HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 2:01 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Some of the Timmies I count for Moncton are kiosk locations (at city hall, at the Coliseum and at The Moncton Hospital for example). There are several others which are standalone drive-thrus with no counter service.

We still have a ridiculous number of Timmies though. There are three Timmies along a one km stretch of Mapleton Road, two of which are quite literally across the street from each other at the Mapleton/Plaza intersection (one full service, the other in an Esso station).

Last edited by MonctonRad; Sep 18, 2017 at 2:28 PM.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 2:42 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

According to their website, there are 25 Tim Horton's in St. John's, 16 with seating.

That's a lot.

Local chain Coffee Matters only has four. Jumping Bean only has two.

Starbucks has seven. I think that's it for chains? The rest are stand-alone.

Tim's is definitely our biggest chain.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Some of the Timmies I count for Moncton are kiosk locations (at city hall, at the Coliseum and at The Moncton Hospital for example). There are several others which are standalone drive-thrus with no counter service.

We still have a ridiculous number of Timmies though. There are three Timmies along a one km stretch of Mapleton Road, two of which are quite literally across the street from each other at the Mapleton/Plaza intersection (one full service, the other in an Esso station).
Moncton...come for the Tidal Bore..stay for the concentration of Timmies.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 3:11 PM

Seven Starbucks in Saint-John's is a lot. A city the size of Saint-John's will typically have about 2 or 3. Kingston is also an exception, they have 6.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 3:36 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
Seven Starbucks in Saint-John's is a lot. A city the size of Saint-John's will typically have about 2 or 3. Kingston is also an exception, they have 6.
Gatineau *only* has five Starbucks.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 3:36 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
There are seven Starbuck's in Moncton too, and we're 150k rather than 220k.

Curiously, four of the Starbucks are in Dieppe and only three in Moncton proper, even though Moncton is nearly 3x the size of Dieppe.

There are three Second Cups in Moncton too. All I can say is that we are a coffee crazed city......

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 3:46 PM
Mooderator

'What place is the closest to being a microcosm of..'

then you said 'Canada'.

This is where the trouble starts.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 3:52 PM

Sorry to further derail this thread.
Castlegar has one Tims and one Starbucks inside a Safeway for 8000 ppl in city proper.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 3:54 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
'What place is the closest to being a microcosm of..'

then you said 'Canada'.

This is where the trouble starts.
I prefer to say that that's where the fun starts!

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 3:57 PM

I have read somewhere but cannot now locate, an article which stated that ad agencies use Peterborough as their sample Canadian city for tests and marketing etc. If it will fly in Peterborough... I don't know the thinking behind this.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 4:00 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I prefer to say that that's where the fun starts!
If you list a place anyplace east of Dryden, Not valid.

If 'they' list any place west of Dryden, Nope.

St. Boniface.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 4:13 PM

Sherbrooke used to be the only >200k metro area in the country with no international flights nor any Starbucks location.

(Now we got one Starbucks, but still no airport.)

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 5:39 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
The first point you made:

All of your points could easily be made for Kanata as well, except for the fact that Kanata lacks the Francophone angle.
Guys, I am still a bit troubled by this post.

Thinking of an American saying...

"Seattle or Portland make sense as cities that are microcosms for the U.S., instead of, say... Chicago. Except for the fact that Seattle and Portland lack the black and hispanic angles..."

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 8:10 PM

I can see how Orleans could be a microcosm of Canada, but Kanata? (I get that the reference to Kanata was only made to discredit the inclusion of Orleans but still) Other than the missing "francophone angle", I feel like Kanata is just a large, mostly white and average suburb with a business sector centered around high tech development. At least the built form of Vanier and Orleans somewhat manages to combine various architectureal styles that you can find in both Ontario and Quebec (or English and French Canada)

I find that the entire Ottawa-Gatineau area is a microcosm of Canada to different extents depending on the neighbourhood. Vanier, Orleans, Aylmer, Hull and Centretown are bilingual and bear several characteristics of both French and English Canada at different degrees. I would say that Orleans, Vanier and Aylmer are the closest to that microcosm of Canada you will find within National Capital Region. The other neighbourhoods tend to be anglo with a touch of franco or the other way around.

Last edited by le calmar; Sep 18, 2017 at 8:38 PM.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 8:28 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
If you list a place anyplace east of Dryden, Not valid.

If 'they' list any place west of Dryden, Nope.

St. Boniface.
Dryden is now the microcosm of Canada, by exclusion of other choices.

I, for one, welcome our new Dryden-based overlords.

All hail Dryden!

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 8:39 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
I can see how Orleans could be a microcosm of Canada, but Kanata? (I get that the reference to Kanata was only made to discredit the inclusion of Orleans but still) Other than the missing "francophone angle", I feel like Kanata is just a large, mostly white and average suburb with a business sector centered around high tech development. At least the built form of Vanier and Orleans somewhat manages to combine various architectureal styles that you can find in both Ontario and Quebec (or English and French Canada)

I find that the entire Ottawa-Gatineau area is a microcosm of Canada to different extents depending of the neighbourhood. Vanier, Orleans, Aylmer, Hull and Centretown are bilingual and bear several characteristics of both French and English Canada at different degrees. I would say that Orleans, Vanier and Aylmer are the closest to that microcosm of Canada you will find within National Capital Region. The other neighbourhoods tend to be anglo with a touch of franco or the other way around.
I generally agree but Kanata doesn't stand out as exceptionally white - at least not in the context of the Ottawa-Gatineau CMA. It's got as many minorities as Orleans does, though more heavily on the East Asian and South Asian side than Orleans, and less of the more francophone-oriented minorities.

IMO more on topic (a bit) Kanata also has more urbane fineries than any of Ottawa's three main satellite suburbs: the other two in addition to Kanata are Orleans and Barrhaven. Part of it is due to the presence of the Senators arena but moreso I think that it's the private sector that is stronger there due to hi-tech, which brings more significant gobs of money into the community than you see in Orleans and Barrhaven where the federal public service is a more dominant employer and everyone makes 70k-120k, and not much more or much less than that. (I'm exaggerating here. A bit.)

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 4:45 PM
Nashwaaksissy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Macallan View Post
I have read somewhere but cannot now locate, an article which stated that ad agencies use Peterborough as their sample Canadian city for tests and marketing etc. If it will fly in Peterborough... I don't know the thinking behind this.
Makes sense to me, Peterborough is like that in politics too. They've voted for the winning party in every federal election in....50 years?
Fredericton: We're #3! We're #3!

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
Do you get teary eyed, goosebumps, and develop an urge to fight for your motherland every time you look at a particular flag? Whether it's the Maple Leaf flag or Quebec fleur de lils flag? I consider myself a loyal and proud Canadian but it's the lifestyle, the people and land which inspires me, not the flag, a particular nomenclature, or beavers or maple bloody syrup.
Your first line was probably rhetorical and to prove a point, I know but the fact that it's not so easy to goad people into fighting at drop of a hat by waving a flag and telling them "do it for the motherland", is probably a good thing for a country's well-being.

It's wise to question what a person needs to fight for before fighting, as you can imagine from what the history books have shown us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
That is precisely my point. His attachment to Somaliland cannot be in any way construed as a type of mutually beneficial business arrangement.

So what's it based on? Stuff like the Somali equivalent to maple syrup I guess.

I often wonder if the Canadian federation and identity could withstand some truly tough times, as so many of the world's nations have.
Many of the world's nations may have experienced some tough times, but some have come out of it not the same nation anymore. Of course there are also the nations that don't exist anymore, or have now been broken up or merged into new nations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
We both look at the same things, yet interpret them in completely different ways. The Somali equivalent of maple syrup? *facepalm* It was probably his family, the company of people he can relate to and a way of life (lifestyle) that he feels comfortable with which draws him back, imho.
The same goes for people who migrate all around the world. Many are drawn back by their particular human relationships, their loved ones, children, other family and friends still living there etc. Though there are definitely independent immigrants, very few people I'd wager migrate or are drawn to countries without consideration of people they know or personally don't know in a country versus those they left behind.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 1:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Macallan View Post
London has often been a test market too. Tim Hortons introduced several of their current menu items there a year before rolling it out to the rest of Canada, notably the iced capp (1998) and dark roast coffee (2013).

One of the factors in favour of test marketing for both Peterborough and London is local advertising; both cities have local television stations and newspapers that are popular locally but have low circulation/reach outside their local markets, compared with media based in Toronto or Ottawa that are more widely distributed across the province. Of course, nowadays with online advertising it is easier than ever to have highly targeted advertising that can target individual neighbourhoods, but in the traditional media era it was important for test marketers to advertise to only the immediate area where the test product or service was available. Twenty years ago, it was easy to do that in London as the local television station had very high local ratings but had very little spillover to neighbouring markets and was unavailable in Toronto.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 1:20 AM

Quote:
I believe Kingston is down to 5; the one at Princess and Sydenham closed last year. Unless a new one has opened that I'm not aware of. Balzac's has taken its place.

Starbucks in Kingston is so heavily dependent on Queen's students that one of their downtown locations operates on reduced hours from May-August. Which really sucks if you live there year-round and want someplace other than Boston Pizza or the Ale House to go to on a Friday evening.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada