HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 6:27 AM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rincon...0_Junction.jpg[/QUOTE]

Anyone here wish they never demolished the Embarcadero Freeway? Personally I wish it was still there and was eventually connected with the Golden Gate Bridge. Will they ever build a freeway through the city to the Golden Gate? I guess SF is more of a destination city, not a city you drive through like Oakland.

Last edited by Justbuildit; Jan 12, 2017 at 6:39 AM.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 6:31 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justbuildit View Post

Anyone here wish they never demolished the Embarcadero Freeway? Personally I wish it was still there and was eventually connected with the Golden Gate Bridge. Will they ever build a freeway through the city to the Golden Gate?
This is a troll post right?

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justbuildit View Post
Anyone here wish they never demolished the Embarcadero Freeway? Personally I wish it was still there and was eventually connected with the Golden Gate Bridge. Will they ever build a freeway through the city to the Golden Gate? I guess SF is more of a destination city, not a city you drive through like Oakland.[/QUOTE]

Everyone in SF, except Rose Pak, was delirious with joy when the Embarcadero Freeway was demolished. No one misses it. There will never be a x-SF Freeway to the bridge. The city proposed such a beast in the 50s and it was rejected wholesale.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 6:32 PM

Have you even been to San Francisco Justbuildit? I remember the Embarcadero Freeway. If you'd been around then I doubt you would have made that statement. The only thing the freeway made better was the Vaillancourt Fountain @ Herman Plaza. There was something cool about the way the big ugly fountain juxtaposed with the big ugly freeway overhead. But I'll take the unobstructed view of the of the Ferry Building, open waterfront, sunshine, palm trees, etc. over that any day. Freeway expansion in San Francisco is unnecessary since it's on the edge of the Continent and there's no traffic passing through to get somewhere else. Somehow people have been finding their way across the Golden Gate Bridge without the aid of a massive freeway for 79 years.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 7:03 PM

But the best views were from the freeway! Yes, I do miss driving on the Embarcadero Freeway.

Your comment about the "edge of a continent" is specious. Lot's of demand for north/south travel through SF.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 7:04 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by emanon View Post
But the best views were from the freeway! Yes, I do miss driving on the Embarcadero Freeway.

Your comment about the "edge of a continent" is specious. Lot's of demand for north/south travel through SF.
That land is more efficiently used as urban space.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 7:27 PM

Quote:

Ha-ha hardly think my comment was specious. Maybe in the myopic world of Bay Area micro-realities it seems so but there's not in fact 'Lot's of demand" for N-S traffic through San Francisco. Go compare the traffic numbers and patterns of other California cities before you reply. There's no reason to build a freeway to the Golden Gate Bridge. If you are arguing with that.. good luck.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
Have you even been to San Francisco Justbuildit? I remember the Embarcadero Freeway. If you'd been around then I doubt you would have made that statement. The only thing the freeway made better was the Vaillancourt Fountain @ Herman Plaza. There was something cool about the way the big ugly fountain juxtaposed with the big ugly freeway overhead. But I'll take the unobstructed view of the of the Ferry Building, open waterfront, sunshine, palm trees, etc. over that any day. Freeway expansion in San Francisco is unnecessary since it's on the edge of the Continent and there's no traffic passing through to get somewhere else. Somehow people have been finding their way across the Golden Gate Bridge without the aid of a massive freeway for 79 years.
Seeing as how the Bay Bridge is one of the busiest bridges in the country, not even including Golden Gate Bridge traffic, your comment is non- sensical.

Ever been down 19th ave? A freeway (whether it be underground or above ground) would do a lot for the traffic congestion that backs up the entire peninsula. 19th ave. is the deadliest street in SF for pedestrians because of this. Freeways, when constructed intelligently, are not inherently bad.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 7:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakamesalad View Post
Seeing as how the Bay Bridge is one of the busiest bridges in the country, not even including Golden Gate Bridge traffic, your comment is non- sensical.

Ever been down 19th ave? A freeway (whether it be underground or above ground) would do a lot for the traffic congestion that backs up the entire peninsula. 19th ave. is the deadliest street in SF for pedestrians because of this. Freeways, when constructed intelligently, are not inherently bad.
So what? There's lots of demand to travel through manhattan as well, but it's still not an efficient use of resources to build a freeway running through it.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 8:12 PM

This conversation is dumb. No new freeways are going to be built so why argue about something that's never going to happen?

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 9:54 PM
urbanphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerCarl View Post
This is a troll post right?
Yes, stop feeding the troll/assholes.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 7:17 AM

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by POLA View Post
Yes, stop feeding the troll/assholes.
So those of us with an opinion different from yours are assholes? You're channeling trump.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
Ha-ha hardly think my comment was specious. Maybe in the myopic world of Bay Area micro-realities it seems so but there's not in fact 'Lot's of demand" for N-S traffic through San Francisco. Go compare the traffic numbers and patterns of other California cities before you reply. There's no reason to build a freeway to the Golden Gate Bridge. If you are arguing with that.. good luck.
Read my post again. Where did I advocate for building more freeways?

"myopic world of Bay Area micro-realities"? What does that even mean?

If you're calling for stats about travel patterns in other cities, where are yours to prove your point?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 5:52 PM
BANNED

Quote:
So those of us with an opinion different from yours are assholes? You're channeling trump.
jbi has been trolling the SF threads for awhile. He should've been banned by now

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 7:18 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzaguy View Post
jbi has been trolling the SF threads for awhile. He should've been banned by now
He has trolled other threads (i.e. LA) too. Ignore him and his juvenile mind.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2017, 10:30 PM

I do think a tunnel under Divisadero between Lombard(ish) and California would be helpful for North-South travel. Driving over Pac Heights is just awful. Obviously a muni line is not going to happen. Although I doubt you could ever get a tunnel approved.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2017, 4:54 AM

1/14/17

Old Posted Jan 16, 2017, 5:29 PM

Old Posted Jan 16, 2017, 8:00 PM
Build Baby Build

The west facing side of 181 Fremont (side with the red crane) in the picture above is spectacular. It is like the inverse of the South side, a dark frame and light windows. It is going to look so good. I can't believe SF is getting these amazing buildings all at once.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations