HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

The Independent at Main in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Feb 24, 2015, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post

It's a little claustrophobic having a bedroom without any windows. This plan is alright as long as you get rid of the closet wall in the bedroom.
At least there's no hallway in it.
Many units these days have 100 sq ft eaten up by hallways.
Strange fridge placement. I'd expect it where the washer/dryer is (but I guess its next to the washroom pipe stack)

Last edited by officedweller; Feb 24, 2015 at 10:07 PM.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2015, 11:08 PM

Yeah the hallway and flex are a major waste of space for plan B. This is a much smaller suite but a lay out like this would maximize the space so you would have a much larger living/dining area.

Too much dead space...

Old Posted Feb 24, 2015, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Is there not even a solid wall between the bedrooms in this plan? Just the backing of the closet to separate the bedrooms. The living room only has room for 2 people on an undersized couch. Lose the dining room table so you can have a chair in the living room area. Not very efficient floorplans for the most part.

It's a little claustrophobic having a bedroom without any windows. This plan is alright as long as you get rid of the closet wall in the bedroom.

It seems acceptable by buyers these days for 1 bedrooms to have no windows and for smaller 2 bedrooms(one of the bedroom will not have windows) As long as units are being sold, then developers are getting away with this over sized den and calling it a bedroom.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 8:19 PM

Received an email that the project is 75% sold.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2015, 1:12 AM

Regarding not having any windows in a bedroom, the place where I lived in Toronto had an interior bedroom. It was the first time in my life that I had an interior bedroom and it pretty okay, actually. It was quiet as can be, that's for sure. It would have been nice to have a window for fresh air, especially for summers in Toronto, but with some nice lighting an interior bedroom can be superbly relaxing and supportive of good nightly sleep.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2015, 2:35 AM

why would you settle for a totally crap floor plan like that when there's so many other options out there? That two-bedroom is ridiculous. Gotta love a bathroom opening up right into the kitchen and of course a washer/dryer in your kitchen is wonderful. Such poor planning.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2015, 2:38 AM

The warehouse conversions in Yaletown also have interior bedrooms, because of the width of the block and most of them being mid-block.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2015, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phesto View Post
Received an email that the project is 75% sold.
A recent ad is saying that 206 homes have been sold in 4 weeks.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 5:38 PM

Does anyone know how many units are left? I see the showroom is still open... curious as to what they'll do with the showroom as it's quite nice and in a prime location

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 8:16 PM

Latest I read was 216 units sold. That was about 2 weeks ago.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmo View Post
Does anyone know how many units are left? I see the showroom is still open... curious as to what they'll do with the showroom as it's quite nice and in a prime location
Isn't that space earmarked as a Skytrain station? Maybe that can be the concourse level...

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 2:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeowner View Post
It seems acceptable by buyers these days for 1 bedrooms to have no windows and for smaller 2 bedrooms(one of the bedroom will not have windows) As long as units are being sold, then developers are getting away with this over sized den and calling it a bedroom.
Welcome to the Third World, right here in Vancouver. The nicer areas get sold off to any of the global elite who has a bag of cash and the locals get stuck cramming into leftover scraps like this.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Welcome to the Third World, right here in Vancouver. The nicer areas get sold off to any of the global elite who has a bag of cash and the locals get stuck cramming into leftover scraps like this.
Whether an area is nice or not is rather relative. To me, I don't consider West side as "nice". It's just the countryside brought into a city, making it unsustainable and "third world".

To be in the "first world" means either forsaking or trimming the fats that drag us down. It means to be near major transit routes, work, play and the necessities of life. It means to be green, to reduce your ecological footprint. It means to forsake your car and join a car-co-op. It means to be healthy because you walk/bike more, as what humans should be doing instead of constantly having your butts parked in cars. It means to be nearer humanity and have others who can share their experience with you. It means to be living in a better engineered concrete structure that can withstand the test of time, including natural disasters.

So, if that kind of living means being in a smaller compact space, then I would rather go for it.

And to me, The Independent is the first sign of the "first world" brought into the Mt. Pleasant neighbourhood.

Last edited by Vin; Apr 10, 2015 at 9:21 PM.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 8:52 PM

I heard somewhere that over half of the sales were to locals… whatever that means.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2015, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axestone View Post
I heard somewhere that over half of the sales were to locals… whatever that means.
Big difference between people who've been living up to this point in Mount Pleasant, people from Downtown, and people from Langely. All are "locals." I'd be curious to know what the mix is.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2015, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeowner View Post
This is the new norm,where one bedrooms are around 500 sq ft and 2 bedrooms start in the 600 sq ft. I never thought I would see 500 sq ft condos in Metrotown , Brentwood & Coquitlam but it's happening.
and 300sqft in Surrey

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 3:59 AM

I was nearby today and took these shots from Broadway. Temporary green fencing is up and it seems the demolition is just beginning on the building occupying the south half of the site. Hole in wall and stuff being shovelled out.

April 23 '15, my pics

Last edited by mcminsen; Apr 24, 2015 at 4:13 AM.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 4:23 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

can we get a thread rename please ... this project is now called The Independent

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 5:51 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodnorth View Post
can we get a thread rename please ... this project is now called The Independent
Done.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 7:00 AM

The floor plans on this project are terrible. Perhaps many of the buyer purchased two suites to combine.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver