HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 9:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
Second groundbreaking of the year!!

More pressingly though, how do people feel about a Los Angeles Mega Thread? I asked earlier but recieved no response. I would be happy to create one, with everyone's help of course. As a paramod, I have the ability to create threads, and close existing threads. I feel like combining the LA Metro Thread and the LA Downtown Thread has been a long time coming, and would help facilitate increased discussion.
This is officially the THIRD groundbreaking of 2017 for DTLA. Amp Lofts, 1133 S Hope St and Park Fifth Tower.

http://urbanize.la/post/long-awaited...y-pushing-dirt

http://urbanize.la/post/28-story-tow...rt-hope-street

http://urbanize.la/post/long-awaited...ershing-square

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 9:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
Illithid Dude, I'm in support of a combined LA thread, but will leave it up to the community at large. People, please chime in accordingly.

If the majority of people want a combined thread, it can be as easy as copy/pasting the code of first posts of both threads and combining into a new one, then organizing by height and or neighborhood. If we have someone who updates a development map, that could sit up at the top as a link. You should be able to archive threads as a paramod as well. If not, I can archive both threads once the new one is created.
Combining just LA city would be cool. Don't really want discussions about OC, Riverside, etc on here.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 12:11 PM

MEGA site discussion: as a out of state visitor what ever is decided for the site is fine. In my case my interests have been dt which I try to follow almost daily, I do follow some non downtown projects, but not to often. I'm wondering if the non dt site can be renamed, and include all the districts we feel need more attention with the increase of activity, and leave the dt only site as is?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 2:01 PM

Over the years having someone with enough time to consistently update just the downtown page has been an issue. And this was when downtown wasn't booming. Now that downtown and LA in general are booming it will be a significant challenge to maintain a combined list. Already we're saying that we need two people for just downtown.

Also I think that conversations will be hard to follow. I vote for separate threads.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaFC View Post
For the purposes of discussion flow, would prefer them to be separate. Not a huge fan of Long Beach and Valley projects popping up in the middle of a DTLA discussion. Downtown LA is a unique animal, and thus should be discussed separately.
Yes, I agree. And since we are a forum which recognizes downtown as a place of uniqueness, rather than the historic decades long ignoring and negligence, then we should treat it as such. Two threads are necessary.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 3:17 PM
life is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaFC View Post
For the purposes of discussion flow, would prefer them to be separate. Not a huge fan of Long Beach and Valley projects popping up in the middle of a DTLA discussion. Downtown LA is a unique animal, and thus should be discussed separately.
Agreed

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 4:16 PM

Little Tokyo Galleria Development Revealed

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 4:21 PM

What about a 213 thread? From what I've heard said on the thread, it sounds like maybe a central LA 213 thread might work... Downtown, K-Town, Hollywood. My interests are mainly with DTLA though.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eightball View Post
Agreed
I agree too.

We should keep two different topics.
It would probably be to messy.

Real DTLA Development Group

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 5:22 PM

Keep them separate. Downtown is a different entity and a totally different level of interest.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 5:39 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Count me in with the people who prefer 2 separate threads and would like to keep Downtown boundaries how we already define them, which include City West, Chinatown, USC and the Arts District.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 5:57 PM
Paramoderator

I was thinking of formatting a potential LA Mega Thread so that the top was all high rises / mid rises under construction in Los Angeles, and then the proposed buildings would be broken up by neighborhood. I just feel like Los Angeles is not a centralized city, and shouldn't be treated as such. Moreover I feel that often times conversation has lapsed here more so than other threads, and combing both treads would help alleviate that.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 6:23 PM

This is the prettiest I could make Broadway Palace

Broadway Palace by Hunter, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 6:29 PM

lol, where did Palmer get those cheap looking vinyl windows, home depot?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 7:36 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Can we get a tally going?

I vote separate.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyv View Post
That's hideous. Don't get me wrong, the deadmall it'll be replacing is awful (even though I have fond memories of it from when I would go there back in the 80s), but its replacement, from its renderings, already looks dated.

~ Charles Bukowski

Last edited by sopas ej; Mar 21, 2017 at 7:52 PM.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstructDTLA View Post
This is the prettiest I could make Broadway Palace

Broadway Palace by Hunter, on Flickr
It's good to know I'm not the only one who never liked this. It looks just like his other stuff, just with a brick veneer.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 7:49 PM

^^I like the scale, but the design is pretty weak. I think it looks better in the highly rendered pictures, but it isn't ideal. However honestly I'm fine with it. If it was south park I'd feel different, but it's better then anything else in Little Tokyo.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
It's good to know I'm not the only one who never liked this. It looks just like his other stuff, just with a brick veneer.
No doubt, has to be the same architect as all the Italian travesties. Let's hope for some big leafy trees to hide this monstrosity.

Regarding the Little Tokyo Galleria project, I would love to know how the "Korean-American owners" plan to finance this big bold development.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 9:01 PM

^I'll be interested how they lease retail with the super tinted windows. Travesty it's in the middle of all of the action of south Broadway across from the Ace.
"highrises are tall and shiny and expensive and city-like!!! I'm eternally happy our 4 sq miles of shiny highrises is finally getting more shiny neighbors!! If we can't actually be a real city, at least we can look like one in the postcards!!! LAMG, citywatch, bjornson, if you're listening, post more pictures and comments!" - edluva

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations