HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

The Mark in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Dec 5, 2009, 11:03 PM
Blazed Member - Citygater

so whats the scoop on the height increase? when does that go before council?

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Dec 5, 2009, 11:16 PM

The DP hearing is on Dec 8th if I'm not mistaken.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2009, 8:28 PM
+

Last edited by Hed Kandi; Oct 4, 2022 at 4:26 PM.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2009, 4:47 AM

Downtown highrise opportunity sells robustly; The Mark, from Onni, will rise at north end of Granville Bridge

Saturday, December 5th, 2009 | 6:41 am

By Christina Symons

WESTCOAST HOMES

To be a landmark — in every meaning of the word — a structure must not only stand prominently within its locality, it must also be capable of pointing the way, figuratively and literally.

Landmark decisions or directives can also signify a turning point for a neighbourhood, or a development company, and sometimes both.

Finally, a structure with striking esthetic or architectural qualities may also be dubbed a landmark, simply for being refreshingly out of the ordinary.

In such context, the new residential address at the base of the Granville Street Bridge should easily earn its moniker, The Mark, in every respect. Word of last Saturday's release drew considerable attention; 20-odd people camped out Friday night for the next day's 10 a.m. pre-sale opening, and by the end of that opening day, 163 of the 214 available homes had been snapped up. (Those remaining homes are priced from $399,900 to $943,900.)

"There are very few gateway sites of this size and type in any city," says Beau Jarvis, vice-president development, for the Onni Group, developers of the property. "We took advantage of every single aspect, working closely with the City of Vancouver and the architects to optimize the location, density and height."

Handily situated at the Yaletown border of the bridge's off-ramp, at the corner of Seymour and Pacific, the rather challenging property even captured stature while vacant, as an attractive community amenity.

As rezoning boundaries pertaining to density, views and the skyline were being explored during the three-year redevelopment process, the developer offered the land to local residents for a temporary community garden. The experiment was such a success it led to urban agriculture being incorporated into the project permanently.

read full: http://www.kelowna.com/2009/12/05/do...nville-bridge/

Old Posted Dec 9, 2009, 10:54 PM

So does anyone know if the height increase passed? I thought the DP hearing was yesterday?

Old Posted Dec 10, 2009, 2:23 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Yes it passed but there was lots of arguing from locals. The city took a lot of flack most of it was deserved. The decision on the changes to Vancouver's turn were postponed though, they took lots of flack on that one too and might even be facing legal action if it gets approved. Seems like the city will be consulting it's legal dept before signing off on it.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2009, 2:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
Yes it passed
Excellent news! This densification will, I think, be a good fit with the planned retail underneath the Granville St. Bridge. Should help liven the area a bit.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2009, 2:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
The decision on the changes to Vancouver's turn were postponed though, they took lots of flack on that one too and might even be facing legal action if it gets approved. Seems like the city will be consulting it's legal dept before signing off on it.
What was the nature of the objections?
Increase in units or density? or height (from Shangri-La residents?)

Old Posted Dec 10, 2009, 3:16 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

The issue I'm sure is the height. They are arguing the city had already approved the previous permit for 600ft and the purchsers claim they were aware of this when purchasing their unit, they did their due diligence by studying the city's own documents. The city is now after the fact looking at increasing the height. Now legally I don't think there is a case on that alone as council is able to change it's mind. I believe there might be a case in that the city would be breaking their own zoning policy for that area if they allow more residential density then commercial density as is being proposed. They might have to adjust policy before granting this rezoning or they would be in breach of it. I don't believe that is something they really want to do though. Law is not my area so hopefully someone who works in that dept might have more insight.

Back onto the Mark, there was a lot of flack about the constant increasing in FSR without any additional public benefit apparently the 37space daycare had already been agreed on when density was 5.0FSR it was then increased a couple of more times w/o any additional public benefit except purchasing space from the density bank. Locals were pretty upset about not understanding where the city stands as it keeps renegotiating upwards after the fact making all previous due deligence by residents uncertain. Uncertainly is not a good thing from a government.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2009, 5:05 AM

I can name three very big public benefits from increasing The Mark's FSR and height.

1. Development Cost Levies.
2. Community Amenity Contributions.
3. Larger tax base.

At a time when the City is in rather precarious financial shape most of the conversation has been about cuts vs tax rate increases. While it will not help us for the next few budget cycles I think a missing piece of the larger conversation has been about expanding our total tax base. All of the talk about NEFC, as one example, omitted the positive impact the proposed scale of development would have for the city's tax base. The same goes for bonusing up buildings with density from the heritage bank, or, for The Mark in particular, simply applying for an amendment to their DP.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2009, 5:14 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

The larger tax base isn't there in residential though, (at least as a positive) as our taxes currently stand it costs the city more money per residence then it takes in from it. If we were talking extra commercial fsr then it would be a valid point.
I won't argue against buying density from the heritage bank, as I know the benefits, although most residents of the city probably don't see the value as much as we do.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2009, 5:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by entheosfog View Post
Like the old lady interviewed on the news last night who lives in Yaletown? She was complaining about the 'fun zone' or whatever it's called, slated for David Lam Park during the Olympics then went on to whine about all the events that take place in park, like festivals and stuff. "And now we have to put up with this!" said she.
Oh my. Move to White Rock already lady!!
That reminds me of the first year of Indy in Vancouver, when the original race course had a curve near the current intersection of Cambie and Expo / Pacific boulevards. Someone panicked when they realised only a block away was a retirement home (Yaletown House, I think). They went to meet with the staff and residents to explain what was happening, and told them that Indy would pay for any resident who wanted to get away from noise & crowds on the Indy weekend.

One resident shot back: "I'm almost 90, and I've wanted to see a car race since I was a little kid. If there's too much noise, I'll turn off my hearing aids!"

A bleacher was set up on the roof of the building with all the bunting & flags &tc so everyone could enjoy the race. I don't know if anyone actually took up Indy's offer of a free vacation away from Vancouver on Indy weekend.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2010, 7:58 AM

They've started digging and clearing the site yesterday. I look forward to this eventhough it'll block my view of the lions and downtown.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2010, 8:37 AM

^ That's the spirit! Thanks for the update.
------
Mods or SFU: seems like the thread title should be changed - the building info page lists the Mark at 41 stories, 123 metres.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2010, 1:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Built Form View Post
They've started digging and clearing the site yesterday. I look forward to this eventhough it'll block my view of the lions and downtown.
I look forward to this only if it will increase my 501 property value.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2010, 4:09 PM
scared of rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post
I can name three very big public benefits from increasing The Mark's FSR and height.

1. Development Cost Levies.
2. Community Amenity Contributions.
3. Larger tax base.
But that is a false argument (one that I hear all the time incidentally). The benefit of expanding the tax base is only realized when it is non -residential development. Residents demand services and infrastructure that actually costs more than they pay in taxes. That is why the tax rate for businesses is so high.

DCC’s (or DCL’s, same thing) are calculated so that the cost of the infrastructure that is needed due to the burden new residents put on the system is born by those new residents. Essentially under provincial legislation the fees collected MUST be the same as the cost of the improvements.

The only real benefit of the ones you listed is the public amenity contribution which allows the City to capture a portion of the “land lift” the additional density creates for public benefits , rather than to make a land speculator more wealthy.

Now, don’t get me wrong , there are a tonnes of other reasons why density is beneficial. And I would love to see the building go ahead at the greater height, but taxes and DCC’s aren’t the reason.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2010, 1:12 AM

Any renderings or ideas of how this one will add to the skyline?

Old Posted Jun 4, 2010, 3:02 AM

So what's the story on the mark? Has excavation actually started?

Old Posted Jun 4, 2010, 7:23 AM

Scroll right for the goodies:

Finished off Patina, RC, Georgia and Capitol as well

Old Posted Jun 4, 2010, 3:06 PM
Community Guy

^nice work

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver