HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Hamilton Photos

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 11:29 PM

Downtown Hammerness 1 May 2012.

2. Awesome clock and stuff.

4. New bookstore etc.

5. I’m happy something’s moved in here but it looks pretty lame.

6. I don’t particularly care for themed streets.

8. I don’t remember a time before Rock ‘N’ Tees.

9. No more Le Chinois.

11. Funky façade.

12. A bit of a sprucing up for the Pagoda.

14. How awesome is this? I can’t wait to see the ground floor done.

16. A very well-behaved horse…not sure about the copper.

17. This was always a gay bar ~ don’t ask how I know. Not sure what it is now.

20. A tremendous addition to the core. However, three buildings were lost in its renovation, if I’m not mistaken.

22. Irving’s is closing its doors soon. I once took in my trousers for a hemming and the old man completely buggered them. Oh well, still sad to see him go.

23. Hamilton ‘Shitty’ Centre

24. I love gritty, old buildings but this one gives me a headache.

25. I took this photo because I thought they’d made a typo. Upon closer inspection, it would appear they did actually mean it to say ‘Resortaurant.’ Weird…

26. Ummmm hello? Anybody remember the Tivoli?? Let’s get it fixed up already!

27. Speaking of fixed up. Wicked.

28. The rear end.

29. Next door ~ this old beauty was built for the local Order of Foresters.

30. A vastly improved block.

32. I love this building.

33. After all the time and money the end product is underwhelming.

35. It was hard to get a clear shot with all the trucks blasting by trying to hit that sweet ‘green wave.’

37. Name this alley.

39. My favourite café.

40. A new eatery on James North.

41. Have you ever had to wash your underpants at three in the morning? I have.

Last edited by Dr Awesomesauce; May 3, 2012 at 7:49 PM.

Old Posted May 3, 2012, 12:18 PM

Cool photos. I remember when I used to walk downtown in Grade 8 (in 88) I would come down Walnut and on the corner beside where Modify Your Closet is there was S Lees clothes (suits etc). It always made me laugh that it sounded like Sleaze.

Nice to see Rock N Tees still going. Funny how that was a must-stop place for me in the late 80s and early 90s. It was one of the (if not the) first places downtown to get Doc Martens or Fred Perry shirts and I'd always pick up a $10 poster for my room when I got paid. I remember going there in 2002 or something and seeing the same old English Beat or Madness t shirts hanging in the same place with the dust settling on the shoulders haha.

Hopefully there will be a day when going downtown will be what kids do again or even what I want to do when I want to spend some time browsing.

Old Posted May 3, 2012, 12:47 PM
It's Hammer Time

Thanks for the awesome photo tour!

Old Posted May 3, 2012, 12:48 PM

Some thoughts/questions:

9. When did Le Chinois close? I liked that place.
17. I think it still is a gay bar, but (no joke) you have to enter from the rear.
22. Sad news about Irvings. I've bought a few suits from there, and had many alterations done, and everything's been excellent.
25. I never noticed that it says Resortaurant.
32. Is anything ever going to happen with that building? It's a neat looking thing, but it's just full of boxes.
40. If you haven't been to Jack & Lois yet, stop what you're doing, and go now.

Old Posted May 3, 2012, 3:04 PM

Thanks for the tour

Looks like the positives (renovations, construction, new businesses) are really starting to overtake the negatives (demolition, store closings) downtown.

Old Posted May 3, 2012, 3:47 PM
Hammer'd

Although it's true that the positives are taking over the negatives, I still can't help but notice the sheer lack of people in many of the photos. It's really unfortunate. That shot of the farmers market also looks a lot duller and less lively than the renderings of it looked, but I guess we've already been down that road. More trees really would have helped.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted May 3, 2012, 5:16 PM
Recent Hamiltonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
Although it's true that the positives are taking over the negatives, I still can't help but notice the sheer lack of people in many of the photos. It's really unfortunate. That shot of the farmers market also looks a lot duller and less lively than the renderings of it looked, but I guess we've already been down that road. More trees really would have helped.
The thing about James N. is that it's not really a place for "daytime traffic". The area excels for night life.

My GF was thinking of opening her store there (kids clothing), but there just wasn't enough foot traffic during the day. She opted for Ottawa St.

I'm friends with the guys that own This Ain't Hollywood and they say the same thing; it's dead during the day.

I do hope this changes, as there are some really cool looking shops opening up there (Hansen & Lubbers? Nice...) it'd be nice to see this place turn into a "daytime shopping/nighttime nightlife" area... kind of like Robson or Granville in Vancouver (my hometown).

PS: Great, great pictures!!! Keep it up & post more!

Old Posted May 3, 2012, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgrande View Post
Some thoughts/questions:

9. When did Le Chinois close? I liked that place.
I had a little look and it's still Chinese so perhaps they've just changed the name in hopes business might improve.

17. I think it still is a gay bar, but (no joke) you have to enter from the rear.
Haha...awesome.

22. Sad news about Irvings. I've bought a few suits from there, and had many alterations done, and everything's been excellent.
Aside from Morgensterns, Irvings is really the last of the clothiers that once lined James North. Neighbourhoods change. People don't buy suits like that anymore.

I guess the idea is customers can forego their trip to Mexico and simply pop in for a burrito at a fraction of the cost.

32. Is anything ever going to happen with that building? It's a neat looking thing, but it's just full of boxes.
It's a great building, perhaps because it's so different from others on the street. That block has been fairly derelict for the last decade. There was an arson attempt a few years back that led to the demolition of one building. There's a Chinese/Vietnamese supermarket in that block that few people know exists and a shop called White Elephant. I'd heard not too long ago that somebody had bought the Leon Furs building but nothing's happened so who knows.

I most certainly will. It's got a cool retro vibe going on inside. I believe it's closed Mondays and Tuesdays but I'm not 100% sure.
I'll take some more pics soon if I'm not feeling too lazy. I know people don't come downtown too often and appreciate the tours.

Old Posted May 3, 2012, 8:33 PM

A couple extra pics.

1. Looks like Brownies has finally closed its doors. I always liked it but perhaps it was a bit much for the International Village.

2. From crack house to cop shop?

3. Mills Hardware, The Golden Rail, Adult Entertainment venue…what next?

5. I’m happy somebody took an interest in these buildings. However, I’m not entirely pleased with the outcome. The MacKay building [right] is set to host the new Burrito Boyz restaurant.

8. Must everything in this town relate to Steel?? Let's move on already.

9. This Chinese joint at James N and Vine is being gutted out.

10. Orange Order Hall. I wonder what they'd think about a Portuguese football club operating out of the ground floor space...

12. One of the younger Vranich’s buildings. BTW, has he raped anybody yet this year? We’re almost into summer so…

14. WTF?? Darko must own a stucco business. This is shite…

15. Birk’s clock.

BTW…somebody mentioned the lack of people in my photos and I should point out that I took these pics mid-morning and early afternoon on a Tuesday, so it's not the best time to people watch. Also, I tend to avoid taking people shots; I leave that to people with bigger balls than me.

Old Posted May 3, 2012, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgrande View Post
Some thoughts/questions:

What was that about Irvings? I got a suit there recently, went in a few times and he was always busy.

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 12:12 AM

^I read somewhere recently that it was closing. We shall see.

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 12:32 PM

Just thinking about Irivings, I know he does the suits for the fire department, and I think he does them for the police as well.

I can't believe Brownies survived as long as it did.

Old Posted May 7, 2012, 4:14 PM

Irving's does the dress and speciality uniforms plus alterations and badges/cresting's for the Hamilton Police, Fire & EMS.

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 4:59 AM

My First Post :)

Last edited by thomax; Mar 5, 2013 at 7:46 PM. Reason: delete

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 1:46 PM

Looks great. I really like the roof top garden idea.

I had a look in the front window recently and the ground floor space is filled with food / restaurant items. It would appear it's being used as storage for the Vietnamese supermarket next door. It's a shame.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Hamilton Photos