HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 11:45 PM

Thanks for the pics.

Some of those drainage cuts are a bit odd - in the first pic, do they expect water to flow at 90 degrees? I think it'll miss the nearby drain.

I think the alcoves would just have bike racks rather than Mobi stations.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
I think the alcoves would just have bike racks rather than Mobi stations.
I'm thinking a mix of the two.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Some of those drainage cuts are a bit odd - in the first pic, do they expect water to flow at 90 degrees? I think it'll miss the nearby drain.
They expect it to flow downhill. Looks to me like the uphill side of the curb cutout is far enough back so that the water will flow pretty much into the drain. If not, the next drain down will catch it.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 3:10 AM

Wow these all came together very quickly. Thanks for the great set of pics.

I've heard we will see the first 500 Mobi bikes by the end of this month, so it makes sense that those will be Mobi stations, possibly with some regular bike parking.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 4:13 AM

Excellent update. I cannot believe that I have been away from Downtown only for a month and so much has already changed! Keep us suburbanites updated!

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 5:51 AM

Love it! Can't wait for Nelson/Smithe to be finished as well. It's amazing when the City/residents realize that making a few changes to the streetscape isn't so hard/doesn't have to take a year per block!

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 9:29 AM
Vancouver Bus Driver

City crews were at it again tonight on Cambie. Drove by in a 20 at 1:30am and the whole intersection was full of paint trucks and personnel. More pics to come!

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 9:58 PM
ON3P Skis

Rode the new Beatty bike lane from Cambie Bridge/Nelson to Dunsmuir this morning. Almost ate shit as I came around the corner from Neslon onto Beatty as I didn't expect the small curb separation to begin so soon. It looks very similar to just a painted line when you're moving along. Ended up having to go wide into traffic and then cut back in. I'm probably riding faster than 95% of other commuters/cyclists though. In the three blocks from Nelson to Dunsmuir the lane was blocked 3 times. Once by a cab (though he actually apologized), once by delivery truck and once by a City of Vancouver van.

All in all, wasn't really any different to me than Beatty Street was before, although the street being repaved was nice. I am more comfortable riding in traffic though.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenegade View Post
Rode the new Beatty bike lane from Cambie Bridge/Nelson to Dunsmuir this morning. Almost ate shit as I came around the corner from Neslon onto Beatty as I didn't expect the small curb separation to begin so soon. It looks very similar to just a painted line when you're moving along. Ended up having to go wide into traffic and then cut back in. I'm probably riding faster than 95% of other commuters/cyclists though. ....
Were you on the left (north) side of Nelson?
I think they expect cyclists to approach from the crosswalk since the new bike lane will be on the right (south) side of Nelson.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2016, 5:29 PM
ON3P Skis

My mistake. I meant to say Smithe. Cambie bridge northbound, right hand lane of Smithe, turning right onto Beatty.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2016, 8:10 PM

Quote:
The Hornby bike lane has already caused westbound Smithe Street (turning right onto Burrard/Hornby) traffic to back up to Granville street in the mornings. I'm guessing we'll see the same at Seymour with traffic backed up to Homer or Hamilton. The afternoons are going to be a mess on Nelson too with traffic coming in and out of Yaletown.

As someone who commutes on this route every day (by both car and bike), it is my opinion that both of these lanes are a mistake. Smithe/Nelson are the only streets leading to and from the Cambie bridge. Most Burrard bridge traffic still travels on Burrard itself, or traffic has the choice of Thurlow, or a (reduced) Hornby street now. Cambie doesn't offer any other options. Helmcken doesn't go through, and Robson will soon permanently stop at Hornby/Howe. In addition to the effect on car traffic, Smithe is a terrible street to bike on. Westbound traffic has quite a hill to climb and the timing of the lights is set up for cars, not bikes. When I ride the route in the morning, it is much much nicer to turn right on Beatty and go to Robson. Really, that is where the bike lane should have gone. It's already a much quieter street. As for Nelson, it is only a matter of time before there is an accident involving a cyclist coming down the hill with a decent rate of speed, and someone trying to enter or exit Yaletown.

I could not disagree with these bike lanes more. Thankfully, I am moving in about a month and a half-two months and I'll only have to deal with the BS of construction briefly. Although, I'll probably be riding too and from work mostly and taking the Cambie->Beatty->Robson route I already take.
I agree with your objections.

Look at Nelson where 4 lanes will be going down to 3, but factor in drivers turning right onto Richards, Homer etc who will now have to stop and check for cyclists and your down to 2 lanes. God forbid someone's also making the left onto Homer, 'cuz you'll be down to one lane of thru traffic.

All of which will not just slow down traffic but increase vehicle emissions as they clog up the streets. It's not about reducing GHG, just more Green Theatre from Gregor & Vision.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2016, 8:12 PM

I noticed that they painted the new lines/lanes on Nelson

That new bike lane along Nelson sure caused some congestion today at rush hour.

Last edited by domusile; Jun 7, 2016 at 4:20 AM.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 5:10 AM

Images from Today

Beatty and Pender looking south

Nelson and Homer looking west

Nelson looking towards the Cambie Bridge

Beatty looking north towards Pender. You can see the mixing zone

It looks like they're almost done with Nelson and Beatty Street. It seems like their solution to the right turning vehicles on Nelson is to make the bike lane as narrow as possible to accommodate right turning vehicles. It's not ideal as it doesn't give a lot of freedom for left turning bikes, but I guess it's better than the mixing zone. Hopefully they'll add cycling lights in the future that allow this.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 9:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domusile View Post
I noticed that they painted the new lines/lanes on Nelson

That new bike lane along Nelson sure caused some congestion today at rush hour.
It was awful leaving downtown Monday. It took at least 15 minutes to go from Burrard to the bridge on Nelson. I don't know if it has ever taken me more than 5 minute in my entire life.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
I agree with your objections.

Look at Nelson where 4 lanes will be going down to 3, but factor in drivers turning right onto Richards, Homer etc who will now have to stop and check for cyclists and your down to 2 lanes. God forbid someone's also making the left onto Homer, 'cuz you'll be down to one lane of thru traffic.

All of which will not just slow down traffic but increase vehicle emissions as they clog up the streets. It's not about reducing GHG, just more Green Theatre from Gregor & Vision.
<insert a thousand "likes">

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 6:45 PM

Thanks for the pics!

A few more pics taken by me today.

The Nelson bike lane starts at Richards.
There are no bike lane markings on Nelson west of Richards.
You can see where the bike box for the left turn will be.
Note the knocked down orange pylons - I wonder if some cars hit them and the new curb?

At Homer, note that parking is still permitted in the north side curb lane.
There are only 2 through lanes, new right turn lane and no proper left turn lane (could cause backups since there's a lot of pedestrians)
East of Homer, Nelson has 3 through lanes.

Right turn into Yaletown at Mainland.
3 through lanes, 1 right turn lane.
Left turns from one of the through lanes.

Right turn onto Cambie.
3 through lanes, 1 right turn lane.
Left turns from one of the through lanes.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 9:11 PM
ON3P Skis

The right hand turn lanes are quite narrow. Many cars backing up have been intruding into the thru-lanes. Having the nice wide bike lane narrows at the intersection is also a curious choice. I mean, I understand why they did it, they had to fit a bike lane and a turning lane in, but forcing bikes going down the hill into that narrow section seems dangerous. Especially if your typical Vancouver driver doesn't shoulder check on that right hand turn.

I can't believe I'm saying this but at least the Hornby/Dunsmuir lanes either banned right turns or instituted right-hand turn lights/signals. The small curb also isn't very visible and would be wholly insufficient should a car not see it and want to make a turn.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPhil View Post
It was awful leaving downtown Monday. It took at least 15 minutes to go from Burrard to the bridge on Nelson. I don't know if it has ever taken me more than 5 minute in my entire life.
I think the traffic will adjust in time. People will adjust their behaviour to avoid the congestion by either driving at a different time, using a different route, or using a different mode.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 9:53 PM

Quote:
... The small curb also isn't very visible and would be wholly insufficient should a car not see it and want to make a turn.
That's why I pointed out the knocked over pylon. I think a car came down Nelson and rammed into the curb.

I think taller pylons like the ones used on Railway Ave / Granville Ave in Richmond would have been a better choice.
But maybe they'll install a pylon at the end of each curb (?) instead of a "go around" sign.

http://www.bikeplanet.org/bicycle-ad...icycle-system/

This may be what we're getting instead (Laurier Ave, Ottawa):

http://www.westsideaction.com/laurie...ted-bike-lane/

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 9:53 PM

Quote:
The right hand turn lanes are quite narrow. Many cars backing up have been intruding into the thru-lanes. Having the nice wide bike lane narrows at the intersection is also a curious choice. I mean, I understand why they did it, they had to fit a bike lane and a turning lane in, but forcing bikes going down the hill into that narrow section seems dangerous. Especially if your typical Vancouver driver doesn't shoulder check on that right hand turn.

I can't believe I'm saying this but at least the Hornby/Dunsmuir lanes either banned right turns or instituted right-hand turn lights/signals. The small curb also isn't very visible and would be wholly insufficient should a car not see it and want to make a turn.
I think it's only a matter of time before a cyclist is hit or nearly hit by a car turning right off of nelson. And with the amount of speed a cyclist could gather down the hill it won't allow them much time (if any) to brake or avoid collision.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure