HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 11:23 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Lumsden, northeast coast of Newfoundland.

Lumsden, NL by CDN Aviator, on Flickr

Beach, Lumsden by Product of Newfoundland, on Flickr

And down in Burgeo, southwest coast of Newfoundland:

Sandbanks Park, Burgeo, Newfoundland by Lady-Nfld, on Flickr

Lumsden actually gets really packed (note the motorhomes in the background of the shot with people) and people swim, even though the water there is cold. There are typically icebergs within swimming distance even in early summer.

Burgeo (and the surrounding Sandbanks Provincial Park) have WAY warmer water but are a little more off the beaten path.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 11:48 PM

Well time to get my homer on . Cobourg's main beach...

Cobourg Beach by l2oni2915, on Flickr

There are other more naturalized "beaches" elsewhere in town if that's your thing. Like this...

Source: https://www.flickr.com/photos/jeannot7/

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 11:54 PM

^^^ Looks like almost no one is swimming because it's too shallow.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denscity View Post
^^^ looks like almost no one is swimming because it's too shallow.
+1

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 12:14 AM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownGuy View Post

Those pictures speak to cold water. Those in the water aren't going very far out.
Oh look, these people aren't going very far out either. I guess that speaks to cold water.

Quote:

"Top" beaches in Canada...

Bluffers Beach in Toronto...not mentioned anywhere, granted it's underrated in Toronto also.

[/url]
Summer In Southern Ontario by Greg's Southern Ontario, on Flickr

Look, the point is not that Vancouver ocean water is as warm; it isn't, and no one has claimed it is (although beaches such as White Rock, Pt. Roberts and Tsawwassen do reach temperatures of 28 degrees). The point is that the water is very swimmable and refreshing on a typical summer day, and that you would have to be a very delicate human being (i.e., a pussy) to let the water temperature play a significant factor in your enjoyment of Vancouver's amazing urban beaches.

Kits Beach:

Photo by janheuninck: https://www.flickr.com/photos/janheu...7630578449314/

Photo by janheuninck: https://www.flickr.com/photos/janheu...n/photostream/

Spanish Banks:

Photo by Clayton Perry Photoworks: https://www.flickr.com/photos/clayto...0054/lightbox/

Photo by Clayton Perry Photoworks: https://www.flickr.com/photos/clayto...0054/lightbox/

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post

You need to walk out about 250m before it drops off. A lot of the beaches along Lake Huron, Lake Eerie and southern Georgian Bay are like that. Great for swimmers that aren't the strongest in the water. my favorite beaches actually have no sand and can be found between Tobermory and Collingwood on Georgian Bay. It's mostly flat limestone, there is little plant life becuase of the lime and the water is as clear as anything. During a hot summer the water can get up to about 22 C.

posted by: http://3.bp.blogspot.com

Just stay away on a stormy day.
from canadaalive.files.wordpress.com

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
This even a serious comment? I mean obviously you just, uh, keep going out until the water is deep. There are people all the way to the edge of the photo. Are there people swimming beyond that? Likely. Shallow sandbars are awesome btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
Oh look, these people aren't going very far out either. I guess that speaks to cold water.
Yeah it probably was. What's your point? Iol. I didn't post that picture proclaiming warm water.

Awfully defensive bunch in BC.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 12:51 AM

Quote:
This even a serious comment? I mean obviously you just, uh, keep going out until the water is deep. There are people all the way to the edge of the photo. Are there people swimming beyond that? Likely. Shallow sandbars are awesome btw.

Yeah it probably was. What's your point? Iol. I didn't post that picture proclaiming warm water.

Awfully defensive bunch in BC.
We love our home, of course we are defensive when people spread mis information.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 12:57 AM

Thanks for the laugh guys, this is hilarious! There should be a new topic every week. This is entertaining as hell.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 4:19 AM

Location: Another great post taking place from the best place on earth!
This is a fun thread to read I agree with Infrequent Poster. I think a good thing to look at is from people to visit Canada. This is a great top ten list from Tripadvisor.
http://www.beachbelievers.com/blog/2...beaches-canada

I grew up in Lantzville north of Nanaimo in British Columbia I spent my childhood on the beach. It is some of the best memories I have. The earliest I went swimming was march 25th it was a really hot day. The beaches in Parksville like rathtrevor as others on the east side of Vancouver island are very warm, beaches.

I think one of the best beaches that has not been mentioned is Savary Island

http://www.thesunshinecoast.com/savaryisland/

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 4:23 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcasey25raptor View Post
Frankly Kelowna beaches and Vancouver beaches are anecdotal anyways the same temperature yet many people on here give me the impression that somehow the Okanagan is much more swimmable then Vancouver.

I find this funny for 2 reasons
1) the okanagan lake is deep thus it's not as warm as people may believe it is
2) Kelowna is known for it's beaches and hot weather yet the beaches there are still as cold as Vancouver's beaches.
3) I LIVE in Vancouver and see the beaches packed with swimmers every summer.

Perhaps the reason I find the water off of vancouver warm is because of a home bias. Just like I find temperatures above 20c to be "HOT" I find water temperatures at 15c to be "Pleasant"

Thats to be honest, my only answer.
Like in Kelowna, when stepping into the water you must tread lightly because it's cold upon impact, But once you're fully immersed, it becomes comfortable.
I don't have the numbers, but I know what my body, and everyone else I know thinks, and that is that Vancouver's water is WAY colder than Okanagan Lake. Like, not even in the same ballpark. How often did you go swimming in Kelowna? How can you even think they feel the same? Besides Wreck Beach, White Rock and Spanish Banks, the water in Vancouver is cold. Very cold even. I'll go swimming daily in Kelowna when I'm there. Vancouver, I won't go in once - too cold, but I'm a self-proclaimed wimp when it comes to cold water.

Where did you find the numbers for water temperatures in Vancouver and Kelowna? I'm curious how the northern Pacific ocean keeps within a degree or two of a medium-sized lake in one of the hottest regions of the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetmountainland View Post
The beaches in Parksville like rathtrevor as others on the east side of Vancouver island are very warm, beaches.http://www.thesunshinecoast.com/savaryisland/
How did I forget about Parksville? I used to go there every summer. Awesome beach, and quite swimmable. I think it's BC's best coastal beach.

http://bcadayatatime.com/2012/03/24/...e-sheer-magic/

http://www.hellobc.com/parksville.aspx

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 4:34 AM

Quote:
This is a great top ten list from Tripadvisor. http://www.beachbelievers.com/blog/2...beaches-canada
This Trip Advisor list has BC beaches in 6 of the top ten spots, with the top 3 being in BC. Wasaga Beach made it to the 8th position. Not too shabby!

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 4:50 AM

Quote:
This is a fun thread to read I agree with Infrequent Poster. I think a good thing to look at is from people to visit Canada. This is a great top ten list from Tripadvisor.
http://www.beachbelievers.com/blog/2...beaches-canada

I grew up in Lantzville north of Nanaimo in British Columbia I spent my childhood on the beach. It is some of the best memories I have. The earliest I went swimming was march 25th it was a really hot day. The beaches in Parksville like rathtrevor as others on the east side of Vancouver island are very warm, beaches.

I think one of the best beaches that has not been mentioned is Savary Island

http://www.thesunshinecoast.com/savaryisland/
I have spent many of drunken teenage nights on Savary Island. I agree it is an absolute gem.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 5:10 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
We love our home, of course we are defensive when people spread mis information.
I think part the root cause of these unproductive exchanges, aside from homerism, is that people build up expectations based on what they are familiar with and have big blind spots everywhere else. It's easy to completely miss or underestimate the appeal of other places because you are evaluating them as a kind of substitute for wherever it is you're from. This seems to happen a lot with Ontario and other places, probably for the same reason Americans have a hard time understanding other countries.

I keep hearing that beaches are just about swimming or sitting in the sun. What about surfing? It's popular on both coasts, year round. Similarly I find the coastal summers are a lot more conducive to actually doing stuff rather than just sitting around feeling lethargic because it's so hot out. The prospect of going swimming and sitting around is appealing partly because of the grossness.

If you get hung up on how BC measures up as a kind of ersatz Ontario you're going to find it lacking, but you'll also be missing the point.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 5:25 AM

Thanks for posting those pictures of the parksville beach Giallo my favorite is the last one with the arbutus tree. Also love the garry oaks of parksville,savory island and Victoria I do not know if the garry oaks grow outside of these areas.

To keep on topic for those whom really love beaches as well as hiking I would recommend these two great hiking trails on the west coast of Vancouver island with some of the best beaches in Canada.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juan_de_Fuca_Marine_Trail
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Coast_Trail

Bamfield has a great beach. Mystic China and others on the Juan de Fuca trail are not well know unless you are local.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 5:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I think part the root cause of these unproductive exchanges, aside from homerism, is that people build up expectations based on what they are familiar with and have big blind spots everywhere else. It's easy to completely miss or underestimate the appeal of other places because you are evaluating them as a kind of substitute for wherever it is you're from. This seems to happen a lot with Ontario and other places, probably for the same reason Americans have a hard time understanding other countries.

I keep hearing that beaches are just about swimming or sitting in the sun. What about surfing? It's popular on both coasts, year round. Similarly I find the coastal summers are a lot more conducive to actually doing stuff rather than just sitting around feeling lethargic because it's too hot out.

If you evaluate BC as a kind of ersatz Ontario you're going to find it lacking, but you'll also be missing the point.
Well said. Honestly growing up it was pretty rare to go to a (ocean) beach to swim. Spent most of my (ocean) beach time partying at night. Swimming was done in rivers or lakes.

Now as an adult in my mid thirties the only time I go to a beach is when there is a storm. (maybe this is weird?) I love watching shit get smashed by huge waves, or waves coming over the road flooding peoples yards, ferries struggling to make their landings etc. You might get soaked and be cold (unless you can just hang out in your car and watch), but for me its more entertaining then sweating in the sun.

So I dont really understand the people saying "THE BEACH IS ONLY FOR SWIMMING AND ONLY WHEN IT IS ABOVE X DEGREES CELSIUS!!"

But I guess being from back east, and only knowing puny non tidal, sheltered fresh water bodies of water. They just dont understand. (tongue in cheek obviously)

Last edited by Infrequent Poster; Jan 28, 2015 at 5:43 AM.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 5:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post

I keep hearing that beaches are just about swimming or sitting in the sun. What about surfing? It's popular on both coasts, year round. Similarly I find the coastal summers are a lot more conducive to actually doing stuff rather than just sitting around feeling lethargic because it's so hot out. The prospect of going swimming and sitting around is appealing partly because of the grossness.

If you get hung up on how BC measures up as a kind of ersatz Ontario you're going to find it lacking, but you'll also be missing the point.

This is a very good point. We all have a homer view no matter what we say. It is like that saying in your moms bathroom that says home is where the heart is.

I must say no one really knows the romantic part of what your love about the beach. As a young child I remember growing up on the ocean shore. I would spend hours exploring looking under rocks seeing the creatures like sand dollar, sea urchins, sea cucumbers, rock crabs, hermit crab, kelp crab, barnacles, starfish. I was lucky enough to have a friend whom had a boat when he was 12 we got as close as 20 feet to a killer whale.

These are some life experiences that someone living near a lake beach would not be able to understand. Not that it is a bad thing. It is just experiences in life that someone whom has not experienced would not understand. I remember walking to the beach with my elementary school to see some grey whales. Interesting enough my elementary school was called seaview.

Last edited by sunsetmountainland; Jan 28, 2015 at 5:49 AM. Reason: beach memories

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 8:39 AM

I don't know why I find it to be the case but I'm sorry, Kelownas beaches are cool to cold.

I grew up there and lived continuously for 20 years. After swimming in the beaches there multiple times every year, it was not common for the beaches to be warm or balmy.

Cool defines these beaches to me, period.

And vancouvers beaches? Same deal.

They are both swimmable but both suffer from what I call various degrees of cold.

Last edited by Bcasey25raptor; Jan 28, 2015 at 9:30 AM.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 9:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
I don't have the numbers, but I know what my body, and everyone else I know thinks, and that is that Vancouver's water is WAY colder than Okanagan Lake. Like, not even in the same ballpark. How often did you go swimming in Kelowna? How can you even think they feel the same? Besides Wreck Beach, White Rock and Spanish Banks, the water in Vancouver is cold. Very cold even. I'll go swimming daily in Kelowna when I'm there. Vancouver, I won't go in once - too cold, but I'm a self-proclaimed wimp when it comes to cold water.

Where did you find the numbers for water temperatures in Vancouver and Kelowna? I'm curious how the northern Pacific ocean keeps within a degree or two of a medium-sized lake in one of the hottest regions of the country.
I can only find the numbers for the beaches around Vancouver. and they average 16-22c in summer and according to anecdotal experience swimming in English Bay, these seem accurate.

"Summer water temperatures for the English Bay Beaches (Stanley Park, Kits, Spanish Banks) vary from about 16 to 22 degrees C. or 60 to 73 Fahrenheit. The later in the season, the warmer the water. White Rock and Pt. Roberts/Tsawwassen beaches are usually warmer especially after the tide has come in, due to shallow water. They can sometimes be as high as 28 C or about 82 F."

Source: http://www.vancouver.hm/beaches.html

I cannot find Kelowna but I remember reading that Okanagan lake averages 22c in august.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 10:18 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Quote:
I don't know why I find it to be the case but I'm sorry, Kelownas beaches are cool to cold.

I grew up there and lived continuously for 20 years. After swimming in the beaches there multiple times every year, it was not common for the beaches to be warm or balmy.

Cool defines these beaches to me, period.

And vancouvers beaches? Same deal.

They are both swimmable but both suffer from what I call various degrees of cold.
We'll just have to agree to disagree, I guess. By mid-July, I find Okanagan Lake to be verging on the border of warm. The only place I find the lake to be unusually cool in mid-summer is around Sarson's Beach. Around Gyro Beach, Bertram Park, and especially around Okanagan Lake Resort (had a summer job at the marina, and was in the lake for most of the day), the water is glorious.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada