will bring our Jets back.

check this site if u haven't yet to know more about bring back the Jets back
http://www.jetsowner.com

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan