HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 5:40 PM

I have noticed CVS generally looks kind of crappy, they don't seem to care much about the appearance of their stores.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 9:26 PM

Can't remember this small development being discussed. Mixed-use with retail an a 4 apartments going in on this dirt lot at Roosevelt/5th by Artisan Villages.

Just got building permit.

Quote:
THIS IS A MIXED USE PROJECT CONSISTING OF RETAIL SPACE AND PARKING ON THE 1ST LEVEL AND FOUR
RESIDENTIAL APARTMENT UNITS ON THE 2ND LEVEL. SEPARATED OCCUPANCIES.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 9:38 PM

Maybe something along the lines of what they did on the west end of Roosevelt Square, high end townhomes? Hard to make that piece of dirt pencil with four units without them being super high end.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Can't remember this small development being discussed. Mixed-use with retail an a 4 apartments going in on this dirt lot at Roosevelt/5th by Artisan Villages.

Just got building permit.
Awesome, I think Jjs had brought it up a while ago. Nonetheless, great to see that empty lot filled and with retail!

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 11:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
The CVS at McDowell and Central needs to go. Its back faces the street, it has graffiti on the big block walls, and bums and vagabonds are always hanging out at that bus station.
Needs to go? Yes its back faces away from the street, but it is designed with urban form in mind rather than having a parking lot directly on the intersection. Plus, there's going to be hundreds of apartments within quick walking distance so the influx of market renters can definitely turn it around. Plus, a bit of graffiti on the walls is what you see in most every major city in the free world! It won't kill you, man.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 11:48 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtnphx View Post
Needs to go? Yes its back faces away from the street, but it is designed with urban form in mind rather than having a parking lot directly on the intersection. Plus, there's going to be hundreds of apartments within quick walking distance so the influx of market renters can definitely turn it around. Plus, a bit of graffiti on the walls is what you see in most every major city in the free world! It won't kill you, man.
No, I agree with nickw252 on this. It needs to go...or at the least be redeveloped as part of a much larger mixed-use development. Blank facing walls on a VERY prominent corner that is becoming the residential mecca at the North entrance to Downtown. Yes, the parking lot is in the back, but lack of entrances and windows fronting the street is awful.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2017, 11:26 PM
BANNED

Add a door or two, problem solved. Tear it down and wait years for something else. Nah.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 5:09 AM

If it had been demo'd prior to the Tilton purchase, don't you think the corner would have been assembled? j/w. Given the design of the Muse and the Tilton project, I am not too bothered by it anymore.

Yes, the 5th St/Roosevelt project is the one I have mentioned for about a year. Eric Brown's projects have always penciled out and had a great mix of uses. With the superblock Broadstone across the way, it's nice that commercial space is being added as infil. It is indeed a small lot, but the alley has been abandoned and the residential portion is minimal. I used to have renderings...

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
After the great Proxxy development from Tilton, this one is a bummer. Not only is it another lowrise on Central where density is badly needed, it leaves two important corners dead (CVS and Bluefin), while bringing nothing to extend downtown northward. At least the Muse has some retail; Between Roosevelt and McDowell, there will be less than 5 storefronts, all of which will be office except BlueFin. This particular project is bringing 2 "coworking offices" -- why?!? The west side isn't much better after the freeway with the underutilized warehouse and horrific corner office.
I just can't stop thinking about how this project is such an epic fail. Instead of acquiring the parcel on the more prominent corner of Central/Willeta (Blue Fin location), they instead purchase the back parcel @ 1st St/Willeta and knock down a mid-century building (which could've been re-purposed into something cool). What a wasted opportunity...

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 6:29 PM
Modulator

Macayo's is currently being demolished.

Also, noticed that they fixed the fencing at the development at Pierson and Central. So, that's a good sign it is still a go.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
Also, noticed that they fixed the fencing at the development at Pierson and Central. So, that's a good sign it is still a go.
They may have finally found a buyer for the project, the sales website states it is no longer available for sale. http://uptownland-cbre.com

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 11:06 PM
BANNED

New high-rise residential development slated for downtown Phoenix

A high-rise residential development is being proposed for downtown Phoenix after the sale of 1.3 acres of land at Third and Pierce Streets.

Clark Street Holdings LLC bought the land for $6.62 million from Third and Pierce Development LLC.

JLL (NYSE: JLL) Executive Vice Presidents John Cunningham and Charles Steele helped broker the deal.

The land is on the northeast corner of Third and Pierce next to the Phoenix Biomedical Campus and near Arizona State University’s downtown campus.

“Over the past decade, more than $4.6 billion has been invested in downtown’s two square miles. Factors ranging from university campus expansions and light rail to corporate and employment growth have also spurred the addition of all types of new amenities and led thousands of new residents to the area – with a great deal more expected to follow,” said Cunningham.

JLL brokers expect 10,000 new residents to move downtown during the next five years.

The yet-to-be-named project joins a number of new, under construction or planned apartments and condos in downtown Phoenix and the Roosevelt Row area.

Details of the size and scope of Clark Street’s project were not disclosed.

“Downtown Phoenix currently has the highest concentration of employment in the state, with more than 71,000 employees in just a one-mile radius,” said Steele. “That is a very attractive statistic for any developer looking to establish an urban, transit-oriented residential community like the one being considered for this site.”

Mike Sunnucks writes about stocks and financial markets, real estate, government and sports business.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 6:16 PM

Couple more projects in the rezoning/planning process I don't remember being mentioned:

Quote:
Block of single-family homes bordered by 3rd St./Earll/5th St./Cheery Lynn (https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4841.../data=!3m1!1e3) to become 300+ apartments:

https://www.phoenix.gov/pddsite/Documents/Z-12-17.pdf
Quote:
6 story mixed use planned nearby for vacant lots at ~3rd St. Ave./Osborn (https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4859...ata=!3m1!1e3):

https://www.phoenix.gov/pddsite/Documents/Z-11-17.pdf

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Couple more projects in the rezoning/planning process I don't remember being mentioned:
Wow. This is fantastic to see. I was wondering how things would work once you start getting away from central and into single family home neighborhoods. Good to see developers successfully purchasing groups of homes to add density east of 3rd st!

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 9:11 PM

He has seven parcels left to acquire before he owns all of the land in the proposal.

Take a look at the NWC of Grand and Roosevelt for an example of what the developer has done, it's an old hotel that was turned into artist apartments with studios on the ground floor.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 7:36 PM

Quote:
I often drive through this neighborhood (the one bound by Earll Dr. and Flower st/ 5th and 3rd st) and it always invites me to slow and roll down the windows. The classical homes with grass yards, people strolling about, it's a far cry from crush-hour on 7th st and the monolithic offices between 3rd and Central. **Nostolgia alert** I love, love this pocket of "old" Phoenix smashed in between all the concrete and cookie-cutter 4-story developments popping up everywhere. Don't get me wrong, I love this densification/development craze but is nothing sacred anymore? Is everything just viewed as demolition-fodder? Yes, I would like density to spill off Central because I always thought it was funky that there are high-rises and single-family neighborhoods across the street from one another but this might be one development I'm against. Why are delvelopers so adamantly against building on empty lots? Why must dirt lots remain everywhere? Why does it seem many new developments remove with it something old and often with character?

I wish, to the very least, any sort of attempt was made to preserve even a few of these homes and if the residents no longer wished to stay, their home would become small businesses. Coffee shops, bistros, and decorative lights could be stung across the street so some character and intimacy could be retained. Maybe even the asphalt could be replaced with brick pavers. Come on developers, spice it up a bit! These 4-story developments are just the new modified suburbs.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
I often drive through this neighborhood (the one bound by Earll Dr. and Flower st/ 5th and 3rd st) and it always invites me to slow and roll down the windows. The classical homes with grass yards, people strolling about, it's a far cry from crush-hour on 7th st and the monolithic offices between 3rd and Central. **Nostolgia alert** I love, love this pocket of "old" Phoenix smashed in between all the concrete and cookie-cutter 4-story developments popping up everywhere. Don't get me wrong, I love this densification/development craze but is nothing sacred anymore? Is everything just viewed as demolition-fodder? Yes, I would like density to spill off Central because I always thought it was funky that there are high-rises and single-family neighborhoods across the street from one another but this might be one development I'm against. Why are delvelopers so adamantly against building on empty lots? Why must dirt lots remain everywhere? Why does it seem many new developments remove with it something old and often with character?

I wish, to the very least, any sort of attempt was made to preserve even a few of these homes and if the residents no longer wished to stay, their home would become small businesses. Coffee shops, bistros, and decorative lights could be stung across the street so some character and intimacy could be retained. Maybe even the asphalt could be replaced with brick pavers. Come on developers, spice it up a bit! These 4-story developments are just the new modified suburbs.
I like the area also, but those are not the nicest home. They're nostalgic, but not historic or fantastic. There are also a lot of very weird offices for lawyers, doctors, dentists, etc that look like houses in the area. I'd much rather save the homes along 3rd avenue.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 5:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post

Compare the projects done by the locals to those done by National developers and you will see why DT is still so incoherent. MetroWest (Union), Wetta (?; Portland), Eric Brown (Artisan Village and Homes)... these projects all raise DT through quality, mix of the right uses, etc. Meanwhile, Alliance, Baron, and Wood Partners have knocked over the history of a city that means nothing to them and the 4-story overparked boxes don't make up for the loss of things like Canvas, the Bodega 420 house, GreenHAUS, etc. When these giants demo, the city ends up with a net loss and miles of leasing centers.

Midtown seems to have lost all momentum and while LRT means that density in the area is a good thing since it connects to DT, lowrises and infill will never amount to enough to attract urban retail and so it will continue to be a car-based neighborhood. I would much rather see the infill in DT where historic districts don't limit development to a linear path.

For all of the talk of renovations and conversions happening 2-3 years ago, Midtown looks awfully similar. As you said, interesting structures have been knocked over and we wait for generic boxes to be built in there place, even on intersections like McDowell/Central that should have been cake to design right.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 4:42 PM
BANNED

You can bemoan all this development as subpar all you want. Density is the key along these corridors and there are thousands of apartments yet to come on line this year including all those under construction right now. McDowell and Central, as an example, had been vacant for over 20 years and other owners of that property proposed building like four, 30-40 story condo buildings before. Totally stupid and out of scale for the area. Even though I'm not a fan of the surround-the-garage model going all over town, 300-400 people in just that one development will help to urbanize and create a need for retail in that area more than waiting for some iconic structure to be built. Wake the f up, this is Phoenix.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdpx View Post
You can bemoan all this development as subpar all you want. Density is the key along these corridors and there are thousands of apartments yet to come on line this year including all those under construction right now. McDowell and Central, as an example, had been vacant for over 20 years and other owners of that property proposed building like four, 30-40 story condo buildings before. Totally stupid and out of scale for the area. Even though I'm not a fan of the surround-the-garage model going all over town, 300-400 people in just that one development will help to urbanize and create a need for retail in that area more than waiting for some iconic structure to be built. Wake the f up, this is Phoenix.

I agree. At least these apartments are a step above the 2-3 story stucco boxes that were built 10 years ago.

The more residences will bring more retail, restaurants, etc. And as density increases and empty lots are filled up, then we get the cool high rises down the road.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest