HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 3:42 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
I think it's terrible too, but I was surprised to find that the markets in London are also mostly open only one day a week, and at least one has been viable since the 13th century
To be fair, most London markets are street markets, and don't have a dedicated building. The only permanent one I can think of off the top of my head, Camden, has businesses open pretty much throughout the week.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 4:56 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seconds View Post
To be fair, most London markets are street markets, and don't have a dedicated building. The only permanent one I can think of off the top of my head, Camden, has businesses open pretty much throughout the week.
Somebody on here or on SSC did a photothread of London markets (I hate to call them Farmers' Markets but most seem to comprise a fresh food element among many other things) and it seemed as if all were open only one day.

I strolled through a (closed) Borough Market when I was in London a couple of weeks ago. That's the one that's been around for 800 years. They did have a couple of stands open and I got a sausage and egg buttie at one.

Anyway, it's nice to have a Farmer's Market that's not in the Blackfoot and Heritage cluster.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 5:04 PM

The Bearspaw Market (mostly outdoors, though some vendors are in the clubhouse) off of Bearspaw Road and Crowchild Trail has been one of my favorite markets. Check it out. It's small but really friendly vendors and not difficult to get to or maneover around once there.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 8:17 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
I think it's terrible too, but I was surprised to find that the markets in London are also mostly open only one day a week, and at least one has been viable since the 13th century

The kitschiness of a "wild west" them just grates though- can't just be "western," have to be "wild west." So there'll be prostitutes and gunfights?
You had me at prostitutes

Looks like Al Swearengen will be running the show there

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 8:39 PM
YIMBY

The place that was on this corner beside Deville, seems to be closed, there's been paper over the windows for a couple weeks

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post
You had me at prostitutes

Looks like Al Swearengen will be running the show there
<golf clap>

Here's a NSFW for those who don't know who Al Swearengen is.

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 3:02 AM
Inflatable Hippo

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIGS View Post
Not to mention The Core, Northland Mall, North Hill Centre, Marlborough Mall, Deerfoot Mall and power centres like Westhills, Crowfoot, Deerfoot Meadows, Sage Hill, and all the others I'm forgetting. sooo much retail lol
There are malls and there are malls...

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 3:16 AM
Inflatable Hippo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB Born View Post
Lots of choices if they wanted to not build new...
The issue is just as often lease rates as availability. For the retailer in question they felt they could not make a satisfactory deal at a property they felt acceptable. They then turned to one of their US based landlords and pitched the idea of a Calgary development, which they are apparently running with.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 3:20 AM
Inflatable Hippo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
Would be surprised if it's just west of the city where those RV dealerships and that Alberta BBQ, or whatever it's called now is located.
I don't believe that to be the case.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 7:21 PM
City of Blinding Lights

HAHAHAHA Ramsay! That's an awesome clip!!

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, whadaya have stagecoach to catch!?"

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 11:26 PM
Great White Norf

^one of the funniest and disturbing clips I've seen. and that quote is just

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 3:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post
HAHAHAHA Ramsay! That's an awesome clip!!

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, whadaya have stagecoach to catch!?"
That's one of my favourite lines of all time. Not sure if I could tell such a tale and still enjoy myself.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 1:29 PM

Not sure if anyone has mentioned or anyone has more info, but I heard through the rumor mill (construction workers) that Apple is moving their Market Mall store to where the Tommy Hilfiger was.

SSP y u no let me have image here

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 2:25 PM
not a NIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookermorgan View Post
Not sure if anyone has mentioned or anyone has more info, but I heard through the rumor mill (construction workers) that Apple is moving their Market Mall store to where the Tommy Hilfiger was.
Someone I know who works there mentioned they were expanding the store so I guess that could include a move too.

The Bay is apparently in talks with Bloomingdale's to change some Bay locations to Bloomingdale's.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Can you refresh my memory as to where the Hilfiger store was? I'm sure I have seen it, but I can't think of where it was.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
The Bay is apparently in talks with Bloomingdale's to change some Bay locations to Bloomingdale's.
Statement above is partly true. according to the news articles Bloomingdales would be a section of the existing Bay store. Just for arguement sake, lets say The Bay removed the Furniture and Appliances departments out of the store and put in a section dedicated to Bloomingdales merchandise. What has not been contemplated is transferring entire stores from Bay to Bloomingdales.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 3:40 PM
not a NIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cage View Post
Statement above is partly true. according to the news articles Bloomingdales would be a section of the existing Bay store. Just for arguement sake, lets say The Bay removed the Furniture and Appliances departments out of the store and put in a section dedicated to Bloomingdales merchandise. What has not been contemplated is transferring entire stores from Bay to Bloomingdales.
Thanks for the info. I know there are designer boutiques within department stores, but a department store within a department store seems strange to me.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 4:47 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

What is the appeal of Bloomingdales? Are there brands they carry that the Bay doesn't? Are there Bloomingdales house brands?

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang View Post
Can you refresh my memory as to where the Hilfiger store was? I'm sure I have seen it, but I can't think of where it was.
South end - across from Starbucks.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 6:20 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
This would make a lot of sense. One of the main issues in the current location is the space at the back of the store where all of the tech fixes are completed. There actually isn't a lot of space in the Genius workshop. So the TH location would provide a lot more space for that along with space for storage which is at a premium at the current location.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy