HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jun 20, 2016, 10:19 PM
ON3P Skis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPhil View Post
I agree, but I agree with wrenegade: there are better locations for the bike lanes.

There haven't been any new car lanes added to the city, while there has been countless new underground parking spots added in the city. Yet the city seems intent on taking away lanes from the major arterial streets in favor of keeping redundant parking stalls on other side streets. If I had the choice, I would much rather cycle on Helmken or Robson than Smithe or Nelson.

Robson is a good choice as without the through road at Howe, it will decrease traffic, yet still provide a through route for bikes. Robson is also also where I imagine a lot of cyclists want to go. Nelson and Smithe have long been designated arterial, so there isn't a lot of interesting businesses located on them. Without the bike lanes, there is actually no reason you would WANT to cycle on Nelson or Smithe.

It's not pleasant walking around downtown now, and crossing Nelson at any street east of Granville with cars stopped constantly in the intersection and blocking crosswalks is horrible. It is even slowing down buses on Granville.
I drove in this morning with my wife and discussed what would be the best route for her to ride to work (she works at the Royal Centre). She asked if she should use the new Smithe bike lane up to Hornby and then go down to Dunsmuir and then in. I told her no, it's probably a lot nicer of a route to turn at Beatty and then go directly to Dunsmuir and over. While Beatty isn't fully separated, you'd have a hard time saying Smithe is either. There is a break at each lane to provide access in and out in addition to right turn lanes at Beatty, Cambie, Hamilton, Homer and Seymour. It only doesn't mix with traffic at Richards (obviously as it's a one way street in the other direction). I showed her as we drove up the street with cars darting over there and she agreed it didn't look like a great experience (she is not that comfortable in traffic). In addition to that, we got to Seymour street and then the bike lane ends. "Are you supposed to turn on Seymour and go in with all that traffic?" Good question! I certainly wouldn't want to ride on Seymour. Or, do you continue up Smithe until Hornby, mixing with traffic the whole way? I don't know. But doesn't it seem like a pretty stupid idea to build a so-called "AAA" bike lane and then abruptly end it at a major cross street? Just one more reason why this bike lane should be on Robson, via the recently upgraded Beatty bike lane.

At least the Nelson one makes a little more sense with the Bike lane beginning at Richards where it comes off of a street with a recently upgraded bike lane, and connects at the south end to the Beatty bike lane. Of course it's much more dangerous with the entrances/exits to Yaletown, but at least it isn't a road to nowhere like Smithe.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2016, 10:23 PM

Agreed with your choice of route.

The only way Helmcken makes sense is after the west side Cambie Bridge sidewalk is widened - since that's closer to Helmcken than Smithe.
From the west sidewalk, cyclists could cut through the [pedestrian] Waterworks mews to the parkette at the foot of Helmcken.
Alternatively, a pedestrian/bike ramp from the west sidewalk down to Expo Blvd (maybe in conjunction with the development of the red gear site)
would be good, but that's just wishful thinking.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2016, 4:30 AM
ON3P Skis

I would LOVE to see the west sidewalk widened for bikes. A ramp down to Marinaside wouldn't be necessary I don't think, not with one on the other side. A staircase would be great though for pedestrians.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2016, 5:58 AM

RE: The Nelson/Smithe lanes ending at Richards, yeah seems kind of stupid now, but I think it's pretty obvious that they will connect to Hornby in the near future. It'll be fantastic!

And PS if anyone has ridden Beatty St., it's great. I'm all for more of those right turn lanes/lights!

Old Posted Jun 21, 2016, 7:25 PM

It's like they're building a network or something?

The network effect works for walking, cars, trains, etc., and it works the same way for cycling, too.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2016, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenegade View Post
I would LOVE to see the west sidewalk widened for bikes. ...
That's the plan (eventually)

Old Posted Jun 22, 2016, 7:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post
It's like they're building a network or something?

The network effect works for walking, cars, trains, etc., and it works the same way for cycling, too.
Exactly. The bigger the network, the more people will use it. Not people would drive if there were only 20 roads and there were gaps between them.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2016, 2:24 AM

Article about Point Grey Road residents complaining that the City will remove their encroachments from City property.

Of course the basic question is - why didn't the City enforce the prohibition on those encroachments in the first place?

Quote:
But in a twist of irony, almost everyone along the north side of Point Grey are going to lose those improvements as the city claims back land it owns as part of a road allowance. Trees, hedges, fences, parking places, electronic gates — anything built on city land — is about to go as the city begins a $6.4-million project to create a new sidewalk to complete the 28-kilometre seawall walkway ringing the city.

That the new connection is being built along Point Grey Road is also because of another quirk; the city has been frustrated in its efforts to build a seawall in front of the expensive properties, both by environmentalists and the property owners who object to their private beach access being interrupted.

With a road allowance of 66 feet, Point Grey is officially as wide as any other major city street. But over the decades, the city built a much narrower road and neighbours fronting it on both sides claimed the unused land. Elsewhere in the city, such property became grassy boulevards between the city’s sidewalks and roads.

But along Point Grey, the sidewalk butts up against the road, and in some places is a narrow pathway squished between the curb and tall, bushy hedges homeowners planted.
http://vancouversun.com/news/local-n...laim-back-land

Sort of rings like the Arbutus Right-of-Way - but flipped.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2016, 12:14 AM

Bike share station being installed:

I think this is on the Ontario bikeway just off the seawall.

credit: twitter

Old Posted Jun 24, 2016, 12:56 AM

Good looking docking stations. I'll be excited to see this launch.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 9:11 PM

I was surprised to see a separated bike lane being installed on Burrard Street south of the [Edit: Burrard] Bridge (i.e. 1st Ave to 4th Ave.)

Last edited by officedweller; Jun 29, 2016 at 9:29 PM.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
I was surprised to see a separated bike lane being installed on Burrard Street south of the Cambie Bridge (i.e. 1st Ave to 4th Ave.)
I assume you mean Burrard Bridge?

But yes it is a bit weird. Cyclist should just be directed to use Cypress, maybe even with a quick one block separated lane on W 1st to get over there or something.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 9:27 PM

Ugh major typo -yes, Burrard Street south of Burrard Bridge.

Protected bike lane southbound (beyond the park, past Petro-Canada, strip mall)
Painted bike lane northbound (past Chevron, Audi, Lamborghini)

Found it noted here:

http://vancouver.ca/streets-transpor...placement.aspx

Last edited by officedweller; Jun 29, 2016 at 11:37 PM.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 11:21 PM

Didn't know about this, but it's exciting!

I wonder why they only chose to build the separated lane on the southbound side of the street rather than both? Maybe something to do with bike traffic volumes being higher southbound on Burrard?

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 11:38 PM

There's the width of the RoW and the new turn lanes, but maybe they think there's more of a need for it going uphill, than downhill?
They would have gained the space for the separated lane from the installation of the turn lanes.
(i.e. removal of 2 lanes/parking, replaced by alternating turn lanes and bike path)

PS - there was one island painted out on the pavement that looked exceeding large - maybe @ 3rd Ave - could be a Mobi station.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 11:44 PM

Quote:
There's the width of the RoW and the new turn lanes, but maybe they think there's more of a need for it going uphill, than downhill?
It probably has to do with uphill vs. downhill. On Yukon, south of Broadway, there's a dedicated bike lane going up the hill but just the "bike with chevron" painted in the middle of the road going downhill.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 11:51 PM

It's not even on this map from November 2015, which shows upgrades to Cypress.
More fodder for the "failure to consult" camp.

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2015/12/n...ke-lanes-2020/

Old Posted Jun 30, 2016, 12:10 AM

Quote:
It's not even on this map from November 2015, which shows upgrades to Cypress.
More fodder for the "failure to consult" camp.

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2015/12/n...ke-lanes-2020/
IMO, it's a nice little bonus that makes sense as you don't really need 6 lanes for that section of Burrard. Personally as someone who visits RYU pretty often as part of my business, it will make my life a lot easier.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2016, 5:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idunno View Post
Didn't know about this, but it's exciting!

I wonder why they only chose to build the separated lane on the southbound side of the street rather than both? Maybe something to do with bike traffic volumes being higher southbound on Burrard?
Wow. I had no idea and I live very close.

I did notice they never did (yet) put in the right turn only on 7th WB at Burrard as a previous notice said would be done.

Exciting to see the protected lane SB on Burrard, and makes a nicer option than diverting to slower pace of Cypress (which can often be somewhat precarious between Cornwall and 4th)

Old Posted Jun 30, 2016, 6:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroundtheworld View Post
IMO, it's a nice little bonus that makes sense as you don't really need 6 lanes for that section of Burrard.
Esp. since it will lead to a 4 lane Burrard Bridge.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure