HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 12, 2007, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Personally, I'd love a climate that averaged about 20-25 in the summer, and 0-5 in the winter. Well, I'd take 20-25 year-round, but there are very few places on Earth like that. But wanting it to be colder? Ick. I've spent far too many years on transit to EVER want it colder.
Well, I agree with what Drew is saying to a degree...this of course is personal opinion. I'd have to say that its more than just temperature anyway.

I spent the last two winters in Van, but live in Calgary, and grew up in Winnipeg. Seeing Vancouver hovers between that 0c to 10c throughout winter (+6c Jan average high) the temp is great, but the constant rain I find annoying, and prevents some from really enjoying the outdoors (I will also say, for the sake of argument, my good friends in Van love it because they like walking/jogging in the rain...to each their own).

Calgary's average now of hovering around -1.5c in Jan (official is still -3c), is a nice temp on average, but given half of the days are above 0c, "winter" outdoor activities are increasingly more rare...I miss playing the outdoor shinny that I used to play in Winnipeg (yes, even in -20c). However, the day-to-day life is easier because of milder temps...and there are other outdoor activities to still do. Regardless, I think people just adapt to their climate...Winnipeg didn't seem that cold growing up

I won't say I like -20c either...I don't, and I agree hovering in the +20c range year-round is seemingly ideal, but I also like winter - especially if its sunny, and calm winds.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2007, 6:09 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntotheWest View Post
Regardless, I think people just adapt to their climate...Winnipeg didn't seem that cold growing up
I dunno, it sure seemed cold to me.

I think there's a vast difference between the "OMG it's -5 and now I'm going to freeze to death" crowd (ie: whiners) and "I'd rather it not be -30" crowd (ie: realists). Growing up in Winnipeg, most people seemed to act like both were the same. To me, admitting that -30 IS cold, and can put a serious cramp on your lifestyle, is not being wimpy about it - but that's how a lot of people view it. There's a perverse pride in being able to withstand one of the most extreme climates in the world (which Winnipeg arguably has: -30 to +30 every year). You see the exact same thing with folks that live in hot, humid climates - they think we're insane (and/or wimps) to turn on air conditioners when it's "only" +30 outside. It's not so much a matter of adopting, as getting used to it. No one wants to admit that their local climate is anything but perfection, I find. Most Vancouverites honestly claim that all that rain is awesome and very overstated by the rest of the country.

All that being said, I still enjoy going somewhere that's a bit warmer (like Vegas) in the winter, and walking around in shorts when it's +15 outside, all the while laughing at the folks in jackets and scarves.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2007, 6:47 PM

Quote:
I dunno, it sure seemed cold to me.

I think there's a vast difference between the "OMG it's -5 and now I'm going to freeze to death" crowd (ie: whiners) and "I'd rather it not be -30" crowd (ie: realists). Growing up in Winnipeg, most people seemed to act like both were the same. To me, admitting that -30 IS cold, and can put a serious cramp on your lifestyle, is not being wimpy about it - but that's how a lot of people view it. There's a perverse pride in being able to withstand one of the most extreme climates in the world (which Winnipeg arguably has: -30 to +30 every year). You see the exact same thing with folks that live in hot, humid climates - they think we're insane (and/or wimps) to turn on air conditioners when it's "only" +30 outside. It's not so much a matter of adopting, as getting used to it. No one wants to admit that their local climate is anything but perfection, I find. Most Vancouverites honestly claim that all that rain is awesome and very overstated by the rest of the country.

All that being said, I still enjoy going somewhere that's a bit warmer (like Vegas) in the winter, and walking around in shorts when it's +15 outside, all the while laughing at the folks in jackets and scarves.
It seems cold to me now too...I had to travel to Winnipeg for a winter 3 years ago, and there was a week in Jan/Feb that was -40-ish (-50c with WC), and I was working/staying at Portage and Main. However, when I say it didn't seem that bad - that's all I knew as a kid/teenager and would play hockey outdoors (remember, Winnipeg has a LOT of outdoor games) - even just for fun - in -20 to -30c weather...just dress for it.

While working in Vancouver, I was working with two Americans who had never been in Canada before - one from SoCal, one originally from Hawaii - and they started complaining about the "cold" in November when it dipped below 10c. On the other hand, I noticed a lot of Vancouverites that would still wear shorts at those temps (well into winter)...I'm guessing because they are used to such a small difference in temps summer-winter.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2007, 8:00 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntotheWest View Post
While working in Vancouver, I was working with two Americans who had never been in Canada before - one from SoCal, one originally from Hawaii - and they started complaining about the "cold" in November when it dipped below 10c. On the other hand, I noticed a lot of Vancouverites that would still wear shorts at those temps (well into winter)...I'm guessing because they are used to such a small difference in temps summer-winter.
Years ago I worked at the UofM with a lot of international students. Folks from Africa, the Middle East, South America - VERY warm climates. They wore jackets, scarves, etc in September. When it was still 20c outside. When I tried to explain to them what January was going to be like, they wouldn't believe me.

My favourite Canadian temperature story to share with people from other countries is still this: our outdoor Coke machines have HEATERS in them.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2007, 9:24 PM

Quote:
My favourite Canadian temperature story to share with people from other countries is still this: our outdoor Coke machines have HEATERS in them.

That is good :-)

The cold - even under 0c - is hard to explain to many. I know about the 20c and still feeling cold. Vancouver averages only 23c, so the one from SoCal - who was actually from South Africa - found it quite cool sitting outside while the sun was going down, and the temp was dropping just past the 20c mark...he would say it felt like a nice winter day ;-) Personally, I love it - can't stand +30 type weather (especially humid - like TO).

When I worked in Winnipeg a few years ago, I was working with many Americans from Texas and SoCal as well...and I tried explaining to them the cold we'd endure - they couldn't believe it (the project started late August). One of them actually was surprised it was relatively warm, and there was no snow on the ground (yes, in August!) - these are well educated people, btw. When the cold arrived - as in October under 5c - they thought that was it, they couldn't take it anymore ;-) Anyway - by the end of spring, I think they kinda saw it as a personal triumph, of lasting through a cold winter (though, they all went home on the weekends anyway).

Yes, you're right...cold does suck. But everyone has their own expectations of what cold really is.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 4:21 AM

deleted

Old Posted Jan 28, 2007, 8:56 PM
A long time gone

an article from "the" italian newspaper:
http://www.corriere.it/viaggi/viaggi...a_1.shtml#kmjG

It suggests destinations for winter "wonderlands": the suggested countries are:

- Colorado and Yosemite in USA
- Quebec, Manitoba and British Columbia in Canada
- Finland

It's funny that it makes confusion between Winnipeg and Churchill, and states that Winnipeg is the at the end of the world. It also states that the rail trip to Winnipeg is wonderful... Probably they meant the Winnipeg-Churchill railway.

-------------
"The spider spins his web in the Palace of the Caesars,
An owl hoots in the towers of Afrasiyab."

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan