HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 5:37 AM

Question for the forum: I was walking down NE 28th northbound from Burnside, and saw a wooden structure going in directly across from Red Flag on Flanders and 28th.

It appeared to be connected to the existing home there, but with no direct access. It could have been commercial, and was flush to the sidewalk. In fact, the support beams even had a cut to allow for the drooping tree branch to hang over the building unimpeded. Any ideas?

It's right here: https://www.google.com/maps/@45.5257...0140501T000000

Also, I haven't been to that part of town in a while, and I didn't know that Lucky's (on 28th and Glisan) had been torn down. I had a beer there once.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 6:37 AM

This was in the metro reports today, for the Lucky Inn site:

Quote:
New 4 story mixed use building. Ground floor retail with 3 floors of rental units

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 5:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philopdx View Post
Question for the forum: I was walking down NE 28th northbound from Burnside, and saw a wooden structure going in directly across from Red Flag on Flanders and 28th.

It appeared to be connected to the existing home there, but with no direct access. It could have been commercial, and was flush to the sidewalk. In fact, the support beams even had a cut to allow for the drooping tree branch to hang over the building unimpeded. Any ideas?
I was by there last week. It looked very odd up close. It's a single-story restaurant building, per portlandmaps.com

Old Posted Jan 13, 2015, 8:58 PM

Mason Street Apartments, at NE Mason & MLK. Under construction, design by TVA.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2015, 11:34 PM

Here's a shot of the Mason St Apt's from a couple days ago:

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 6:56 AM

NE 7th & Russell latest:

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 7:42 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
NE 7th & Russell latest:

Called it, I knew their original mock up of this building was just something to scare the residents so that when they released the actual design it wouldn't feel as big and be more accepted.

The original massing design.

This being 6 stories, first being concrete and the top 5 being wood frame I am guessing. That actually would make more sense that a shorter building was done for construction reasons. There first massing design would have required the building to be all steel and/or concrete.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 4:09 AM

Quote:
A New Food Lover's Market to Open Next to The Ocean's Micro-Eateries
This fall, Pastaworks will team with local meat and fish purveyors to create the new Providore Fine Foods boutique grocer on NE Sandy Boulevard.

Published Jan 26, 2015, 12:08pm
By Karen Brooks

Image: Allison Jones

In 2012, developer Kevin Cavenaugh took food carts’ entrepreneurial spirit to the next level: creating low-cost, low-risk micro-spaces with indoor amenities. He rehabbed an old Timberline Dodge auto shop on NE Sandy Boulevard, and dubbed it The Ocean. The experiment paid off with a successful neighborhood fast-casual eating complex that houses five miniature dining spots (Uno Mas taqueria to the Sudra’s vegan Indian) as well as Tails & Trotters pig-loving meat shop.
...continues at Portland Monthly.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 5:11 AM
A before E

Quote:
...continues at Portland Monthly.
Oh cool, I didn't realize this building was already up and running. I haven't been up Sandy in a while. Definitely need to take a trip outside of my usual areas to check this new building out.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 5:19 AM
Semi-Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
Oh cool, I didn't realize this building was already up and running. I haven't been up Sandy in a while. Definitely need to take a trip outside of my usual areas to check this new building out.
I don't think it is a new building. If I am reading that right, it will go into the red,white and blue building directly behind The Ocean. It was the building that was going to be converted into an adult fun center by one of the guys from Voodoo Donuts. https://goo.gl/maps/4GBwt

On another note, I walked by The Zipper building up the street recently. The "Zipper" windows look really cool. I'm excited to see how it will look when it is all done, and how those windows will feel from the inside.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 5:27 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
I don't think it is a new building. If I am reading that right, it will go into the red,white and blue building directly behind The Ocean. It was the building that was going to be converted into an adult fun center by one of the guys from Voodoo Donuts. https://goo.gl/maps/4GBwt

On another note, I walked by The Zipper building up the street recently. The "Zipper" windows look really cool. I'm excited to see how it will look when it is all done, and how those windows will feel from the inside.
My mistake, I was thinking of the Zipper. Too many projects going on in the city to keep track of them all.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 7:28 PM

Housing bureau plan in NE article in Mercury

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 8:29 PM

$8 million spent on developing as many as 140 affordable rental homes is a good use of public money. $4 million spent on repairs to owner-occupied houses and $5 million spent on helping people with down payments to buy a house is not.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 2:55 AM

Today in buildings proposed for historic districts, this time at NE 11th & Schuyler in Irvington:

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 6:30 AM

Quote:
Today in buildings proposed for historic districts, this time at NE 11th & Schuyler in Irvington:

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 6:52 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_PDXer View Post
They all can't be winners.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 4:28 PM

Quote:

a little bit of Bethany Village in Irvington. lovely.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 5:24 AM

LRS Architects have requested a Pre-Application Conference for a project described as "Five story housing over sub-grade parking structure" at 3204 NE Weidler St. Presumably Grant Park Village Phase II.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2015, 8:13 PM

Really looking forward to this.

Quote:
The Zipper, a micro-restaurant project from The Ocean developers, to open on N.E. Sandy in March

The Zipper, located at 2705 N.E. Sandy, is slated to open in mid-March. (Guerrilla Development)

Northeast Sandy Boulevard and 28th Avenue will soon be home to another micro-restaurant project from Kevin Cavenaugh and Guerrilla Development, the team that built The Ocean on Northeast Glisan.

Dubbed "The Zipper," the former used car lot will be home to four micro-restaurants, a TBD bar, a "punk rock" nail salon, coffee shop and common dining room for more than 60 people by mid-March. During the warmer months, the dining area will open onto an outdoor patio with fire pits, bike parking and more.
...continues at the Oregonian.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Seven-floor apartment building coming to Sullivan's Gulch

PHK Development's new apartment building planned for Northeast 21st and Multnomah in Northeast Portland.

Jon Bell
Staff Reporter-
Portland Business Journal

Fresh off the grand opening of his Marvel 29 mixed use development in St. John's, Portland developer Patrick Kessi is moving forward with his next big project in the Sullivan's Gulch neighborhood of northeast Portland.

Kessi, president and founder of PHK Development, has planned a seven-floor apartment building on a largely vacant lot at the corner of Northeast 21st Avenue and Northeast Multnomah Street. The building will include 182 apartments, ranging from studios to larger townhome style units, 168 underground parking spots and and 201 bike parking spaces.

"We are really excited about this project and have worked closely with the neighbors who live in the area," said Kessi, who's also the developer behind the planned development of the Wizer Block in downtown Lake Oswego. "They really wanted us to incorporate the history of the neighborhood into the design, so we worked hard to do that."
...continues at the Portland Business Journal.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland